I'd like to add to this post for people attempting to configure Putty for connecting from a Windows environment. The information is here and there but seemingly not all in one place. The following steps got me (a linux ignoramus) going:
If you are here, it is assumed that you already have Putty installed and know how to login to LE SSH. WinSCP will be a required download.
1. Generate/Save Public and Private Keys (.pub and .ppk) with PuttyGen (Included with Putty)
2. Copy Public Key (.pub) to LE (/storage/.ssh) with WinSCP (Show Hidden files In 'Options \ Preferences \ Panels \ Common')
3. Use Putty to Run the following commands in SSH session:
ssh-keygen -i -f ~/.ssh/key.pub > ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
chmod 700 ~/.ssh
chmod 600 ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
4. Configure/Save new Putty Session:
- Enter Host\IP
- Navigate to 'Connection\Data' and enter 'root' for 'Auto-login username'
- Navigate to 'Connection\SSH\Auth' and click 'Browse' to select previously generate private key (.ppk)
- Navigate back to 'Session' and specify a Session Name before clicking 'Save'
5. Disable SSH Password in Kodi LE Settings
The saved session in Putty should connect at this point using the Public/Private key combination.
I hope this provides useful reference for others as this thread was one of the first Google hits when I searched for instructions. Beyond that, I now have reference for when I forget how to do this