Posts by @fterlife

Could you connect through ssh? What commands did you try running and how did they fail?

Sorry I don't remember. It's been months already. I know it's not helpful at all. But have you or any other developers already tried to reproduce this problem by connecting a Pi4b 2GB model to a LG TV? Because that does seem to be a pattern in this topic. It doesn't matter if it's a new installation or an upgrade. The screen stays black either way.

I had the same problem with a LG 50" plasma tv and a Pi 4 2GB, solved it by connecting it to a Sony 40" LED, i had no problems att all using same install and same cables, so its tv related probably.

We have several Pi4b's with 2GB in the house and only LG tv's. I really hope the devs get this sorted out because I haven't been able to use any builds since 10.0 as they all produce black screens. I tried many things but I can't get any debug info for some reason even via SSH.

I'll try pastekodi again.

I also get a black screen on a clean flash of 10.0.1 and 10.0.2 (normal builds). Same never happened with 10.0.0 and before. But thanks I'll do a search.

*edit*

This looks like the same issue:

Cris_
    November 3, 2021 at 10:33 PM

Unfortunately no real fixes came out of it (yet..).

Not really sure what else to do. It's just too bad really I can't use the newer builds anymore. The problem occurs on both Pi4's here. Both are connected to LG 4k tv's.

I tried the latest nightly build on my Pi4 but still getting a black screen on the HDMI output. I then tried pastekodi via SSH but I get an error message saying "unterminated quoted string at or near" followed by a very long string of numbers. So again I can't share any debug info here.

Haven't there been others with the same issue in the mean time? The Pi4 has 2 GB RAM. Might that be an issue somehow?

I'm reverting to 10.0.0 again because that is the last build that's running fine.

I've been having issues with LE on my Pi4 since 10.0.1 came out. The TV screen remains blank while SSH and SMB both work fine. Luckily I've been able to downgrade every time by placing the 10.0.0 image file in the update folder and then reboot using the Kore app on my phone. Because version 10.0.2 has a couple big improvements I decided to try a clean flash but the problem remains. I'm not too keen on fiddling with txt files so I'll just patiently wait until these issues are resolved.

I tried upgrading a Pi 4 to 10.0.1 several times. To be sure I removed the EDID override with the getedit command before the upgrade. Version 10.0.1 keeps outputting a black screen right after the 'rainbow' boot screen. After I put the 10.0.0 image file in the update folder and reboot/install again the image returns. With 10.0.1 the TV does receive a signal but the screen stays black. I only use the main HDMI port.

I read in another thread that the old Pi 3 adapter doesn't meet Pi 4 specs. Today I received a new Pi 4 adapter but it doesn't make any difference at least for this issue.

For any issues, create a new thread in the appropriate forum section, and place log files onto pastebin or Kodi's pastebin website. Then paste the link thereof into your new thread.

Sorry can't do that. Log files contain my webdav passwords in plain text. I already had to remove links to a pastebin upload in another thread. And since you guys don't accept manually attached logs here I am pretty much stuck in the bug report process.

Very understandable. I tried pastekodi but the command doesn't give me a URL and Kodi produces an error message. I will try again later today.

*edit*

The gui option with error logs included works and I got this URL:

http://ix.io/3zpK (please don't open and read below)

Never mind the part below. The link is not HTTPS and the web server doesn't have an SSL certificate. I changed the url accordingly.

I can't open it in the browser though. Firefox produces this error:

Secure Connection FailedAn error occurred during a connection to ix.io. SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG

Hope you can open it though.

For some reason the uploaded log file doesn't contain any of the subtitle download attempts to webdav. I'll try again.

I've uploaded the log to pastebin. Hope that's an acceptable alternative for now.

Code
    https://pastebin.com/6LZ5zT5T

And now pastebin removed it. Sorry this is becoming a mess. Please refer to my original post. I don't know what else to do.

Problem: subtitles fail to download to a webdav folder and consequently don't display during playback

I checked the temp folder but it also doesn't contain any downloaded SRT files.

I've been using online storage for my media for a couple years and I've added several folders on it as video sources via webdav. In Kodi this is indistinguishable from having media sources on a local NAS or USB drive. Since LE 10 (beta and now also the public 10.0.0 release) however subtitle add-ons such as the one for opensubtitles.org stopped working with webdav.

Subtitles download just fine to local sources (USB drives as well as samba shares). And when I manually save subtitles to the webdav folder they also work fine during playback. It's as if the add-on itself has lost all write permissions for webdav folders. And just to be clear: this issue didn't exist with LE 9.x.

I tried a couple subtitle add-ons but they all seem to have the same issue. I also removed opensubtitles and its config files and reinstalled but without any breakthrough.

Please see attached zipped log for reference. The part with the opensubtitles add-on starts at line 1345. (removed because of plaintext webdav password in file)

Standard problems are poor quality HDMI cables and inadequate PSU.

Inadequate PSU, does that include the official one for rpi3? I've noticed some weird things happening when an external hard drive is connected. Sometimes the screen turns blank for a couple seconds and the USB remote becomes less responsive. These problems seem to disappear as soon as the USB drive is disconnected.

Nope. But that doesn't mean there could be an issue :)

Is the subtitle downloaded and placed in the correct location at all, or not? Sometimes when the target location is not available or not writable for whatever reason, subtitles will be placed in the temp directory.

Simple question: why WebDAV?

One last thing: actual support questions are preferably asked in a separate forum thread, and not in the news section.

Subs are definitely not saved in the webdav folder. I haven't checked the temp folder. This used to work fine with Libreelec 9.x though. I use webdav because I have 2 TB online storage for all my media. The Pi buffers 1 GB in RAM during playback. This way all content is always available on multiple devices without having to use USB storage. The player (and internet of course) is all that's needed.

Running like a breeze on 2 Pi 4's here. Thanks a lot for all the hard work you guys keep on delivering.

One question. Is it a known issue that subtitles won't download to WebDAV media sources? They download and work just fine on local drives but when I use the Opensubtitles addon to retrieve a file Kodi says it's using it as an external source afterwards. But in reality the download doesn't happen and subs don't appear.

Not possible as Kodi has no concept of video pass-through and only outputs progressive.

Also not at the system level? I mean why not have 1080i as an option in the list? Then everything even Kodi itself is interlaced leaving interlaced video untouched. Then perhaps Kodi can switch to 1080i output when it detects a video or stream is 1080i. I am by no means a programmer though so apologies if these are dumb questions. :|

Just an idea but would it be possible to send the HDMI signal interlaced to the tv and have the tv perform the deinterlacing? Usually TV's are quite capable deinterlace devices. I only see progressive resolutions in the whitelist. Perhaps interlaced resolutions can be enabled some other way?

I noticed you already pulled in kernel 5.3 in the development, also for the Pi boards, and that you are now even working on kernel 5.4 integration. That's really impressive and quite bleeding edge I might say. :) Can you shed a light on current performance just so we can get a hint of the future? Thanks a lot for all your hard work.

there won't be any RPi4 testbuilds for a while.

That's understandable. The .002 build works quite well. Nevertheless curious as I am I made another image from the Github source. It boots and it's even running on Linux kernel 5.1.8 so that's quite amazing. However instead of scaling down the image my 720P tv shows only the upper left portion of the HDMI output when the Pi4 is set to 1080p. Other builds I made in the past few weeks had the exact same issue. The official test builds work fine though. Is there a reason why all builds straight from Github show this behavior? Is there something I can do with these builds that fixes the HDMI output so that my TV receives the entire output?

Here's the original post:

Raspberry Pi 4 temperature - Page 4 - Raspberry Pi Forums

And here's an important follow-up:

Raspberry Pi 4 - new VLI firmware issues - Raspberry Pi Forums

Considering there are still some issues with the newer firmware I've flashed back to the original one, just to be sure.