Posts by stuckinthehouse

I have a router that connects to my cable modem and I've got dual bands for WiFi. I have a computer that I am unable to install a wifi dongle so I need to use the ethernet port. I was using one of those through the wiring routers that had two boxes that connected the router and the other ethernet computer through the home wiring. It is slow. I just need the other computer to have internet access and not access to other PCs on the network. What type of router do I need and what mode: WISP, Wireless Bridge, repeater, something else? Cheaper the better.

I am running Rpi 3+ running one of the nightly builds from when they were created for Kodi 19.1. I changed VPN providers to OctaneVPN but I cannot get this to work on LibrELEC from either the command line or using the VPN Manager app. I have another Ubuntu system and I can run openvpn without issue. Octane has some weird ports like 8888, 8080, and 449 but I can't get any of them to work. From looking at the internet it looks like someone else had the same issue and it is a kernel issue but I'm not sure.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this or am I SOL?

I have a desktop PC that doesn't get much use but I do use it occasionally. It's running Kubuntu. I would like to replace it with a RPI4 that I haven't bought yet. I'd like to have dual screens. Can a RPI4 handle a full blown desktop environment? I have a RPI3 running libreelec and before I was running Raspbian and Chrome was pretty much unusable.

Do you have a spare MicroSD? You could write one of the LE 10 test builds to it and see if you are still seeing the same dropout issues. If it doesn't work then you have your original microSD to pop back in. This is what I did and kept my Raspbian OS with Kodi 18.9 just in case something went south I would still have a system.

Are you using the Rpi's bluetooth. I'd probably try disabling the onboard and see if that fixes the Wifi. The 3+ that I have would have issues with both WiFi and BT but this was a known issue. You can edit the /boot/config.txt file and add a line that is dtoverlay=disable-bt

You'll have to do a search on how to edit the config file since libreelec is a bit different as you have to mount it as read/write file system and then edit the config.txt file and then mount as read only then reboot.

I disabled mine and bought a BT dongle.

I have a Pi 3+ and I was running Raspbian for a few years. I wanted to get Kodi 19.1 so I bought a new microSD and dl one of the test builds and used rpi-imager to load it on the microSD. It ran well right out of the box. I use Kodi as front end for mythtv with myth running on Lubuntu. I put my old microSD in the reader and I plan on moving the files over with SFTP or Samba.

I turned on Samba and SSH with the startup Wizard. I am able to SSH from Lubuntu and I can use command line SFTP but I cannot get filezilla to work. It just says it cannot connect and it never reaches the state of checking the host key. I installed WinSCP and this works for SFTP on Windows but Windows doesn't read my old microSD properly. My Lubuntu has a second hard drive with Ubuntu so I can do a switch at BIOS. Filezilla worked on Ubuntu but I don't want to have to reboot each time I want to use Filezilla. On the Lubuntu with Filezilla, I tried an outside the network sftp system and it works. Strange why it doesn't work on my local network while sftp does.

On the Lubuntu box, I try to access the Samba shares on LibreElec but it says it could not find a mount point. I ran smbtree and it shows just //LibreELEC and nothing below it. I have used Samba in the past (not with Kodi) and you would just enter the location say smb:\\192.168..0.22\storage\videos but this doesn't work. Do I have to create a mount point somewhere? There was some instructions on the Wiki but they are missing. I am not trying to do nsf. I just need a place to drop the files since I can't get sftp to work. I guess I could do command line if needed.