Automatic configuration of LibreELEC

• Many SIP phones use a DHCP option which specifies a global TFTP server. The phones then read a file (usually based on the MAC address) which contain configuration information.

Would it be possible to add something like this to LibreELEC?

I suggest that if the DHCP server sends a TFTP server address, that LE would first try to read a file based on the MAC address ("LibreConfig_<mac>.ini", for example). If this file doesn't exist, then LE would try "LibreConfig_initial.ini". If no appropriate file is found, then the tftp server is ignored. I would prefer the .ini file would simply be a batch file to be executed by the player, but there are other possibilities.

WIth this, it would be very easy to auto configure any number of LE players, and to update the configuration in the future as appropriate.

• Unless I'm missing something about PXE netboot, it's not what I want. I don't want to set up a complex networking boot environment, but just want to be able to get configuration files automatically.

Is there a way to use PXE to just get some text/config files without have to set up a full boot environment?

• I'm going to try to write something to implement what I want, probably in Python. Yes, I understand I have to modify a number of files.

I've got 20+ LE devices on my network (converted from OSMC on RPI to LE on Odroid C2) and maintaining them is a hassle.

• Most people with large numbers of devices PXE boot them. It doesn't result in config files being replicated, but it does result in all the config being stored in a single server, which makes updates and the process of changing config easier.