How to get smooth video playback of films?

• I've just gone through hell doing a fresh install of 8.2.0 on my intel boxes.. (ivy bridge gen)

Finally got them up and find I cannot get smooth video playback.

If I set the options to change refresh rate but do not sync to display then it stutters a lot every second or less.

If I then check the sync to playback as well as the change refresh rate then it still stutters a lot and jerks and i also loose the ability to pass through audio such as dd, hd, atmos etc.

Not setting either option it stutters a tiny bit every second or so - this is what is has always has done which is to be expected if frame rate matching isn't done..

Really wish I hadn't wiped and done a fresh install of 8.2.0 now :(

I was running 7.xx then wiped and did 8.0 then upgrade to 8.02.

I'm sure the options have changed somewhere along the versions - sure it also used to allow dd,dts etc pass through with refresh rate and sync playback to display ticked?

Confused!

Would re-install 8.0 but its taken me 12 straight hours to get 8.2.0 installed and working :(

• Thanks Klojum.

I didn't use a backup for 8.2.0 as I wanted a fresh install due to the random crashes and reboots - thought it may have been unused addons of changes in config causing problems you see..

Bit like a fresh install of windows and all its apps often helps.

To be honest I would have stuck with version LE 7.x but had to update as the wife uses iplayer and itvplayer addons which were no longer running under that version.

The older LE was a lot more stable for me, random crashes and reboots were few and far between and refresh rate switching worked great. Not anymore and hard to get logs when the system locks up and truncates the logs..

One avenue is that it maybe the tvheadend addon causing a lot of the lock ups. Just means more headaches as then will have to try and find some other tv server which means no longer running on the synology which means another computer 24/7 and costs etc.

Fun and games indeed!

I'll post logs (I assume you mean the one in the menu which goes to paste bin?) which I get home tonight..

Cheers!

• Hi Klojum,

Here are the links to the logs :)

GeRb

YTPW

One for the .old as well, I did a reboot and repeated the playing of the same film.

I've tried connecting the pc direct to the tv in case it was some interaction with my avr (bought a new marantz one in may to replace the pioneer) but exactly the same stuttering..

• OK, I have gone back to 8.20 on both my intel ivybridge boxes.

While testing I thought I'd see what the output was like on my projector and was surprised when it played almost ok!

Back to my main tv (samsung) and turned off judder/blur options and this give almost smooth play back.

My other tv does not have these options (more basic samsung) and also has some stutters.

Why does the latest version of LE need me to change tv settings that have not been changed since 2010 when I first set it up?

I can only think that the new versions output video in some slightly different format? (pixel clocks/sync?)

I still get a stutter every few seconds though.

I downloaded the kodi sample videos for testing frame rates (the ones with scrolling vertical bars moving across the screen) - very useful!

There is still a STRANGE problem though:

If the UI is set to 60hz and I play the 60fps clip with refresh rate switching on (although this wouldn't change in this case), then I still get a very small stutter every 4 seconds?!

Surely a 60fps clip played at 60hz output should be smooth with no regular stutters?

(I've found the best compromise so far is ui refresh rate set to 60hz and no rate switching. Both tv's and projector play 23/24 ok ish, 50 fairly smooth no stutters and 60 mostly smooth with tiny stutter not noticeable during real tv content. Not ideal though!!)

Would more logs help Klojum?

Any ideas?

• Any further input or ideas chaps?!

I'm still getting the same random lock ups and freezes that other users are reporting too. (This has been linked to TVHEADEND apparently).

Also noticed that if refresh rate switching at start/stop is enabled it often stops doing that and even selecting a different ui refresh rate results in NO change to the refresh rate..