Posts by JohnBoyz

i have an issue with the narration ie voice speaking over live tv, to turn it off i go into audio and subtitle settings then i choose audio stream and change it to .....in my case English MP2 stereo and all is well no voice over, once i have done this i scroll down to set default for all channels and all should be ok, except it does not set for all channels, i have to do this every time for separate channels, even when i do change them and i switch the box off or reboot, i have to go through the same thing all over again, anyone having the same experience and is there a fix i've missed.

Yes I have this on one install and no I have no idea how to fix it.

So all I can say is that you are not alone ;)

Ok you make it seem not too difficult. But how do I cope with LibreELEC installation files?
    Can you will/give me a full description? Including grub etc. Starting with a new usb stick?

I am not stupid with these things but I must know what to do.

Create a USB stick with two partitions.
    Make it bootable with grub Legacy. (Install Grub Legacy to the stick MBR)

Add the following stanza to /boot/grub/menu.lst file

title LibreELEC
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /KERNEL boot=UUID=<UUID of root partition> disk=UUID=<UUID of storage partition> quiet

Copy both KERNEL and SYSTEM files from an image to the root partition.

That should be all that is needed ...... I have been using this for years, since first using Openelec.

Hi, it's sure that i don't have that codec as i never bought it but, if the reason is that one, it's normal that the HD channels instead are working pretty good without it?
    [hr]
    I asnwer by myself... reading around i learned that to play SD video i need the MPEG2 codec enabled and checking it via SSH i found that both VC1 and MPEG2 are disabled in my libreelec.. i think i should buy both the licenses...

I bought only the MPEG2 codec myself ...... never had a need for VC1.

Possibly missing the codec .......

MPEG-2 license key - Raspberry Pi Store

just create a blank rule

Code
    touch /storage/.config/udev.rules.d/95-udevil-mount.rules

Thank you.

Very simple in the end ..... I'm not sure if the existing /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/95-udevil-mount.rules is activated and mounts what it finds first and then they get unmounted because of this rule ....
    ... or if the default mount rule is ignored because of the presence of the file in /storage/.config/udev.rules.d/

Can that point be clarified?   It was previously, my apologies

no if the file has the same name it will override the original

Thanks again ;)

I found the cause of my video pixelation ......... the HDMI cable, which strangely is good when used with other devices, but not with this Pi.

Changing cable cured the video problem. Audio sync is still a problem on a small number of HD channels.

Well, there are several small things. Most that I could live without, but would be nice to have. But the most important thing that doesn't work for me is skip/rew/ff in a LiveTV recording. If I have paused and would like to skip past some commercials I would have to select to record the LiveTV, quit LiveTV and start watching the in progress recording, then I could skip/ff/rew without problem. But then comes the next problem that Kodi doesn't understand that the in progress recording is growing. So it is very hard to know where you are and how far to skip.

But even in recordings not everything is good. Skipping works fine, but when you use REW at speeds higher than x4 you almost don't get any visual update on where you are in the recording. You have to press play and watch if you are at the right position or if you should rewind more. Not entirely that bad with FF, but some problems with speed above x8.

For now that is the big thing that severely cripples LiveTV for me. And since I use LiveTV a lot I'm thinking about getting back to MythTV frontend that doesn't have these problems. But would like to have both on my Pi3, since MythTV frontend can't even be compared to Kodi when it comes to movies and everything else.

Thanks ;)

I think there might be some improvements in the latest version of Kodi that will impact on your experience.

I am not sure which is why I say 'think' ;)

7.90.008 8.0 updated on R-Pi2 yesterday (from OE)

Almost all video resolutions have pixelation or do not display at all.

The only resolution that I can use is 1280 (x 768 gives best result it seems)

In addition the BBC HD channels have 'out of sync' sound.

Is it possible that a plugin could be developed to allow streaming of Silverlight-requiring streams?

Reason for question:
    Setanta sports was taken over and is now known as eirSports in Ireland. It provides 6 sports channels via Astra satellite.
    To receive the Sat signals one requires a Sky card, in a Sky+HD box (for HD channels).
    Not a lot of use to those without a Sky box. Recording in such a box is not possible without paying Sky a subscription.

As an alternative, eirSports stream the 6 channels to those with an eir account.
    Unfortunately their streams require Silverlight, which limits the OS to Windows and MAC, and also are limited to browsers which can handle HDCP/DRM.
    Google Chrome does not work with the service apparently.

So, I wonder if it is possible for anyone to create a plugin, that accepts the eir credentials, and provides access to the streams, and then can display those channels through Kodi.

It seems a big ask ..... but thought I would try to find out if it is even possible.

eir do provide a couple of apps - one for Android - which possibly checks the hardware suitability before permitting channel display.
    I failed to get this working (get DRM licence error) in RemixOS in a VirtualBox VM.
    Maybe it could be used, I have no idea. :(

So, after that long post, would it be possible (even if not likely)?

I wonder how this will work out when the CJEU considers streaming (not storing) to be legal regardless the copyright status of the streamed content ...

Legal UK TV in Spain - Is Android/Kodi/XBMC/Brit TV Boxes legal in Spain?
    The Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) has confirmed that watching pirated video streams online does not break any copyright laws. The CJEU confirmed that the existing EU copyright provide exemptions for temporary copies for viewing and streaming online. Viewing or streaming, the court says, is different to making a copy and would be exempt from copyright laws, but the copies "must be temporary, that they must be transient or incidental in nature and that they must constitute an integral and essential part of a technological process." It's worth noting that this ruling does not exempt operators of these streaming services from legal responsibility, only the viewers and users of these services.

Legal UK TV in Spain - UK TV Spain - Sky TV Spain - Freesat Spain - IPTV Spain - British TV Spain - English TV Spain - The Sat and PC Guy

Essentially LE (& OE) runs as a 'Live' OS, with the changes you make stored separately to the live OS files, so that when you reboot it loads those changes again.
    This is very common with Live Linux set ups using 'Persistence'.

It is not difficult to create a LiveUSB with LE (or OE) as a boot option.
    It can easily be done with other OSs too ...... for instance I have a LiveUSB with LE and PCLinuxOS and can select whichever I wish to boot.

The requirement is that you have a boot manager on the USB stick, such as Grub Legacy or 2 or some other boot manager.

Nope. What's wrong with having them mounted?

I have the OS on a USB stick which is nicely portable.
    It is bootable on most hardware.

That hardware is not necessarily mine ..... and even if it was ....... I do not want unintended mounting of partitions in that hardware, but rather only mount a partition if a need arises.

The only thing you could really do is create systemd automount services, but this isn't really a good solution.

I couldn't do it in any case, as I know nothing of systemd :D

I will keep looking for alternatives, thanks ;)

Code
    cp /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/95-udevil-mount.rules /storage/.config/udev.rules.d/

you'll probably want something like

Code
    SUBSYSTEM=="block", GOTO="exit"

I probably placed the above line in an incorrect position in the file, but the result was that I had no partitions auto mounted on boot up, but also I could not find a means to locate and mount any partition I might need, except on the network of course. I successfully mounted a network partition.

All I want to achieve is not to have the partitions mounted, but to have their presence recognised and have them made available for mounting through the filemanager.

Is it achievable?