Can't browse SMB shares on Krypton version

• hi there - I managed to add my shared network directories via SMB, however I cannot see the files in the network locations either through File Manager or through the Library directory. Am I missing something? The device I'm using is a Raspberry Pi 2 with latest LibreElec version and Kodi 17.4

Same problem. My Eminent player updated from Openelec 6.95.3.001 to Libreelec 8.1.1 (Kodi 17.4) and not seen my Windows 8 shared folders. With Openelec 6.95.3.001 worked perfectly. I changed smb to 1-2-3, but not work. Please help. thank you.

• Your 'file server' needs to be forced to use SMB v2 or higher. You can easily google on how to do that, also for Windows 8. Keeping your setup at SMB v1 is not the solution.

However, if you want to keep your devices being exposed to exploits such as WannaCry, by all means stay at SMB v1.

• hi there - I managed to add my shared network directories via SMB, however I cannot see the files in the network locations either through File Manager or through the Library directory. Am I missing something? The device I'm using is a Raspberry Pi 2 with latest LibreElec version and Kodi 17.4

You need to force smb1...its a setting in kodi system settings-services..smb1

• Doesn't anyone bother to read the blog post?

LibreELEC (Krypton) v8.1.2 BETA – LibreELEC

a36dbdd2-097f-4056-9018-5f53ca3528ec.png

a138f7b1-ff83-44d8-a70f-2650dedb7d92.png

With respect I have mate, and I was fully aware of the impact this update would have.

But the blog post only seems to be for the understanding of developers - for the novice, and possibly even the intermediate user like myself, a set of simple steps (and possibly even screenshots), or even a link to such, would have been an excellent addition to help users workaround this impact. The blog post has to be read several times to be understood clearly by the novice, and even then is still missing the steps to resolve such impacts and maintain the excellent experience LibreElec and Kodi give us.

Hope this makes sense - no hard feelings at all, just constructive feedback :)

• That's because, unfortunately, Samba has a number of "moving parts" and we can't foresee every problem scenario that users might have. We have, to the best of our ability, explained the potential issues, but it's up to users to take this information on board and then sort out their own networks - be they Windows, Linux or other Samba servers, with or without SMB1 support, with or without Windows 10 to cause even more problems, with or without anonymous access, with or without LibreELEC OS mounts etc.

If we could give a single guaranteed "do this then this" solution that fixes this Samba mess for everyone, trust me we would have. If anyone feels they can do a better job of explaining how to resolve the different potential problems users with random Samba or Windows servers may face, please add something in the Wiki! :)

• That's because, unfortunately, Samba has a number of "moving parts" and we can't foresee every problem scenario that users might have. We have, to the best of our ability, explained the potential issues, but it's up to users to take this information on board and then sort out their own networks - be they Windows, Linux or other Samba servers, with or without SMB1 support, with or without Windows 10 to cause even more problems, with or without anonymous access, with or without LibreELEC OS mounts etc.

If we could give a single guaranteed "do this then this" solution that fixes this Samba mess for everyone, trust me we would have. If anyone feels they can do a better job of explaining how to resolve the different potential problems users with random Samba or Windows servers may face, please add something in the Wiki! :)

But no one even goes about explaining how to replace your samba config file. All that is said is to replace it with the new one and there is no info at all on how to actually do this.

• But no one even goes about explaining how to replace your samba config file. All that is said is to replace it with the new one and there is no info at all on how to actually do this.

It's a file that you created - use whatever method you used when you originally created it.

• It's a file that you created - use whatever method you used when you originally created it.

I never created anything file wise. I installed libreelec using a usb drive installer, started it and went in through the file section in kodi and added samba shares. So if i go into the file section and delete the shares and restart it will fix it? This is installed on a chromebox modified so that it only has libreelec on it. there is no chrome os any more.

So far all i know to do is revert to 8.0.2 because that works.

I have 2 folders shared off of a windows 7 computer with an open samba share, no user info required. I update to 8.1+ and samba wont even see the workgroup let alone any shares.

• I never created anything file wise. I installed libreelec using a usb drive installer, started it and went in through the file section in kodi and added samba shares.

Samba shares added in Kodi have nothing to do with the "samba config file" which is for the LibreELEC Samba server and should only be modified by users that understand what it is they are modifying. You're conflating a different issue with whatever problem you have.

So if i go into the file section and delete the shares and restart it will fix it?

I've no idea what your problem is as you haven't mentioned anything useful, so I can't even hazard a guess as to whether what you suggest will work or not (it probably won't, actually).

If you've got a problem accessing your Samba shares then provide details of your Samba server (make, model, version) and what the problem is. Nobody here knows what server(s) you run in your network, or how they may be configured, or what updates have been applied by you which may or may not have disabled certain Samba-related features. I know for a fact that LibreELEC 8.1.2.will work out of the box with the vast majority of Samba servers, but there are some broken Samba servers that need to be worked around (or contact your vendor for an updated server), and there are some features (anonymous access, network browsing) that are no longer supported.

I'll repeat what is already stated in the announcement when dealing with Samba client issues:

1. Try forcing SMB1 in Kodi Settings > Services > SMB Client > Maximum protocol version. SMB1 should work with old and buggy servers, but won't work with more secure modern Samba servers that only support SMB2+ (in which case use SMB2 or SMB3, or better yet leave it as None so that the client - ie. Kodi - auto-negotiates the best protocol).

2. Anonymous access no longer works. You'll now have to configure a username/password in your server, then enter the same username/password details into Kodi when accessing the share and prompted for authentication.

3. Network browsing no longer works when SMB1 is disabled in your master browser (and is flaky at best even when it is). You'll now need to add a network location before adding your Sources.

• Im not sure if you started your replay as soon as I posted or did not read my post. Right after the post I edited in more info on the setup.

As I said a windows 7 computer sharing folders on an open samba, no username or password.

the kodi player is a chromebox with the os removed loading straight to Libreelec.

It works perfect on 8.0.2 and has through all the older versions of kodi I have run.

Now when I go to add a share and brows on kodi it does not even see the workgroup which also has a few windows 10 computers on it.

I have already changed the minimum version to smb v1 and have tried every combination.

I have tried typing in the path manually by IP and share name.

So far nothing besides reverting to 8.0.2 will make it even see the workgroup.

• Im not sure if you started your replay as soon as soon as I posted or did not read my post. Right after the post I edited in more info on the setup.

Nope, hadn't seen it.

As I said a windows 7 computer sharing folders on an open samba, no username or password.

Issue #2, "Anonymous access no longer works".

Now when I go to add a share and brows on kodi it does not even see the workgroup

Issue #3, "Network browsing no longer works".

I have already changed the minimum version to smb v1 and have tried every combination.

Resolve issue #2 (already explained, many times), and learn to live with issue #3 (already explained, many times).

Use "None" for "Maximum protocol" when Windows 7 is the Samba server

If you still have problems after resolving #2: What are you adding as the network location - a screenshot of your "Add network location" dialog please (or paste the contents of your /storage/.kodi/userdata/sources.xml). Also, the error when you try to connect to the share in your kodi debug log might be helpful.

• so after 6 hours of trying to get this to work, and trying to understand what was written in the blog regarding this problem, I've stumbled on the answer. I use Arch linux KDE on three laptops, and am running libreelec on raspberry pi. Normally, I could open my file manager (Dolphin in my case) to to "Network" and browse for the directories shared by my RPi. Unfortunately, we can no longer do that. So I thought "why not go to smb:// then complete the line with the ip address of my pi?" And,, BAM!! there were the directories, right where they should be. I can't imagine why anyone didn't just say to do that, except that to the average maniac, brainiac developer, that would be an obvious given. And as such, doesn't even bear mentioning. So, for example in my case I open my file browser (assuming you have the necessary stuff installed to interact with samba to begin with) and type:

smb://192.168.1.3

My god....it's over....it's finally over

• I just made new install latest Libre elec on Pi3+ , no SAMBA , I'm with Win 7 , tried to find some tutorial - no any success . Any help ?