Emby and Mono

• Hello Everyone,

Before I start beating my head against the wall, is there a quick and easy reason Emby would refuse or fail to stream video to any player? Using the web quick setup, it gets stuck at the FFMPEG section, not seeming to like any of the options.

Thanks for all the hard work!

• Official Post

Hello Everyone,

Before I start beating my head against the wall, is there a quick and easy reason Emby would refuse or fail to stream video to any player? Using the web quick setup, it gets stuck at the FFMPEG section, not seeming to like any of the options.

Thanks for all the hard work!

In order to help you, I need more information, eg what LibreELEC project (Generic, RPi, RPi2, etc) you are running on, and a log.

Incidentally, hardware transcoding on Rasperry Pi is not implemented, yet. It is work in progress, nevertheless.

• Hi,

I was using OpenElec and now trying out LibreElec.
    I downloaded and successfully installed LibreElec 7.02 (X86_64).
    My hardware is a NUC box.

I was especially interested in "Emby".
    I downloaded the add-on from the repository and also installed successfully.
    I also got a message that "Mono" add-on is also enabled.

However, when I "opened" the Emby add-on, both the "Run" and "Configure" buttons are disabled.
    So I do not know what I should do next. (I have tried Emby earlier on my laptop, so I have a fair idea how to configure Emby normally).

What I wanted was something like this:
    When I was running OpenElec, I used an add-on (by "hugepants") for Plex Media Server, so that both OpenElec and Plex Media Server are running on the same machine. Then, using another add-on PlexBMC, I am able to use Kodi (Jarvis) as front-end and Plex Media Server as backend. In this way, I was able to stream to my other devices such as iPhone and iPad.

I want a similar configuration with Emby and LibreElec. I want to know whether we can run both LibreElec and Emby in the same machine, similar to how I used PMS and OpenElec on the same machine as above.

If it is possible, why are the "Run" button and "Configure" button disabled?
    I tried the same on LibreElec 8.0 preview (alfa) but the status seems to be exactly the same.

Maybe I am missing something very basic? Please let me know if I need to provide any additional information.

Please help

Thanks
    Sanjay

• Hello Sanjay

The Emby addon only runs Emby on LibreELEC, it does not configure Kodi to access Emby.
    You can access/configure Emby with your browser, usually at libreelec.local:8096.
    You must configure Kodi to access Emby, which may involve an additional addon.

• Hi,

Everything is working as expected !!
    I configured Emby server (used Chromium add-on for web browser), accessed it at local address on port 8096.
    I was earlier confused because the "configure" and "run" buttons are disabled when adding the Emby server add-on. So I thought may be we need to configure within Kodi.

Then I added (official) Emby add-on for Kodi, and could get all the library contents in Kodi.
    I also was able to stream to my iPhone

Thanks to awiouy for this Emby server add-on !! Also, to im85288 and other persons at Emby for the Kodi add-on to access the server !!

Just another Noob question ... why is "Mono" add-on needed for this? It is automatically installed and enabled while installing Emby server.

Best,
    Sanjay

Edited once, last by pvsanjay (August 12, 2016 at 8:56 AM).

• Hello Sanjay,

Thank you for the positive feedback!

The official Emby addon needs an Emby server as a back end.
    The LibreELEC Emby addon runs an Emby server on LibreELEC.
    The Emby server is a .NET program that needs Mono to run on Linux.

• i intalled v7.90.005 on my Raspberry pi ... but cannot get past FFmpeg setup ... no matter what option i choose

By default, Emby donwloads its own copy of ffmpeg/ffprobe, which are not optimized for LibreELEC, and which do not support transcoding on arm (eg RPi).

Emby 8.0.104 enables h264 omx support on Raspberry Pi.
    To try this out:

• In the settings of the addon, enable 'Use dedicated ffmpeg/ffprobe (experimental)'
    • In the Emby web UI, under Manage Server/Playback/Transcoding, set Hardware Acceleration to OpenMAX OMX
    • Restart Emby or LibreELEC.

No further configuration is required.

With these settings, Emby happily transcodes H264 1080p to lower resolutions on my Raspberry Pi 3 (200-250% CPU out of 400%, without overclocking).

However, there is an issue: the transcoded stream is displayed on the screen. This bug lies with ffmpeg.

• Hello there, In order to update the Emby server to 3.0.8000.0 I need to also update mono to at least 4.4.2 I've tried a couple things but can't get it working. So i'm asking if this can be updated by the mantainer or at least give us a clue on how to do it manually. TIA.

• Hello j.c.

According to this link, building Emby requires Mono 4.2.3.4.

LibreELEC, as Debian and Ubuntu, merely provides Mono 4.2.1.

Building Mono on LibreELEC heavily relies on Debian patches.
    I am not aware of such patches for Mono 4.2.3.4 or 4.4.2.
    Building Mono 4.2.3.4 or 4.4.2 for LibreELEC is therefore unlikely at the moment.

You now have several options, from easiest to hardest:
    1. Ask the Mono devs what running Emby 3.0.8000 with Mono 4.2.1 entails, ie what would not work.
    2. Run Emby 3.0.8000 in Docker.
    3. Update the Mono package.

If you tell me your LE version and project (Generic, RPi2, etc.), I could provide you an addon for Emby 3.0.8000 for you to test (against Mono 4.2.1)

• From what i`ve read in the Emby forums some guys with debian and ubuntu servers faced the same problem due to the outdated mono version. Most of them solved with an upgrade of mono-complete and mentioned using the upstream repo from mono.

Regarding the options you metioned:
    1. Ask the Mono devs what running Emby 3.0.8000 with Mono 4.2.1 entails, ie what would not work.
    - They`re already aware of this and are about to change the requirements and ask for mono 4.4.2
    2. Run Emby 3.0.8000 in Docker.
    - If it comes to this then I will do it, but right now I want to try and solve the mono issue.
    3. Update the Mono package.
    - I see this link sends me to github, thing is, I have no idea on how to help there but I will look into it.

I`m running LE Generic 7.0.2 but I`m pretty sure if you build the addon with that version of mono it won`t work.
    BTW: I`m running your addon but updated Emby to 3.0.7300.0 (you just replace de Emby.Mono folder and restart the service, used to work fine until now)

Thanks for your help Awiouy

Edited once, last by j.c. (October 13, 2016 at 10:25 PM).

• I only update Emby on LibreELEC 8.0 (with a focus on hardware accelerated transcoding on Raspberry Pi).
    I have submitted a pull request for Emby 3.0.7300 yesterday.

I have found Debian patches for Mono 4.6.1.3, and started a build.
    I will report if it makes or breaks.

I do not intend to update Mono for LibreELEC 7.0

• Hello j.c.,

Emby 3.0.8100 has been released, which resolves crash on older mono versions.
    Please try to run that with the current version of Mono and report back.

If that does not work, I have managed to build Mono 4.6.1.3 for LibreELEC 8.0.
    I could provide you addons for Mono 4.6.1.3 and Emby 3.0.8100 for LibreELEC 8.0, if you want to test them.
    [hr]
    Emby 3.0.8100 runs with the current version of Mono ;)