Cable TV not working without local network/DHCP?

• Hi,

sorry if this is an old topic, I'm still a newbie with LE... :blush:

Today I wasn't able to get my HTPC with LE + THV + DVB-C card running for cable TV viewing (unusual long time to boot, then messages from Kodi like "TVHeadend server not connected"). No change after several shutdowns/reboots.

Then I found my DSL router to be in some error state regarding DSL sync. After rebooting the router, and another reboot of LE, live TV was working again.

The error log

ERROR: AddOnLog: Tvheadend HTSP Client: pvr.hts - unable to connect to 127.0.0.1:9982

indicates there was a network problem. But, everything is installed on the same machine, and localhost should always work...

I get the same error when I cut the local network access (remove WIFI stick).

Is it true that LE needs access to the local network /the internet / the router's DHCP service to connect to TVH on the same PC ? :huh:

Thank you!

• Hi CvH,

I found the information that TVH server won't start when the network is not available, because of it's IPTV function (even when this is not used). Disabling the network check at startup in the config file is said to be useful. I'll try this today or tomorrow.

Thank you!

• When the following 2 lines

Code
    After=network-online.service
    Requires=network-online.service

are removed from

/storage/.config/system.d/service.tvheadend42.service

TVH starts and live TV works also without an active network.

• It also works with "Wants=", but the boot time is as long as with "Requires=", when no network is available. About 30-60 seconds longer than normally (tested on a Raspberry-Pi 3).

• network-online.service has a fixed 30sec timeout, not ideal in your case.

Code
    After=network-online.target
    Wants=graphical.target

looks like a safe configuration and network timeout can be configured via Network Timeout in LE Settings if needed.

• When the following 2 lines

Code
    After=network-online.service
    Requires=network-online.service

are removed from

/storage/.config/system.d/service.tvheadend42.service

TVH starts and live TV works also without an active network.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Perfect!!!

TKS