Posts by White

LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2.4.2-C2.tar

If you look in the boot.ini file you can safely Overclock the C2's CPU's to 1.752GHz

The Overclocked C2 is still the fastest non-HDR S9xx device in the AMLogic arsenal, especially when used with eMMC flash storage.

:thumbup:

Hi wrxtasy , please have a look at mine post here. In the S905X boxes, is there anyway I can max up my 2GB usable RAM and cpu_freq? As mine now running at 1.2GHz only, while I think this S905X might able to go up to 1.536GHz. Thanks a lot for your contribution.

On my X96mini box original heatsink was a piece of metal 3mm thick fastened with a screw to plastic cover of the box. Contact with the processor was over a 3mm thermo pad placed on the processor; when the cover closes the contact between the heatsink and processor is achieved.
    So, I had no problem replacing that with a heatsink for "South Bridge" chip on PC boards that now covers processor and memory chips. Can send you pictures to see how it looks now, if you are interested...

I have no experience with glued heatsinks, but I know that it is very difficult. One has to use heat and carefully take it off with twisting motion, NOT pulling it of the processor.

Your box has the whole cover as a heat sink, that's good idea. But mine has little tiny heat sink, so it was always hot. When I open the top cover and place it like that, the temp goes down to about 55-61 C. I have tried to slightly and gently lift the heat sink up but it's not moving. Maybe there are some trick out there...

Hi there, I have tried your image with my MXQ Pro 4K (2GB RAM, 16GB storage, rtl8723bs,10/100Mbps LAN FC-518LS 1747) with the green board and code hx_s905x v2.42.

1. By using the device tree gxl_p212_1g.dtb, I managed to get it booted to LE. I have tried it with gxl_p212_2g.dtb but no success. Eventually, I only got 1GB of RAM usable. On Android, I have checked with System Info, free -m, AIDA64 and they both say the box has 2GB of RAM. Also on the board has 2 block of 256x4 memory cell, so I'm pretty sure this board has 2GB of RAM, not fake ones.
    2. Also, is the cpu_freq max at 1200MHz? I have heard that this S905x can go up to 1536MHz, is it right? So why we have to limited it lower than it can deliver? Maybe for stability or heat issues?

Could you please have a look at my dtb.img extracted from Android Nougat v7.1.2, and help me to modify a dtb version for my box to get 2GB of usable RAM? Thanks in advance.

Note: I have tried to de-compiled it into dts, but from there, I have no idea what to modify, as well as when I did some changes, compile it back to dtb, put in the sdcard, and it stuck at S905X logo :( It's not an easy process for me :(( Most of the differences between two files is this line:

Code
    linux,phandle = <0x2>;
       phandle = <0x2>;

So I wondering if I can change all of them to match with the dts from android version? How to make it recognizes 2GB RAM and cpu_freq up to 1.536GHz?

And about the memory, I see this:

Code
    ### From Android ###
    memory@00000000 {
       device_type = "memory";
       linux,usable-memory = <0x0 0x100000 0x0 0x3ff00000>;
    };
    ### From gxl_p212_1g.dtb ###
    memory@00000000 {
       device_type = "memory";
       linux,usable-memory = <0x0 0x100000 0x0 0x3f000000>;
    };

Am I just need to change 0x3f000000 into 0x3ff00000 then my box will see 2GB RAM? Or else?

White.

Update 14/07/2018:

1. The seller had conned me, item is on the returning way for a full refund.

2. I have bought another box with S905X, using the same SDCard with old LE 8.2.4.2 image that I use for the returned box, the same dtb.img file -> the cpu_freq is reading at 1512MHz. So for this matter, it should be something to do with bootloader or uboot or whatever it called... Is anyone have any idea? Thanks so much.

I finally have it running!

Thanks White, the other build did the trick, along with the 905X gxl_p212_1g.dtb device tree.

It's really smooth most of the time, but sometimes it bottlenecks and freezes for about 10 seconds, I think that might be the crumby SD Card I'm using.

Oh, and the gpu and cpu temperatures are pretty worrying (and I've not enabled the GPU overclock option in the AMLogic menu)

After 30 minutes or so they're both hovering between 160-170 farenheit, and the box is hot to the touch, last I checked though the temperatures wouldn't even display, just '??'.

Glad it helps.

Sometimes, my box has freeze too, I don't know what cause. However, during the movie session, it plays smoothly until the end, only lag sometimes when I move around the menu or install addons...

My box as hot as yours, around 71 Celcius. So I have take off the top cover and let it naked lol. Now it stay around 51-60. I'm thinking of using bigger heat sink and adding a fan. However, the chip is thermal glued with original little heat sink, so I don't know how to take that out, fry the heat sink up maybe? Sholander may I know your experience when replacing the heat sink please?

Hi there, I have tried your image with my MXQ Pro 4K (2GB RAM, 16GB storage, rtl8723bs,10/100Mbps LAN FC-518LS 1747) with the green board and code hx_s905x v2.42.

1. By using the device tree gxl_p212_1g.dtb, I managed to get it booted to LE. I have tried it with gxl_p212_2g.dtb but no success. Eventually, I only got 1GB of RAM usable. On Android, I have checked with System Info, free -m, AIDA64 and they both say the box has 2GB of RAM. Also on the board has 2 block of 256x4 memory cell, so I'm pretty sure this board has 2GB of RAM, not fake ones.
    2. Also, is the cpu_freq max at 1200MHz? I have heard that this S905x can go up to 1536MHz, is it right? So why we have to limited it lower than it can deliver? Maybe for stability or heat issues?

Could you please have a look at my dtb.img extracted from Android Nougat v7.1.2, and help me to modify a dtb version for my box to get 2GB of usable RAM? Thanks in advance.

Note: I have tried to de-compiled it into dts, but from there, I have no idea what to modify, as well as when I did some changes, compile it back to dtb, put in the sdcard, and it stuck at S905X logo :( It's not an easy process for me :((

White.