LE 8.2.3 DVB MPEG artefacts still present on LE only

• Hi all,

@CvH has been trying to help me and has suggested I open a new thread, so here it is :D

I'm still having an issue with artefacts on mpeg DVB live streams/recorded tv when viewed on the LE box. The artefacts are usually every 5 seconds or so when there's fast motion eg. F1 racing. The artefacts are always little black squares.

• VDPAU is on.
    • Turning de-interlace off doesn't make a difference.
    • Playing back the recorded stream displays the artefacts in exactly the same place as watching live.
    • Live streams & recorded tv playback is fine on another windows machine, which suggests not a DVB issue. Continuity errors = 0.
    • The problem is present on both my USB and PCI tuners.
    • H264 streams are fine.
    • Community builds with older nvidia drivers don't make a difference ( Releases · sammy2142/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub )

I'm running LE generic build 8.2.3 / TvH 4.3-985 with this (old) hardware :

Intel core2duo T9500

Nvidia GT218 (Geforce 210)

DVBSky T982 (PCI)

Sundtek MediaTV Pro (USB)

Given that the fix for the issue jahutchi resolved is now released into 8.2.3, is there also some other unidentified problem that came with LE 8 ? Up until LE8 release, I was using CvH's community 7.x.x builds w/ TBS drivers without any artefacts. @augenweide is also having similar problems, but different hardware.

Logs attached.

log-2018-01-23-22.27.44.zip

Can anyone help ?

Cheers,

Neil

• as you have a lot DVB HW attatched

Code
    TBS 5922SE
    DVBSky T982
    Xbox One Digital TV Tuner
    Sundtek

about which Tuner we are talking about ? also could you try to remove the other tuners ?

did you tried to use Tvheadend 4.2 ?

• Hi CvH,

Thanks for the reply. It occurs on both these tuners : DVBSky T982 (PCI) & Sundtek (USB).

Will downgrade to 4.2 & unplug other tuners as suggested and then report back...

• Hi CvH,

Problem still exists when downgrade to 4.2.

Using Sundtek USB tuner LE 8.2.3 :

Watching tvh live TV stream on LE = artefacts

Watch same tvh stream on Windows laptop (Kodi) = no artefacts

Recording on LE = artefacts

Same recording on win machine = no artefacts

I thought i'd download a MPEG-TS sample file to see if that plays back ok on LE... Chose one close to the TvH recorded format. Could only find progressive though : 1080p@25fps - Main@High.

Plays back with no problems. I have the media info for both files if it would help any, but guess i'm clutching at straws.

Any other testing I can do ?

Cheers,

Neil

• Might be worth trying to disable the emby addon to see if thats the culprit. I noticed some emby activity in the logs around the same time as video buffer timeout errors.....so just something else to rule out.

• Hi guys,

I've done some further testing on this. Installed LE 8.2.3 to a live usb and booted from that.

Played back the recorded .ts file and have the same artefacts showing on the same frames.

Does this suggest GPU driver issue?

Maybe will try live usb of 7.9, to confirm if it's an LE8 problem.

Cheers,

Neil

• Are you able to try LE9.0/Kodi 18/linux 4.14.15 builds, as these naturally include updated everything, and see if you have the same artefacts?

Uploading a sample ts file (small one!) might be useful if you can detail where you see the artefacts and then others can view it on their systems (even if they don't have DVB hardware, which would help rule out DVB entirely) to see if they see the same artefacts.

If this is a GPU issue I'm not really sure what we can expect from Nvidia as this would be with their legacy GPU driver which is on it's last legs.

• Hi Milhouse,

Thanks for the reply. Ahh I didn't know those builds were available :) I will test and come back to you.

Also please see the .ts file I recorded just now here:

On my main LE box (nvidia card) - shows artefacts when the people are running round the curve of the track (both when watching live & recording playback).

On my second LE box (intel GM45 integrated graphics) the recording appears to playback fine.

On the Win 10 laptop the recording also appears to playback fine.

If it's a case of a new graphics card, what current nvidia series is not considered legacy ?

Cheers,

Neil