Posts by toppot

I wonder if there is a way to restore /dev/system... as you pointed that appears to be the issue. I've ran installtointernal successfully before the last time when it froze. So if the eMMC isn't bricked, I'm assuming the partitions are corrupt. I have access to terminal through TWRP, which may not be as limited as LE.

You should investigate where /dev/dtb is mounted from... And in general what you can reach (mount) on /dev/mmcblk0, when booting from sd...

Appreciate your input. Gave it a go, but the box wouldn't boot afterwards.

Code
    LibreELEC:~ # dd if=LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2-8.2.3.1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=4M
    137+1 records in
    137+1 records out
    575668224 bytes (549.0MB) copied, 55.714322 seconds, 9.9MB/s

No booting as in "not even getting the LibreElec splash screen", or that it never completes the boot - until Kodi??

Any diodes showing filesystem activity (or similar, I don't know the box you have)

Have you updated the device tree file?

Try to boot from a sd card, and see if you can access the mmcblk0 device... if so, it is probably the device tree that needs to be updated.

The positive (and this is really great), dd reporting that it copied the files show very clearly that the eMMC is not bricked :)

read: [8.2.3.1] LibreELEC 8.2 for S905/S905X

and: [HOWTO + FAQ] Install community builds on S905/S905D/S905W/S905X/S912 device

Perhaps you overcomplicated this a bit...

Let me share my experience. I just purchased an Odroid C2, and a eMMC card (with sd adapter)..

That box was able to boot the eMMC (generic linux), but my pc could not write LE to the eMMC card via the adapter. So I burned a linux (could probably even be LE) to the SD card, and booted from there. (with the eMMC also present)

Then - instead of dd'ing a u-boot to the eMMC (or running this "installtointernal" command, that seems to be assuming that /dev/system is on the eMMC), I just downloaded the latest Odroid LE image - gunzipped - and then dd that to the eMMC card...

Probably for you something like sudo dd if=LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2-8.2.3.1.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M

(with the disclaimer that I don't know the correct image for you, and if indeed sdb is your internal eMMC - but anyway, worth the shot :)

Then - removed the sd, and LE now runs from the eMMC...

I assume you could do similar - since you where able to copy the u-boot to the eMMC and boot from there...

please share progress :)