Hyperion + WS2812B

• Hello everybody. At first i want sorry for my english, i know it's bad, but i hope you can understand me.

I have system on RPi3 + LE + WS2812B, I'm using hypercon from hyperion-project syte to install and configure it on my RPi3 and i have some issues:

1) I have interface (kodi) stuck after 10-15 minutes when hyperion installed, and then the system unwant to start, in this case help only full reinstall of LE.

2) When i push "start" button in hypercon i saw rainbow effect and each of led are lighting up, but then working only 15-20 leds of 90 total. But if i chose set led color" all leds are working.

3) I cant find any explain what mean "Amount of LEDs" when i choose WS281x driver. If i think right, i must tape this the of all leds i using?

Edited once, last by Degemon (October 5, 2017 at 4:40 PM).

• You're russian is not too bad 🙂.

I try to use addon and hypercon for le, and nothing changed. This looks like problem with grabber or something like this. Mb 12 pin of rpi3 does not have too much voltage to control leds. But if I chose all leds reds or green or blue, then all of them ligting up.

• 90 WS2812 LEDs is quite a lot to have in a single string unless you have more than one power feed into the string. Typically the problem is that the current drawn causes voltage drop along the string with the result that LEDs further along the string don't get the correct supply voltage. Peak current is up to 60mA per LED if red, green and blue are on together at full brightness. For 90 LEDs that is up to 5.4 amps, so check that your supply is strong enough as well. My suggestion is to connect the LED power supply to at least both ends of the string (you should connect both 0v and +5v supply rails). You may find it helps to have a third connection near the middle of the string as well. I've not used these LEDs for this application, but I have used longer strings when testing them with different driver schemes,

• Hello! Thx for your answer. I have 5v 10a power supply, when i use the multimeter i have diference between start and the end of strip about 0,06-0,08V (5.0 at start 4.94 at the end), i take this measure on full red strip.

It can be suuply issue if the rainbow effect still work? And one color lighting too.

• Good feedback. Your measurements indicate that the supply is probably OK. It was worth checking though. I can only guess at maybe a software or configuration issue. Sorry I cannot help more. I have no direct experience with Hyperion or Hypercon. It looks interesting though.

• Good feedback. Your measurements indicate that the supply is probably OK. It was worth checking though. I can only guess at maybe a software or configuration issue. Sorry I cannot help more. I have no direct experience with Hyperion or Hypercon. It looks interesting though.

All ideas may help, thx for your participation.

I want to try use logic level converter (from 3.3 v to 5v), mb it can change the situation.

• Yes, a logic level converter may help. The standard I/O lines on the Pi are not fully compatible with the WS2812 LEDs. The WS2811 chip in the LED package needs 3.5 volts or more for a logic 1, but the Pi can only go to 3.3 volts on the I/O lines. This means that the signal is marginal and may work for some data patterns and not others, or that it may be affected by very small changes in supply voltage.