gpio lirc problem

• I have a pi 1B with a gpio IR receiver. I just deciphered the wiki notes.

Added the dtoverlay=gpio-ir line to config.txt, enabled lirc in LE settings, added "** hauppauge" to a new file /storage/.config/rc_maps.cfg.

My problem is that is not permanent. I have to do

Code
    ir-keytable -a /storage/.config/rc_maps.cfg

every reboot.

Any idea what the problem is?

• On further review; it seems to have suddenly started working. The only thing I did was load the cfg file into notepad++ and re save it.

Here are the oddities:

I had a USB vista MCE remote plugged in and both worked, contrary to the wiki.

Both remotes work whether lirc is turned on or not, contrary to the wiki.

It is good when things fix themselves just from pulling your hare out. This is the second thing to do it on this try with LE.

The word that describes what grows out the top of your head is censored!!!!!?

• USB remote dongles are often not configurable via lirc or ir-keytable, they appear to the system like a USB keyboard. The Gmyle / Ortek VRC-1100 dongle is one such example, Another common example for this class of IR receivers is the FLIRC dongle.

gpio-ir is one of the most flexible IR receivers as it supports both in-kernel decoding and can also be used with lirc. In this case it's important that only one configuration method (either ir-keytable or lirc) is used, otherwise you have 2 configuration schemes fighting against each other - a classical race condition.

so long,

Hias