SMB shares on Windows computer

• Like many, I'm having trouble accessing my windows shares from my raspberry pi 2 running libreelec. There's a lot of reading in the readme of the latest release. I have a lot of learning to do, as I've read it all a few times and got myself more and more confused. But one step at a time..

My question is simple. Am I required to have login (password) on my windows 10 (with creators update) machine for LibreElec to access my shares? Previously I didn't have a password on my windows machine.

• The fact that the whole worldwide 'WannaCry' debacle could access computers via Samba without login credentials is the big reason for the Samba version bump. So, the answer to your question is 'yes'. It's funny that people still think that they can get away with networking without any login/password. But people can be lazy, I know.

• The technical answer is "depends on what combination of patches are on the Win10 box" .. hence the release notes cannot be explicit, but in the long-term MS is pushing the removal of guest and unauthenticated access so the sooner you bite the bullet and move to authenticated shares, the sooner you (probably) don't have to reconfigure things again :)