SMB question?

• I realize this is not specifically a libreelec problem, but I am confused about SMB in libreelec 8.2.0.

I hope someone is willing to clear some of this up for me or point me in the right direction to find answers.

I have 2 chrome boxes and a raspberry pi 3 running libreelec 8.2

from my kubuntu 17.10 laptop, when attempting to connect to libreelec/kodi via smb I must change to smb1 as minimal. Connection works fine.

However it was my understanding/misunderstanding that sm2 and smb3 good, smb1 bad. Also kubuntu and libreelec 8.2 both use smb3. So why the need to use smb1 in order to connect.

Thank you for any assistance

• So why the need to use smb1 in order to connect.

The LibreELEC Samba server supports SMB1, SMB2 and SMB3. By default the LibreELEC Samba server is configured to accept only SMB2 and SMB3 connections.

Assuming Kubuntu 17.10 is using a version of Samba older than 4.7.0 (Ubuntu 17.10 is using 4.6.7), then Kubuntu 17.10 may not be configured to negotiate better than SMB1, which is why you cannot connect to the LibreELEC Samba server with default configuration.

On your Kubuntu laptop, edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and add the following lines if not already present:

Code
    client min protocol = SMB2
    client max protocol = SMB3

Now Kubuntu will be able to negotiate connections as high as SMB3_11.

It will not be able to negotiate SMB1 connections - leaving SMB1 enabled is a security risk even if you never use SMB1 connections.

There is a known bug in Samba 4.7.0 which will cause problems - a "File exists" error - if you enable authentication in the LibreELEC Samba server and then try to connect. This issue will be fixed in the next LibreELEC 8.2 release, so for now you will need to disable user authentication in the LibreELEC Samba server.