USB Harddrive Not Being Detected Anymore

• So i have been using Openelec in the past and moved over to LibreELEC a while back and never had this issue before. Basically LibreELEC doesnt appear to detect my 4TB USB Seagate harddrive anymore when i hook it up to my Raspberry PI 3 device, i get no notification that the USB HDD has been mounted and when i try and browse for the drive its no where to be found BUT if i remove the drive i do get a notification that the USB HDD has been removed wihich is odd!?

I have even move all my movies over to a completely different USB harddrive and whilst that did work for a while yet again it just stopped been detected after i hook it up to my main PC (running Windows 10) to copy some movies over to it once i plugged it back into the Pi it wasnt being detected again!!. I have a feel what Windows 10 is somehow altering the file structure or something when i hook it up to my main PC thats causing this issue.....is this even possible?, as it only stops being detected once i have hooked it up to my mian PC (running Windows 10) and placed some new movies on the USB HDD.

Any help please?

Edited once, last by BlockABoots (July 30, 2016 at 11:12 PM).

• Well this is the thing, if it gives me a message that the harddrive has been removed then that would suggest that it has been mounted when i connect it, but i dont get any notification when i connect the drive at all and the harddrive isnt listed any where when i going to the movies tab of LibreElec or browse for it, any ideas if it is indeed being mouted why it doesnt show up anywhere?

Here the relivent bit of the dmesg file.....

[ 344.530573] usb 1-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 4 using dwc_otg
    [ 344.668882] usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0bc2, idProduct=3320
    [ 344.668906] usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=1
    [ 344.668918] usb 1-1.2: Product: Expansion Desk
    [ 344.668929] usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: Seagate
    [ 344.668942] usb 1-1.2: SerialNumber: NA4MGRF4
    [ 344.669895] usb 1-1.2: The driver for the USB controller dwc_otg_hcd does not support scatter-gather which is
    [ 344.669916] usb 1-1.2: required by the UAS driver. Please try an other USB controller if you wish to use UAS.
    [ 344.670016] usb 1-1.2: The driver for the USB controller dwc_otg_hcd does not support scatter-gather which is
    [ 344.670030] usb 1-1.2: required by the UAS driver. Please try an other USB controller if you wish to use UAS.
    [ 344.670044] usb-storage 1-1.2:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
    [ 344.672766] usb-storage 1-1.2:1.0: Quirks match for vid 0bc2 pid 3320: 2000000
    [ 344.672938] scsi host0: usb-storage 1-1.2:1.0
    [ 345.674684] scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access Seagate Expansion Desk 0711 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
    [ 345.677760] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Spinning up disk...
    [ 346.680543] ..........ready
    [ 355.711125] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 976754645 4096-byte logical blocks: (4.00 TB/3.64 TiB)
    [ 355.719153] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
    [ 355.719173] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 4f 00 00 00
    [ 355.719590] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
    [ 355.789140] sda: sda1
    [ 355.792281] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk

Any ideas from that?

Edited once, last by BlockABoots (July 31, 2016 at 1:00 AM).

• I have even move all my movies over to a completely different USB harddrive and whilst that did work for a while yet again it just stopped been detected after i hook it up to my main PC (running Windows 10) to copy some movies over to it once i plugged it back into the Pi it wasnt being detected again!!.

Sounds like you just pulled the plug from the drive after you copied stuff over. This marks the drive "dirty" and LE won't mount it. You need to plug the drive back into your PC and run chkdsk on it. After that eject the drive in Windows first, and wait for Windows to tell you it's finished before pulling the usb plug out of the pc.

Edited once, last by Grimson (July 31, 2016 at 1:37 AM).

• Heres what i got back.......

devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=370008k,nr_inodes=92502,mode=755)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 on /flash type vfat (ro,noatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
    /dev/mmcblk0p2 on /storage type ext4 (rw,noatime,data=ordered)
    /dev/loop0 on / type squashfs (ro,relatime)
    tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
    tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,mode=755)
    tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
    mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
    tmpfs on /var type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
    debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
    configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
    tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
    none on /tmp/cores type overlay (rw,relatime,lowerdir=/usr/lib/libretro,upperdir=/storage/.config/retroarch/cores,workdir=/storage/.tmp/cores-workdir)
    none on /tmp/database type overlay (rw,relatime,lowerdir=/usr/share/retroarch/database,upperdir=/storage/.config/retroarch/database,workdir=/storage/.tmp/database-workdir)
    none on /tmp/autoconfig type overlay (rw,relatime,lowerdir=/usr/share/retroarch/autoconfig,upperdir=/storage/.config/retroarch/autoconfig,workdir=/storage/.tmp/autoconfig-workdir)
    none on /tmp/assets type overlay (rw,relatime,lowerdir=/usr/share/retroarch/assets,upperdir=/storage/.config/retroarch/assets,workdir=/storage/.tmp/assets-workdir)
    none on /tmp/shaders type overlay (rw,relatime,lowerdir=/usr/share/retroarch/shaders,upperdir=/storage/.config/retroarch/shaders,workdir=/storage/.tmp/shaders-workdir)
    fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)

Edited once, last by BlockABoots (August 1, 2016 at 9:41 PM).

• So is there a command i can use to disable the CONFIG_USB_UAS ?, its do that the drivers did work but after i hooked it up to my Windows 10 machines to copy some movies over and then later connected it up to my RPi again it didnt detect the drive but for what ever reason when i remove the drive a message pops up in LibreElec saying the drive has been removed.

I dont usually remove my USB devices from the task bar i usually just pull the USB cable out, maybe this has cause an issue??

• As someone who seems to have this exact same issue, has this been fixed? What are the recommendations because I've been running into this over and over again.

I have the Rpi3, using the MediaPi Plus case (includes powered USB hub in case) and running the current stable release. Should I upgrade to the latest alpha to see if this will result in my rpi3 seeing my hard drive again?

• OK, I finally got around to this. I used the latest alpha release and it did seem to help but with the trade off that none of my videos wanted to play or played with stuttering, my skin broke and I had a horrible time navigating. I guess that's why they call it an alpha release, right?

Trouble seems to be the UAS (which I can confirm doesn't seem to be there in the alpha release). Is it possible to get 'only' a kernel update which fixes this for those of us suffering from it? Some kind of hot fix or patch? Thanks.

Edit: Have been restarting from scratch (the backup didn't work for some reason when I reformatted the card and tried to restore it from my flash drive) and using the 7.01 version of LibreElec to test an assumption. Apparently while I still get the UAS warning in this version it still mounts the drive. Anyone know what might have changed between 7.01 and 7.02 to make things a problem?