Posts by escalade

mtk1

Do you mind testing the latest? I think I've got it right this time. Pulseaudio behaves differently with regards to it's runtime dir when in system mode like in LE, and the upstream package hasn't gotten much attention since the OpenELEC days.

Execute rm -rf /storage/.config/pulse* before rebooting. I've tested thoroughly Kodi/ES/RA and pacmd/pactl, everything seems to be in order. As a bonus I've set KODI_AE_SINK=ALSA+PULSE which gives you the ability to connect bluetooth speakers through PA, and added the zeroconf-discover module which automatically detects other PA installations on your network. They will show up in Kodi automagically :)

I've tested passthrough in PA and it seems to work great actually. If you want to try full PA setup, add KODI_AE_SINK=PULSE to /storage/.config/kodi.conf and run pactl set-sink-formats $(pactl list sinks short | grep -v NON-DEFAULT | awk '{print $1}') "pcm; ac3-iec61937; dts-iec61937; eac3-iec61937". This will give you DTS/AC3/EAC3 passtrough with PA ;)

Fixed generic image uploaded, give it a whirl :)

Pulseaudio was never the issue, it's just that Kodi has changed the way it deals and I have been doing a lot of under the hood polish on PA itself that had been poorly tested.

In any case, it should now be dealt with. KODI_AE_SINK is set to ALSA by default and kodi.sh will take care of suspending/unsuspending the default sink when starting and stopping Kodi. I've also had the time to dig deeper into the PA documentation and have some further improvements in store.

Some of the changes in the latest image:

• updated alsa-lib and alsa-utils to latest git
    • compiled in bluez5 headset support in PA
    • load some more PA modules by default (allow-passthrough, zeroconf-publish, switch-on-port-available)
    • updates sway/wlroots to latest git
    • updated RA and some cores
    • f2fs is now created with encryption/compression extensions and kernel options has been added for both

It's not required per se, but on some platforms I had to use Pulseaudio in order to get sound working in Emulationstation's video previews, also there used to be an issue back when youtube used flash plugin to output sound as the browser itself had locked the device and the plugin tried to acquire it. There will always be corner cases where you need to mix two streams together, and there's just no reason not to use Pulseaudio. ALSA has dmix as well available as /storage/.config/asound.conf.dmix , but according to my testing Pulseaudio's resampler is superior both quality and performance wise.

Here's my other reasons for using it:

- Automatic detection of the active output (mine is hw:0,3)

- A2DP audio streaming

- All apps including containers can simply point to it and have sound on the correct output

Technically, it supports passthrough of HD audio as of 13.0 but Kodi being 5 years behind on technology as usual (no HDR yet lol) it's not supported yet at least not in Leia AFAIK.

My launcher scripts lets you force ALSA if you wish, just prefix the commands with ALSA=1 in es_systems.cfg and you should be good to go (that'll use pasuspender to launch RA too though, so Pulseaudio will still be running after exit due to the current issue). The reason for you not having sound when you stop Pulseaudio is probably because the correct output is not set in asound.conf. ALSA needs to be configured for the right output, I try to detect this (by using Pulseaudio) with alsa-config.sh and output it to /storage/.config/asound.conf.hw which is symlinked to asound.conf. Have a look at it, it's not fail proof.

I used to have ALSA as a default, but then I was flooded with "no sound" reports due to improperly set up asound.conf (before I created alsa-config.sh). Either way you look at it, it's hard to have sound working automagically on all platforms and across all applications. I choose Pulseaudio because I feel it's the right way forward and when it does work it works beautifully.

Back to the issue at hand, it seems like pasuspender doesn't unsuspend the sink. This was working, I suspect an issue with glibc 2.31. I see that pactl list ends in a segmentation fault as well. A quick fix is to add a custom kodi.service with this line added:

ExecStopPost=/usr/bin/pactl suspend-sink @DEFAULT_SINK@ 0

I can reproduce, so I will get this fixed. I know my quality control is poor at times due to lack of time. I don't keep an archive of images either as my gdrive gets filled up. I'll try to get it solved after work + build time for all platforms ;)

These cores are currently included for Generic:

Sega CD is supported by the genesis core I believe.

mtk1

I will be offline a couple of days can't look closely now but it's very unexpected behaviour. Kodi in my image runs with ALSA through the

KODI_AE_SINK=ALSA variable which is set in the systemd unit file (confirm it by excecuting systemctl cat kodi). The binary kodi.bin is started through pasuspender which suspends Pulseaudio until the process exits. You shouldn't be getting any sound from setting Pulseaudio in system settings, and there should be no need to stop Pulseaudio as it's already suspended. I'll have a look at your logs later though, thanks for the feedback.

jaykass

I think changing cpu governor to performance is worth a try, look at /etc/profile.d/99-oem.conf and find the commands there I’m not in front of my laptop atm. Good to hear browser is working the latest rpi2 build runs it in wayland no xwayland.

mtk1

Thats weird can you try a clean install? Kodi is set up to use alsa in this image, pulseaudio is disabled while kodi runs. You should be able to select the correct output and get sound. Anything else should use pulseaudio which detects the active output by default. If that should fail you can use pactl.

jaykass

I think changing cpu governor to performance is worth a try, look at /etc/profile.d/99-oem.conf and find the commands there I’m not in front of my laptop atm. Good to hear browser is working the latest rpi2 build runs it in wayland no xwayland.

mtk1

Thats weird can you try a clean install? Kodi is set up to use alsa in this image, pulseaudio is disabled while kodi runs. You should be able to select the correct output and get sound. Anything else should use pulseaudio which detects the active output by default. If that should fail you can use pactl.

New Generic/RPi4 image out:

• updated transmission to latest git and linked against system ca certificates, extended sysctl values for maximum performance
    • more font polish, if anyone has issues with fonts run fontconfig-setup.sh in a terminal
    • added wireguard from upstream LE, updated modules to v0.0.20200205
    • libretro core updates
    • unified firefox.sh into a common script for arm/x86_64 (arm will use Xwayland by default), now runs native for all images (x86_64 uses official binaries, arm uses ubuntu 19.10.1 binaries)
    • adjusted plymouth boot splash to exit on common update failures to see what's going on

mtk1

Too bad, unfortunately in my experience the low-end Intel GPU's like those in your Braswell tend to have less focus by the dev team. Hard to say where the bug is though, could be in the kernel driver, Mesa, Firefox or in Sway/wlroots. Could even be caused by LTO for all I know, but it seems to work fine both on my NUC8 and my older Haswell NUC. Can you reproduce at all, or is it very random?

rfrayer

I don't have the OGST case myself, and I consider it quite the useless gimmick. AFAIK all you need is ffmpeg and the TFT kernel driver though, which is included in this build. If a kernel or ffmpeg config option is missing I could include it. You can add your own launch scripts through /storage/.config/emu_start.sh and emu_stop.sh.