Posts by lumpi

sun8i-h3-nanopi.dtsiwow, DTSs are a topic of their own, seems more like black magic to me than a scienc*...

So far I found out the following:

Definitely the button is missing - linux/sun8i-h3-beelink-x2.dts at master · torvalds/linux · GitHub

While looking for hints I found a DT overlay I hoped I could steal from - sunxi-DT-overlays/gpio-button.dts at master · armbian/sunxi-DT-overlays · GitHub it even maps the button to KEY_POWER, but not sure how to bend it to fit (PL3) and if overlays work in LE.

Then I hoped to find more hints in this nanopi DTS - linux/sun8i-h3-nanopi.dtsi at 6f0d349d922ba44e4348a17a78ea51b7135965b1 · torvalds/linux · GitHub

Now I had two examples, which looked very dissimilar to me :-S

And

Now confused...

I was playing with the power button (again on beelink x2), which according to armbian fex should be PL03, so gpio355 in sysfs.

But the value doesn't seem to change with button presses. Now i saw in fex, that mux is 6, which should be S_PL_EINT3 i suppose thats an interrupt enabled input.

Is there missing something from the DTS?

I'm not planning to investigate much more, as at the moment the benefits of this button is in any case very limited until the ARISC works, if ever...

Hi

I have a question about Bananapi M2P. This is Allwinner H3. Can I compile LibreELEC for this board?

Hi I guess you are referring to the BPi M2+ in H3 variant (there seems to be also a H5 version)? This board seems to have some DTB in mainline but seems to be some kind of a stepchild if browsing through:

Linux mainlining effort - linux-sunxi.org

and

Linux mainlining history - linux-sunxi.org

compared to others

I didn't try it yet with LibreELEC, but I couldn't find any downside of H2+ compared to H3 in the past. I guess it have lower performance, but don't take my word for it.

the only thing I suspect some probs is the VE, as this seems to be 1080p as opposed to 4k whatever this means in the end for us.

Quote from jernej

BTW, I don't want to support any board/TV box which is not in Linux kernel and only TV box supported is Beelink X2. If you would like something else, please send patches to Linux first. As I said before, I don't want to carry patches forever.

OK point noted...

I saw one that looks like a 1:1 clone of the beelink x2 but... You never know, its like Christmas gifts...

Will think twice now ;)

Yes, it's out of tree. But there is an effort to mainline it.

cool then nothing much missing from H3, thermal, maybe crypto and depending on crust maybe spinlocks and msgbox

Quote from Jernej

Yeah, I follow crust development and I intend to use it here for suspend if it will play along nicely (no major changes to linux or U-Boot necessary).

very interesting, hoping it will do what we hope it does ;)

Definitely no Jernej doing the heavy lifting for me ;) HDMI is via external driver, so not sure how they solved audio

How is it possible you have HDMI audi on H* when sunxi mainlining matrix states a plain bold "NO"? is it out of tree?

oh so I misinterpreted you about the Ampak

I'm not so paranoid, I have just ESD slippers even though I handle expensive electronic boards

hehehe well ESD is like a religion, some believe in it, others don't. At home touching the screw/USB first has to do. Slippers i still have, but not of much use, without the matching floor. so if ever I think I should do more in that direction I think maybe a mat and if i really feel like a wrist band... but as long as its my stuff im destroying its not a big issue, problem was at that factory warranty issues, as most problems from ESD don't happen immediately, so wont get spotted by QC and end up in returns from customers site, quite expensive in industrial.

roel thanks for the suggestion, I checked it but shipped with heatsink it s in a different league than most others, actually for nearly 50$ i prefer buying from olimex, rather than from china well maybe im just wrongly biased :D

jernej I know libreelec is not supporting the A33, but Bootlin and Sunxi usually mention A33 as very well supported and it has a PMIC. The nintendo costs ot much more than the Tritiu board and has a case and a controller ;) then A64 is in the sunxi mainline matrix slightly behind H3, but seems to get lots of attention at the moment.

WRT ESD, I used to be brainwashed about ESD during my apprenticeship in a big electronics company, so I prefer having ESD protecton on rather than taking out my ESD slippers, ESD coat, wristband, waste bags, floor.... you name it :P

The OrangePi Plus2E is a really nice board, but definitely something more for my experimentation than for a simple kodi box from the pricetag...

You mention Ampak, on the product page its mentioned Realtek RTL8189ETV, usually a bit of a diva I guess.

just one more question:

as my parents are struggling with their AndroidTV TV (too slow CPU, many reboots when apps are used etc. etc.) I would like to put an H3 or A64 based Box at their place, now that all is working so nicely

what board would you recommend? A64 or H3? are orange Pis to recommend or is the missing HDMI ESD protection a show stopper for a TV Box? unfortunately the beelink X2 is no more available. maybe friendlyelec or ALL-H3-CC (Tritium)?

Just checked the Olinuxino A64, but there all the Ports are on different edges of the board, so no luck putting it in a non customised case. PINE A64+ 1GB looks better in that HDMI, Power and LAN are on one side.

Maybe a Nintendo classic mini with an A33?

my test procedure:

1. Set up my mobile phone to act as a Xbox remote.

2. execute following command through ssh:

Code
    ir-keytable -c -w /usr/lib/udev/rc_keymaps/xbox_360

3. tested buttons up, down, etc. in Kodi

Above worked on internal IR.

I would have bet with you I tested exactly this yesterday...

But it seems I was wrong. I even compiled evtest on my PC for tests, just to see nothing (from IR).

Today this procedure works, but now I'm still struggling on making this change permanent

After a reboot, when its not working, I'm doing:

Code
    LibreELEC:~ # ir-keytable -a /storage/.config/rc_maps.cfg
    Old keytable cleared
    Wrote 172 keycode(s) to driver
    Protocols changed to rc-5 

with:

Code
    LibreELEC:~ # cat /storage/.config/rc_maps.cfg
    * * hauppauge

it starts working, but won't survive a reboot. going back to the tutorials on IR :)

Edited to add:

after a reboot ith seems to fall back to lirc:

Code
    LibreELEC:~ # ir-keytable -r
    scancode 0x002a = KEY_COFFEE (0x98)
    Enabled protocols: lirc 

somehow, it doesnt seem to load any meaningful table

jernej nightowl as am I ;)

ok tested it with mixed results:

just the remote itself still doesn't work, *but* with the hauppauge stick it works pretty awesome

the Terratec stick has the same problem as the built-in IR (also when plugged into my laptop) and slowly I think there is one problem when the table says: "table: rc-empty"

for me the short term goal is clearly met, have just to investigate where this empty thing is coming from and how to fix it...

just one short question, what was now the problem? how did you fix it?