Posts by mmpp

Nitpick: These are not "burned in" subtitles, but "forced" ones - they are a separate stream, and get shown by default. "Burned in" is used when they are rendered and made part of the video stream during re-encoding.

I mentioned the same problem with a different sample here: thread-7559.html

I noticed that custom fonts / unicode characters make the frame drop more apparent. Then again, some super-heavy subtitles with effects and whatnot get rendered just fine. It is a different format (substation alpha, or "ssa") so the reason for the problem here and in my sample might lie in something that is specific to blu-ray subtitles (pgs format, I think)

OK, so here's the comparison. On the left Jarvis "j" build and on the right the new "k" build with nougat kernel.
    Screenshots have bad aspect ratio but that's the way they are saved by Kodi screenshot command.
    Apparently some of us, including myself, see things that aren't there :)
    These screenshots look to me exacatly the same. I really can't see any difference.
    So, the real advantage of the new kernel are fixes like no darker screen at boot, fixed brightness / contrast options etc.

the kodi screenshot function simply copies the contents of the video buffer into a file. As there has been no change on the kodi side, it is to be expected for them to be identical across versions

The kernel part is responsible for how that information is transmitted over the HDMI link, and there is most definitely some significant change - in my setup for the better.

Thanks for your input but I realize I was not clear enough. I set kodi system => display settings to 2160p60 when the TV is on but when I turn off the box and back on again it is set to 1080p60i. I was just wondering if the display could be set to 4K when switching the box on.

As I wrote, there is no need to do that. Kodi will always switch to the correct resolution when playing 4k media and your TV will have a better upscaler for the 1080 -> 4k upscale.

What are the "right" and "wrong" resolutions? I set my boxes to fixed 1080p60, and that is all I need. Refresh rates get switched depending on the media I play, SD and 720p videos get upscaled. Kodi will switch to 4k resolution when playing 4k media on a 4k tv.

• Picture quality in 4k is worse than 1080p, this is easy to spot when switching the UI to 4k and looking at the clock in the top right corner; 1080p has crisp numbers, 4k has smudged numbers. This happens on both s905 (AVR says it's doing 4k50/yuv420) and s905x (AVR says it's doing 4k50/yuv444). The suggested solution of switching to RGB mode using sysfs doesn't seem to work, same smudgy clock. In fullscreen video this smudging affects things like the BBC logo.

The last time I connected my boxes to a 4k monitor, kodi would run in 1080p for any content <=1080p and would only switch to 4k content >1080p, leaving any scaling from 1080p to the 4k display to the display. To my knowledge, it is not recommended to use kodi to scale SD, HD or FHD content to 4k.

• Screenshots made in 4k mode are corrupted and show a different buffer e.g. end credits of the previous 1080p video.

No idea about that. Most likely a result of kodi on amlogic using the video path of the cpu and using the framebuffer only for the gui.

• H265/HDR gives horrible banding on s905x. The TV does show the 'HDR' popup.

Kodi Krypton, for whatever reason maps 10bit content to a 8bit output, while Kodi Jarvis keeps it 10bit.

• VP9.2/HDR doesn't make the TV show the 'HDR' popup. Only tested with one sample by pointing youtube-dl to a hdr clip.

No idea again.

I'm also curious about workarounds, I wouldn't mind having a knob to disable HDR in kodi or a knob to disable switching to 4k. If people want to test I can provide a 1 minutes/100MiB clip of h265/hdr footage, contact me via PM for that.

At the time of writing, these bugs show up with 8.0.1h.

Yesterday picked up Sunvell T95x from a post office.
    The only problem I got is non-working WiFi.
    It is 2GB/8GB s905x box. Have tried installing without generic dtb.img, with gxl_p212_2g.dtb, and with T95X_dtb.img from [S905] Device trees and still no WiFi.

Please identify your wlan chip by either opening the box and reading the label or by installing a terminal software in android and telling us the results from "lsmod" (maybe you need to use "su" first, if the command shows an error.

Also, after booting libreelec please connect using ssh and type the commands

Code
    udevadm info /sys/bus/sdio/devices/sdio*

and

Code
    mkdir -p /tmp/system
    mount /dev/system /tmp/system
    find /tmp/system -name *.ko

And I really have some issues on my posted sample videos. It's started from 8.0.1e version. On versions "c and "d" all videos play smoothly and correctly.
    1. Test file "Peter Gabriel" - here pls ignore small "blackout" on first 6 seconds - it's maybe cutting problem. But after this, video play little jerky. Not to much, but it's visible-
    2. "Samsung Italy" 4k video: Again, it's playable, but jerky. It's very visible.
    3. Hi bitrate "Jelly fish": This video is, in fact, unplayable. Video sometime stops for a moment and Dolby THD doesn't play.
    The same configuration with version "d" has no problem and all test files plays smoothly and correctly.

I absolutely do believe you that you see those problems. But if all three files and DolbyTHD work for me and not for you, there must be some variable in our setups that is responsible. It could be something inconspicuous, like default resolution and refresh rate. I am a little busy today, but I can take pictures of my playback and system settings later in the evening, so we could compare them.

As you are using NFS and I am using SMB, did you check if the files play fine from a USB stick?

Now this is weird: This file can be played fine by my two S905 boxes, but the S905X will not play it at all... It is the first file I found where this happens. I need to check further.
    [hr]
    Went back to LE 8.0.0e, same issue. Even weirder: When I activate debug logging, le hangs completely when I try to play the video. Broken log remains: PAxQhtsx

The issue stays the same if I use the full file or the short segment I uploaded.

I watch a lot of media with subtitles, and there appears to be a short spike in cpu/gpu usage when subtitles are rendered in kodi krypton, resulting in single or multiple frame drops. I finally found a file where this frame drop is easily visible, especially with the default mixed chinese/english subtitle track:

File-Upload.net - SubtitlesFrameDropTest.mkv

It is very pronounced with 8.0.1f, but the effect has been visible with the older krypton versions as well. On LE Jarvis, it is fine (just tested it again).

[Edit: S905X shows same behaviour, but for whatever reason cannot play this test file. I will try to find another easily visible example. Until then removed the S905X tag]

I think I mentioned this once and other users with different boxes said it worked on theirs, but on my Mini M8S II S905X device DTSHD High Resolution Audio still isn't passed through properly to my AVR. I only get the DTS core. It doesn't matter what build I use. My AVR is capable of DTSHD HRA because I get it with my WD TV Live Streaming Media Player. Master Audio is passed through properly and so is Dolby TrueHD.

DTS-HRA playback with kodi in conjunction with some avrs is problematic, this is not amlogic specific. See this thread: DTS-High Resolution. What's the score?

At least with my denon avr, I needed to downgrade the firmware for DTS-HD HRA to be recognized better, but I still only get 5.1 channels, even if it is 7.1.
    [hr]

Dolby THD passthrough works fine here with my avr setup.

All files worked fine on my wetek hub (S905 with GBit network) over SMB.

Tested also S905 with 100MBit network, played Samsung and Gabriel video without problems.
    S905X with 100 MBit only played the Gabriel video, the samsung video playback was interrupted by buffering.
    [hr]
    One more idea for Whitesak: Did you make any adjustments in advancedconfig.xml? If so, please remove the file temporarily and check again. I use regular settings only.