Some mkv.-Files won't play

• [TL;DR: :thumbup: SUCCESS ! :thumbup:HVEC video playing now - and quite decent I might add!]

My switch to a non-zombiefied or frankensteinized LibreElec (ditch berryboot) worked well. I did everything new, no backup, just to be sure to have a clean system. The scraping of my media took quite long but now it's all done and I've even installed the most important (to me) add-ons.

I played a bit with config.txt after setting it to writeable (good thing there are tutorials for everything, I find Putty a bit scary, WinSCP way more intuitive, especially since it provides an editor with familiar look and feel. Yes, my Raspberry Pi is my first foray into the world of Linux and I admit I like my UIs with a capital G).

In the clean install, the graphics memory for 1024MB of RAM was already set to 256 as smp had recommended.

I did play a bit with the overclocking options after reading up a bit on that. Before that I exchanged my DC adapter for one that came with my Sony cell phone that was nominally better (5V at 1.5 Ampere instead of 1.2). However, that led to LibreElec showing the "lightning" symbol for power trouble under all circumstances, even non-overclocked. So I switched back to the 1.2A adapter and I'm having no immediate problems with the following settings:

Code
    arm_freq=1000
    sdram_freq=500
    core_freq=500
    over_voltage=2
    temp_limit=80

On these settings (Raspberry Pi2, I believe the B version), playback of my HVEC file not only did not cause my system to crash (like before and just like smp experienced when he set his graphics memory to 160MB (I have NO idea where that setting came from)) - playback was actually quite decent and much better than I assumed after your indication of the Pi2's limitations in that regard. I find it totally watchable, at least judging from my 2-minute-test of one file.

Also: I did all of that on the newest release of the 8.x-channel.

With such a good outcome I find it sensible to push back upgrading to LibreELEC 9 when there's a stable release.

A BIG thank you :thumbup: to everybody who chimed in on this thread. Everybody was very helpful to a newbie like me! You made my day and it's forums like this that make projects like LibreELEC accessible to the masses. Vielen Dank.

I find the Libre Computer project very interesting that I only read about yesterday and hope to be able to afford Le Potato in a few months.

• temp_limit=80

This shouldn't be necessary, as it just means your Pi will throttle the CPU if it reaches a temperature of 80C instead of the higher default temperature limit which is 85C.

I would also recommend using "gpu_freq=500" instead of "core_freq=500".