Artifacting in certain videos

• Just got my Raspberry Pi3 in the mail today and am already having fun playing around with it. I opted for the LibreELEC OS.
    My main question as the thread states, all of my HD blu-ray backups are all done with the same program, same codec, I use Ripbot264 and configure using MP4. All the videos that I have on my drive play fine in all Windows machines to include playing through Kodi. On the RPi there are certain videos that are getting a lot of artifacts with discoloration and almost unwatchable. I would opt to say it is video not displaying properly but I am new to all things RPi and LibreELEC. I have the latest releases for all of this since I just got everything today and was playing around with remotes, I tried an old Windows Media remote but cabling is annoying, tried a Wii remote and it works but very basic. I found Kore and this app is amazing.

• Welcome to forums.

If you have issues, it´s always the best if you provide a full debug log with debug logging enabled. So please take a look here for a How-To

HOW TO:Provide Logfile - LibreELEC

To provide the log...

- enable debug logging in system settings (system settings -> system -> logging -> enable debug logging)
    - reboot LibreELEC
    - reproduce your issue as fast as you can (don´t do anything else)
    - provide the log like explained in the wiki in the way which is easiest for you

Greetings

• It looks like the RPi is skipping frames. That can have many causes.
    You can see if that is the case by typing the letter 'o' while playing a movie.

What bitrate are the video's? Can you encode a video with lower bitrate and try? Also use a main level 4.1 profile or lower.

• First movie, not sure which line you wanted but here you go. With artifacts
    D(Video: h264 (High 10)(avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p10le, 1920x1080[SAR1:1 DAR 16:9], 8248kb/s)
    Second movie, no artifacts, plays fine.
    D(Video: h264 (High)(avc1 / 0x31637661),yuv420p, 1920x1080[SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 4617 kb/s)

I have checked a couple others, looks like I upgraded Ripbot at some point and the High 10 is at fault. Not sure why I started using that. Would getting a license help this out and do hardware encoding? I really don't feel like tracking down all the High 10's and re-encoding all of them. I mean if it comes down to it, I guess I will have too but would having something like the VC-1 License help in this situation?

• Found the MediaInfo program and it was easier than I thought to track down all my "High 10" files. I will see if I can just re-encode them to the normal yuv. Would this bring up any information that LibreELEC needs for future updates to keep up to speed with growing codecs?

• Found the MediaInfo program and it was easier than I thought to track down all my "High 10" files. I will see if I can just re-encode them to the normal yuv. Would this bring up any information that LibreELEC needs for future updates to keep up to speed with growing codecs?

No, Kodi on LibreElec can play the files, otherwise you would not see anything.

The problem is that the RPi hardware decoder does not support high10 and the processor is not fast enough to decode high10 files in software. And that is why you see artifacts.
    There is no solution for the RPi.

Edited once, last by Nailig (August 2, 2016 at 2:49 PM).

• Well, I didn't ever say the files couldn't be played, just that it was unwatchable. I was referring to the codec but vbat99 already answered that with out of scope of the hardware comment which I understand now that I have looked deeper into the Kodi site looking for other things.
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys/girls.
    Going to just keep all my HD recordings in the level 4 scale so I can bring them with me when traveling with the RPi/Libre