Subtitles not displaying

• Hi guys.

Complete beginner and new to LibreELEC. So my question may be dumb.

When I play a movie with subtitles, I seem to have to download the subtitles - (even though the movie folder contains the .srt file already). Does Kodi not recognise existing subtitles or are we forced to download subtitles in any event? I use a Raspberry PI2 with LibreELEC 8.02.1. As I mentioned, complete beginner.

Thank you guys in advance.

• The .srt subtitles in movie folders work as expected, no need to download any. Check that yours have EXACTLY same name as your movie files.

There is also an option to enable subtitles, do you have that option enabled?

• same problem here. I have stock subtitle files in the video file folders that work with all my devices (tv, tablet, iPhone, pc, laptop, ps3) for years now. I'm using a upnp server. Even changed a sub from 'movietitle'.srt to 'movietitle'.en_US.srt to see if that's was wrong but still nothing. Even if I go and select it manually it doesn't work. Gor any pointers for me? Thank u in advance.

• I'm using a upnp server.

This may be your problem. By default, UPnP doesn't support external subtitle files AFAIK.

Things may have improved but stopped trying UPnP connections years ago.

One way would be to remux the video files with the subtitles as internal, for example with the application MKVtoolnix. But that's probably a time-consuming effort for you. Doing one video as a test would be useful.