Posts by shippy

buzzmarshall

If you read below and what I posted above from ezcast, you will find some your own descriptions mixed up 🐈🐵😈

The difference between wireless screen sharing, screen mirroring and screencasting - Airtame

(Ignore airtame itself.)

Anyway drowning in terminology or asking for a new feature from volunteer devs is not the right way forward, imho. So I am going to pursue some experiments myself, time allowing:

1. Using the Video menu to acquire content from an attached USB stick, and then playing back on Kodi.

This is the easy part. A lot of folks have been doing it.

2. Using that add-on to create the download to USB stick context menu. Of course not all Kodi content will be friendly.

3. Using Kodi UPnP/AirPlay settings to stream, say playing TV channels, from PVR IPTV Simple Client to an ezcast wifi hdmi dongle attached to a regular TV set.

Above is more challenging than streaming recorded library media.

Here the question is whether UPnP AirPlay settings will stream *live* TV channels, and how to use the IR remote control of the TV box. Of course if you have Kodi on a PC ( Windows, Linux, Mac) you might be using a USB plugged keyboard/ Air Mouse, which should all be well supported by Kodi.

(Streaming has 3 components: server, client and control. Some or all might be combined and that is the main technical issue for Kodi.)

It's crystal clear what I said. You said it's about YouTube - no need to stream this to another client.

What do you want to do? You are asking a wide range of questions, and your goal is still unknown.

I am trying to find a working solution to be able to stream video content within my local network to connected home devices. I started with USB, and then not finding a "crystal clear" solution, pitched Mira/Screen cast as alt.

The problem is that there is a lot of terminology and really bad documentation and online "tips" out there. Most this work is volunteer of course; otoh, it is also difficult to experiment all on your own! So we have forums.

My conclusion:

1. Good. Was able to live stream via ezcast when everybody told me it couldn't be done, because it is "just mirroring." So can't give up.

2. Ugly. I'll just have to try USB/ ezcast in various ways to figure out a hack (or give up.) There is a Kodi add-on that supposedly adds a USB download menu item in your right click context menu, but haven't figured it out yet.

3. Bad. That depends. 🐈🐵😈

Edit: Question from another angle.

Kodi-LE didn't support Miracast (built on top of UPnP. Both UPnP client and server plus AirPlay are available in Kodi) in Sep'17:

Kodi as MiraCast target

Please keep in mind that the $10 ezcast/Miracast dongle I mention below supports *both* screen mirroring (Miracast) and screen casting ( eg Chromecast, AirPlay):

EZCast - Chromecast vs EZCast, which one is right for you?

It does both via a proprietary Linux distro which has rocketed sales to millions units annually and prompted clones of clones !

So the question: This ezcast dongle should be able to *live* stream from LE- Kodi, as it does live streaming from Youtube via Android phone?

----------------

I ask because there are $10 Miracast HDMI wifi dongles available aplenty from AliExpress. I myself have used a Miracast dongle with my TV set to stream live Youtube content from my Android phone (albeit with some lag and glitches.)

Also, there are new same/lower priced dongles that are essentially HDMI2USB converters.

Online Shop for smart tv dongle Wholesale with Best Price

No, just simply stored files. But you probably know that this works.

For live streaming the player usually buffers content to the RAM. An USB stick can't be the source of a stream. A server has to do that, because permanent calculation (transmission protocol handling) has to be done while streaming. An USB stick can't calculate.

Ok thanks.

1. Aren't USB sticks used on TV sets to stream live (playback recorded content on USB sticks), if no transcoding is needed?

2. While we are on the subject, is it true that UPnP cannot do live streaming, i.e., can only stream recorded (library) content?

And for live IPTV streaming you would need a UPnP alternative like IPTV for Sony PlayStation 3 - xupnpd ?

3. So...how do you download Youtube type content from LE/Kodi into your USB stick?

Upon imaging in Win7 via Etcher or Win32DiskImager, and inserting this USB stick into TV Box, I keep getting above error on top of blank screen. No boot.

I have tried with several LibreElec /CoreElec Leia beta/RCs on my X96mini S905W box, that already has a CoreElec 8.95.6 internally installed (and booting/working fine.)

I have been online to see many similar error reports but for RPi@ openelec. So what is a solution?

First time sometimes, the same USB stick/SD card works normally. Have 16GB SanDisk Cruizer and 8/16 SanDisk/ Samsung SD cards I use with a USB adapter.

But seems after a couple of boot attempts, above error happens no matter how many reformats under Windows diskpart or Ubuntu gparted etc. Or starting with fresh installs from Etcher/ Win32DiskImager.

Under Windows I am unable to see the boot partition on USB stick after the boot attempts, but Ubuntu gparted /fdisk shows both fat32 boot and ext4 storage partitions without any error reports.

Assuming you pass the "understanding the build system" test and can create a working "Generic" image the main issue you'll have with older hardware is GPU drivers. We tend to support current and recent hardware not old hardware; if we still have the drivers it'll work. If not.. more creativity in the build-system is required.

Linux SBC's are pickier with USB/SD when they run shitty/ancient kernels. Run a modern kernel and those issues generally go away.

Ok.

If running "modern" aka 4.xx were easy, it wouldn't have taken this long !

OE dropped support for i386 images after v5.0 and LE numbering starts at v7.0 so there has never been an LE release that supports i386 hardware. That said, almost all of our build-system supports 32-bit compile (as all the Raspberry Pi stuff is 32-bit) so if you're familiar with the build-system it's not too hard to effectively revert the commits that removed support and create i386 images and binary add-ons. To add perspective; older x86 hardware that needs a 32-bit image probably runs Kodi 18 worse than a Raspberry Pi Zero costing $7 so the question is always "is it worth the effort" ?

That RPi0 isn't much available, certainly not for $7, and requires extra effort. "Linux is easy" is the most hyped tech statement ever. 😈👺 My feeling is that the Linux SBCs are much pickier than x86 hardware with SD cards/USBs.

For instance, I finally found 2GB sticks on Amazon.ca that cost me $20 for a 5 pack. They do fine on the laptop ( both Win/Ubuntu) but can't mount on my S905 TV box (4-5 models by now.) Same with some branded 8/16 GB SanDisk Cruisers and couple others.

Plus people feel comfortable with what they already have- it's integration !

**But again, should 720p run fine on this recompiled distro?

JeOS performance ought to improve with the same hardware; or otherwise it's another Windows thing.

There are still some key milestones to clear before the project is interested in public testing but work planned for the new year should close critical gaps and I'd guesstimate we can start public alpha's (alongside existing releases) after 9.0 has shipped. Until then there's nothing to stop anyone building from my completely un-closed GitHub branch, though things there are often fluid and I'm not some code ninja who never makes mistakes (I'm still amused when people confuse me for a developer). I'm happy that balbes150 is releasing LE and Armbian images from the currently egregious patch-set that's being curated (with assistance from many.. it's far from a solo effort). You should consider Oleg's un-closed releases as our officially unofficial mainline test images :)? 🐆

Balbes has done some great team work ! I just hope the Team can do some doc updates too 😂🐱 Many thread comments would be saved.

If all you plan to do is overwrite stuff .. why make the process complicated by manually unpacking the tarball on a Windows box. Just use the restore function in the settings add-on.

... because unluckily the Restore function is a bit iffy- requires couple reboots, and if you don't wait enough for the backup data on USB to settle down, you data are corrupted and you need to repeat.

Any way I am thinking that since I cannot see the ext4 storage folder on my SD card in Windows, unpacking the tar ball cannot help 🐵🐵

The .tar archive only contains files (nothing to do with ext4) so the only thing you'll need to unpack on Win7 is a tool like WinRAR. If you then try to restore specific Kodi files from a Linux install to Windows you'll have issues with file paths (as Win/Linux use different conventions) and some Linux preferences in guisettings.xml do not exist in Windows. Kodi has never officially supported cross-platform config changes so sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

I actually want to install Linux to Linux LibreElec. The way I see this:

1. Backup from LibreElec settings menu on USB stick on TV box.

2. Insert this USB stick in Win7 laptop.

3. Use WinRAR to unzip .tar on USB above, on HDD. Remove USB stick.

4. Have an SD card ready on same laptop that has a fresh LE image burned onto it via Win32DiskImager.

5. Attempt to transfer .kodi, .cache and .config files from WinRAR archive in #3 to SD card .storage so as to override existing files.

*So #5 should have no problems?

The idea here is to avoid going back and forth between laptop and TV box. And Windows is way easier than Ubuntu mate 18.04 on my 32 bit laptop with frequent JIT crashes and permissions changes pain.

Finally 4.19 !

1. What Leia RC is this?

2. I had a problem booting 19Dec version (see first p18 comment, Thurs 9.27am), so will test it out on my X96mini 1/8GB and the mxqpro+ 2/16GB.

Btw, what dtb do you recommend for the mxqpro+ (BT + dual WiFi, p212 S905X) ?

3. Remote controls for above would be great if not included already! Here is a list:

CoreELEC 9.0.x Remote files - Remote Controllers - CoreELEC Forums

4. I am assuming that the 4.19 will support HDMI 720/1080p.

How about cvbs576?