Newbie help

• Hi guys, complete newbie here needing some much needed help.

I have an NUC which I have installed the latest release which is sorted and up and running (great OS btw).

I know there are issues with Samba and herin lies my problem.

After viewing the release notes and trawling google I simply can not get access to my networked PC's via Libreelec.

I have a windows 7 machine as a server which has been storing and sharing my media no problems with Android and my laptops etc. but not Libreelec.

Any help would be appreciated. Driving me mad lol.

Thanks

• Thanks, got it working but had to force smb1 :(

manage to see Libreelec on all my devices now. One more thing I need to try and get is I have a usb with my music on plugged into Libreelec. How do I share the \var\media folder (where the usb is showing as being) like the storage folder does for my Recorded TV, TV Shows etc so the USB is visible across all devices?

• Your posts aren't really clear as to what the problem is/was - are you having issues with the LibreELEC Kodi client accessing your Windows shares, or your other Android/Windows devices accessing the LibreELEC Samba server?

Thanks, got it working but had to force smb1

Assuming your issue is with the Kodi client accessing your Windows share, then that's really odd because Windows 7 (at least Ultimate, which is what I'm using) supports SMB2 (specifically, SMB 2.10 but not SMB3 which is supported by Win8/Win10).

You should be able to connect to a Windows 7 share with the default settings In Kodi > Services > SMB Client (Expert/Advanced settings level required):

* Min Protocol = None (ie. SMB1 for now - this might change to be SMB2, specifically SMB 2.10, as default in future releases)

* Max Protocol = None (ie. the maximum supported protocol for the client, currently this is SMB3 specifically SMB 3.11)

With these default settings Kodi will try to establish an SMB1 connection with the server (which may or may not work depending on your server configuration) before proceeding to establish an SMB2 connection (which should succeed with Windows 7).

Since the Samba client will always attempt an SMB1 connection whenever SMB1 is enabled on the client - even before proceeding with the SMB2 connection - you should always set the Min Protocol to SMB2 (and disable SMB1 on the client) if you want to minimise the risk of any SMB1 exploit. You should of course also disable SMB1 on your server(s) too, however this might be impossible if you have older clients that can only connect using SMB1.

Anonymous Windows shares are NOT supported by Kodi so you should ensure that access to the Windows 7 share is restricted with a username/password and that "password authentication" is enabled on the Windows share. Kodi should then prompt for a username/password when accessing the share.

Network browsing is supported by Kodi only if the client is using SMB1, and even then it may not work.

You haven't said what the exact problem is but it if it's the inability to browse the network then this is a known issue resulting from SMB1 being disabled in most servers these days, and even when SMB1 is enabled the network browsing feature may not work (it depends on numerous flaky parts of Samba working together, which rarely happens) so just add your sources using the "Add network location..." option, and always use "min protocol = SMB2" for the client (and ideally the Windows server).

The LibreELEC Samba Server on the other hand is configured differently using slightly "harder" security settings by default (go to Settings > LibreELEC Settings > Services for the Samba server settings). The LibreELEC Server supports "server min protocol = SMB2" and "server max protocol = SMB3" ie. it accepts from clients only SMB 2.10 to SMB 3.11 connections.

Windows 7 should not have a problem connecting to the LibreELEC Samba server when configured with default settings (unless maybe you have a Windows firewall issue). Your Android devices on the other hand may have problems if they only support SMB1, but setting "server min protocol = SMB1" should fix that (however it does leave you with an elevated security risk, which is your choice).