Please keep PXE boot capabilities

• This is a request for keeping a feature that is already working. Booting LibreELEC via PXE works perfectly and is really useful in HTPC environments. In the latest release OpenELEC removed PXE and iSCSI boot (is also mentioned in the changelog: "NFS, NBD, iSCSI Network boot support removed") and i've seen many people complaining about it. I really hope LibreELEC will keep the feature. Thanks

• OK, works now. Had to do something from this thread for the shutdown hang issue:

Copy /etc/connman/main.conf to /storage/.config/connman_main.conf
    and add the network interface to NetworkInterfaceBlacklist option

Code
    NetworkInterfaceBlacklist = eth0,vmnet,vboxnet,virbr,ifb,docker,veth,ve-,vb-

Create an autostart script to add default gateway and connman resolv.conf

nano /storage/.config/autostart.sh

Code
    /sbin/route add -net 0.0.0.0 gw 192.168.90.1
    echo -e "search mydomain.org\nnameserver 192.168.90.1" > /run/connman/resolv.conf

chmod +x /storage/.config/autostart.sh

• PXE booting is niche but the code bits haven't been touched in years and require no maintenance so it's no issue to leave it in the codebase. Glad you got it working :)

Great...yes, it is nothing better than to have several diskless clients able to use a central media server. I actually am able to remove and use the SSD that came with my boxes for other purposes so a win-win. In case OE gets rid of the article and for posterity, here is a link to it. (sorry, will need to rotate it with your PDF client).

• OK, works now. Had to do something from this thread for the shutdown hang issue:

Copy /etc/connman/main.conf to /storage/.config/connman_main.conf
    and add the network interface to NetworkInterfaceBlacklist option

Code
    NetworkInterfaceBlacklist = eth0,vmnet,vboxnet,virbr,ifb,docker,veth,ve-,vb-

Create an autostart script to add default gateway and connman resolv.conf

nano /storage/.config/autostart.sh

Code
    /sbin/route add -net 0.0.0.0 gw 192.168.90.1
    echo -e "search mydomain.org\nnameserver 192.168.90.1" > /run/connman/resolv.conf

chmod +x /storage/.config/autostart.sh

I did exactly this but mine still crashes on reboot/shutdown. My logs are here (created the same was as instructed). Any ideas?

• I did exactly this but mine still crashes on reboot/shutdown. My logs are here (created the same was as instructed). Any ideas?

I'm not sure if this is related. But it could be due to some hardware storage issues? I see a lot of these in your logs:

Code
    Mar 24 09:12:25 RPi-TV systemd-udevd[270]: Failure opening block device (null): Bad address
    Mar 24 09:12:25 RPi-TV systemd-udevd[269]: seq 849 queued, 'add' 'bus'
    Mar 24 09:12:25 RPi-TV systemd-udevd[278]: IMPORT builtin 'blkid' /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/95-udevil-mount.rules:9
    Mar 24 09:12:25 RPi-TV systemd-udevd[270]: IMPORT builtin 'blkid' returned non-zero

It doesn't appear you are boot via iSCSI and still using local storage.

• Interesting. Did you do do a fresh install of Kodi with network booting? I simply copied everything from my SD card to my NAS and then made the modification to cmdline.txt.

• So, this method to use NFS instead of iscsi for netboot is much slower (about 1-2 min vs. instant).

This is my previous and new ipxe files:

Previous:

Shell session
    #!ipxe
    echo Ready for iscsi boot !
    :retry_sanboot
    sanboot iscsi:<server IP>::::<iscsi target IQN>  goto retry_sanboot

``New:

Edited once, last by 2devnull (November 26, 2023 at 8:45 PM).