Posts by Shoog

I find LE Krypton to be reasonably unstable on my M8S S812 box, it tend to lock up easily if over stressed, which can be triggered by something as simple as navigating to fast. I don't see it been up to the task.

Shoog

LE no longer releases anything for AMLogic chips officially. None of the Leia releases presented here are officially supported on the AML platform by LE. This is because of their policy with regard to only supporting hardware with Linux mainline support. There is nothing specific regarding Hardkernel hardware. This also applies to Rockchip hardware for exactly the same reason.

Shoog

Consider. N2 80 (empty Board) + 4 (case) + 30 (32GB emmc and recording adapter) + 8 (WiFi) + 6 (power supply) + 4 (remote control) + 40 shipping. A total of more than 170. Soon there will be TV boxes on s922 and I have no doubt that their price is clearly not going to be so prohibitive. Or I can already take for this amount RK3399 with much more features (PCIe , support for video cameras, WoL, etc.), which will never be in N2. The funny thing is that rk3399 in real work, only 10-20% slower at maximum load. And given that in this topic, discussed LE (KODI), which is the most meager load, nor any benefits from a little more performance there. Much cheaper S905X2 easily replaces S922. Additional features of VPU\GPU-are now a minus, not a plus, because they have support only in closed legacy drivers from the kernel 3.14 (which are stuck in the kernel 4.9). And I don't see a lot of content that needs innovation from the G52. Regarding performance-I recommend to carefully study all the "tests" that were performed with N2 and if you are careful, you will see a lot of falsehood in them. Especially funny looks, the choice of the competitor with which to compare N2 - N1 does not exist. By the way, this is another reason why I would not rush to buy N2 - new owners of HK at any time can give an order to close this project (there is a sad experience with N1). It's funny to see the dilettantes talk about the cooling system. Under load, the chip temperature rises more than 70 degrees, this means that the radiator (which is idiotically located at the bottom and under the entire area of the motherboard) starts to work as a heater for the entire area of the motherboard. In which there are many metal conductors through which the entire structure and other components (memory, etc.) is actively heated. I.e., to heat themselves, it adds a good porchia heat from the processor. This clearly reduces their resource and overall performance. Probably this, N2 at the maximum load, shows acceleration at 10-20 % . Another problem, the heat that the components emit + additional heat from the lower radiator is "locked" in a plastic case, creating a greenhouse effect. Personally I have no desire to throw 170-180 and then spend time reworking mistakes constructors (remove the radiator and cover it from the motherboard insulating spacers and to invent how to add fan in this stupid design

I'm not interested in dealing with children.

You lost credibility when you said that plenty of cheaper TV boxes running S922x were just around the corner. The record of cheap TV boxes providing the sort of cooling offered by the N2 is about zero. At that point I stopped reading your ramblings. Cheap TV boxes will have zero cooling, zero software support and no high spec DAC. Your observations regarding the effectiveness of the cooler fly in the face of the actual real world experience of the many developers who are using pre-release samples who are reporting die temps of 40C when doing software decoding of netflix at 1080p quality.
    Go bark up another tree before a rottweiler comes and bites your head off.

Shoog

hm... ya that maybe true all of that is a moot point because until a Real working graphix stack emerges nothing will change no matter how much crap Amlogic floods the market with. so far after all these years of promises nothing ever materializes. so only time will tell. theres no point in producing a race car if theres not gas for it.

But to be fair the emergence of the Panfrost development is a good sign but still some ways off...

I have been horribly disappointed in AML in the past, but reading Odroids press release for the N2 it seems that times have changed with a 4.9 kernel and a wayland driver almost ready to roll:

"

Linux

An Ubuntu 18.04 LTS image is available with Kernel version 4.9.152 LTS at this moment. This kernel version will be officially supported until Jan, 2023.

A hardware accelerated video decoder (VPU) driver is ready. We have c2player and kplayer examples which can play 4K/UHD H.265 60fps videos smoothly on the framebuffer of ODROID-N2 HDMI output.

The Mali G52 GPU Linux driver works only on the framebuffer. We tested the latest PPSSPP emulation and it can handle x3 scaling on a 4K display nicely with well implemented VSYNC.

There will be a Linux Wayland driver a few months later. We are intensively working on it together with Arm and Amlogic.

Unfortunately, there is no X11 GPU driver since Arm has no plan to support X11 for Bifrost GPUs anymore.

We hope that the Panfrost open source driver can be ported to ODROID-N2 soon."

That puts it in about the same place as the rockchip with regard to Linux.

Shoog

Rockpro64 finally arrived about a week ago and I am luving this board. So far i have managed to piece together a linux build and am playing with the 5.1 and 4.21 kernels and have been poking around with the panfrost stuff as well and fixed a couple of issues reducing some of the lockups and leaks while testing on my own kodi 18.1 build. still more to fix on this project while splitting my time on another unrelated project. I want to use kernel 5 for my other project so i will probably stay at this level while i keep working forward, I have now abandoned all S912 projects and started moving all other boxes over to H96 Max's running on 4.21. Still have a few issues with them but the rk3399 rocks and blows any of the Amlogic SoC's out of the water. The Panfrost stuff is actually pretty good but still requires a fair bit of kernel work yet, but is a huge step in the right direction.

It did until the arrival of the S922 which will be presented in the upcoming odroid N2. This will match or better the rockchip rk3399 and will cost less. Since this is likely to have CE support on release day it likely to grab most of the potential rockchip market from day one.

Shoog

I have the concern that all this effort is in vain since the release schedule for AML GPU means that already the S905/S912 GPU's are old hat before an open source driver is available - and we already have a none supported GPU on the S905X2 and a release schedule which always stays well ahead of open source development.

Supporting these chips with Open Source drivers is simply unsustainable.

Shoog

Hi

Just updated to 9 and when I try to install any of the skins I get the following error

The dependency on xbmc.gui version 5.12.0 could not be datisfied

Any ideas how to fx that ?

This is because the GUI version in Kodi was bumped to 5.13.0, but there was no real justification for doing so other than to start a new series for Kodi Leia final. You can get this working on most skins by finding the addon.xml for the skin and looking for the required GUI version and changing it to 5.13.0. You will need a Zipper program which allows you to modify files within the zip (Linux allows this), other wise you wil need to unzip the skin > modify the addon.xml > zip it back up again.

Shoog

But how better is coreelec though comrpead to libre?

Really the only way to find out is to give it a spin on an SD card and make your own mind up. Its been my daily driver for a year at this stage and even though there have been a few hiccups along the way it works very well for most of the time. Its still in active development and I run Nightlies so occasionally things break - but I would honestly say that the latest release candidate 8.95.7 is ready for prime time and is only waiting for the final Kodi release before it is wrapped up and put to bed.
    Libreelec has some specific missing functionality which means I can't use it so cannot comment on the state of the latest releases for AMLogic.

Shoog

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the S912 is at end of life, but what can be said is that it has had very little uptake and that is likely to remain so into the future. That means support will always be behind the curve of the various S905 offerings. Having said that I can think of no area where the S912 offers better performance or more features than the S905D so why take the chance that all things will be peachy into the future.

Personally next time I need a new box it will be an Intel box such as the Vorke V5. Why - better support and better performance. Its been a long and tedious drag getting a usable version of Kodi on my VIM2 S912 box (a full year to be exact) and frankly life is just to short for the small saving offered by a CRAPPY AMLogic box. What really rankles is the utter contempt they show for their customer base.

Shoog

I have a VIM2 and I would say the extra cost is not worth it. You don't get a usable case, you get a chip which runs hot without heatsinking (which is a diy effort or a choice of their own product which is a noisy squirrel cage design). It only has two USB2 ports. The S912 chip brings little to the table that isn't available from a good S905D box and isn't even supported in standard LE builds. The NAND storage is not very useful when you consider that "InstalltoInternal" is no longer supported in LE. The only thing going for it is rather mediocre Linux support - which you don't need anyway. A bit of a dead end considering they have moved onto a completely different chipset for their latest offering. A bit of a disappointment all round - though it does the job well when running CE builds.

Shoog