Unsupported Realtek USB Wireless Dongle?

• hello, i recently upgraded my internet to RCN 330 download from 150. the card in my chromebox doesn't get me the speed i am paying for. i disabled the wifi card and removed it from the box and bought this one off amazon ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1509055637&sr=1-12&keywords=1200mbps wifi i put one in the usb port on my chromebox and it doesn't detect it. i am using one on my laptop and instead of only getting 45 download i am now getting 270. it says it works with all OS, i know LibreELEC is something special. any chance i can get this working?

Thanks

• SSH into the box and run "lsusb | paste" then share the URL generated here. Then we can tell you which unsupported chipset in the device you bought. I can see from the driver that it has a realtek chipset, but we need to see the actual USB device ID's to comment further.

I renamed the thread because it has nothing to do with the Chromebox.

• chewitt, see below. damn so your saying this won't work then. any chance you could advise me on a USB dongle that will get me the speeds as this would should?

LibreELEC:~ # lsusb

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 13d3:3393 IMC Networks

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 05b8:3279 Agiler, Inc.

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Thanks

• is there any Wifi dongles you could advise that i can get the full benefits of my new speed? crazy they don't have a driver as they claim it does have a Linux driver and support. on the disk they provide it has a Linux folder, i emailed them to let them know it doesn't work.

Thank you

• I downloaded the driver from the link on the advert/listing but can only see references to using it on Android. It might compile on Linux but we don't have that driver in our images and honestly we have low/no desire to add more sh1t quality realtek drivers that are hard to maintain.

And I don't make hardware recommendations, sorry.

• Hello LilSnoop40,

According to the screenshot in your email, I finally found it here.

I'm glad you can talk to us about our products. Thank you for your technical testing and comments on our products.

In order to allow the LibreELEC system to better support our card, I sincerely hope that we can consider chewitt NIC driver is added to the original LibreELEC image file, so that our common users have incomparable quality experience.

Our Linux-Driver is not the only Android related files, please go to the ./driver directory view. In this, I deliberately upload this driver to the annex, to facilitate chewitt download.

We also hope to cooperate with you all the time, thank you.

• justdoing Please tell Realtek to upstream their out-of-tree drivers to the mainline Linux kernel. Then we will be happy to include them in our images. We have enough of their unmaintained junk in our images already - we will not add more.

• All right, thank you.

It seems that I can only try to recompile a customized mirror for my customer.

LilSnoop40 please give me a little more time.

If I don't succeed, I will agree with you to return your 5 products. But I want you to understand the difficulties that we have as an Amazon seller. I can't get my chip provider (RTL) to standardize its drive. Because we're just one of the small suppliers of it.

But, I hope you can see our sincerity. Just because you're our user, we want to make you feel good!

• If you don't complain back to RTL they will continue to churn out more new drivers that do not follow kernel architecture or quality standards. You need to complain. Lots of other people need to complain too. Unless people actively complain nothing will change.

• All right, thank you.

It seems that I can only try to recompile a customized mirror for my customer.

LilSnoop40 please give me a little more time.

If I don't succeed, I will agree with you to return your 5 products. But I want you to understand the difficulties that we have as an Amazon seller. I can't get my chip provider (RTL) to standardize its drive. Because we're just one of the small suppliers of it.

But, I hope you can see our sincerity. Just because you're our user, we want to make you feel good!

Stop selling their bloody products then!

• since you guys are on the subject, how do you feel about Broadcom? specifically brcmfmac? i have a linux driver that works ubuntu. what can i do to make it work?

the device is an ECS LIVA-MINI mostly works with libreelec nicely, except for the broadcom driver.

is it possible to get this to work? without a lot of trouble?

THanks. and sorry

my lusb link

KFRJ

• In recent times most Broadcom stuff is mainlined and should be reliable. There is a lot of old crap still in circulation though, where there's a dogs-breakfast mix of things that require different (ID overlapping) drivers and things that are not supported on Linux for some reason. Not the worst offender (Realtek have that crown) but not blameless either.