Posts by Mdisbrow

I upgraded from an s912 box to the pi4. It does load, scrape, and play media quicker however the s912 handles 4K and hdr which the pi4 can not do. Currently unless you want a slightly faster load time there is little benefit to the pi4. It doesn’t seem like support for hdr is coming anytime soon either.

LE 9.2 does not and is unlikely to ever support HDR with RPi4 as it's based upon Linux 4.19 which pre-dates all the initial HDR support being merged into the Linux kernel, and because Kodi will move to a modern GBM/V4L2 architecture for most things running Linux as part of LE10 and Kodi v19. There is a considerable amount of ongoing activity to port RPi hardware away from the legacy MMAL decoder to the new GBM/V4L2 pipeline and once this is working people will start poking 10-bit video and HDR. So.. we're not there yet, but it will come.

Thanks for this answer. I continue to check this forum specifically for hdr support. Hopefully it comes sooner rather than later.

LibreElec runs better on the pi 4 than it did on an amlogic s912. It moves through menus faster, scrapes faster, and starts playback faster. The only thing I am still waiting to see if hdr support. My s912 could playback hdr content, it was just slow to find and play media. CoreElec on the s912 frequently gave me errors too. The only major issue with LibreElec is that it does crash occasionally.