Posts by Schreibwaise

Hmm unexpected result as LE8.2 is working, the log complains about missing sound output

did you tried an Milhousebuild if the same happens there ?

LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 18.0)

Unfortunately exactly the same behaviour.

Kernel log. I also noticed that this error no longer shows up with the new kernel. But is probably unrelated anyway. And ALSA is always reporting "No soundcards found.", but sound output via HDMI is working fine with 8.2.3

Every other week I'm giving the latest version a try, but so far none did work for me. It will always just play some seconds of video (if any at all) and the video will freeze. I also built the VDR vnsi driver and it can successfully connect to the VDR server, but also will freeze when playing video. Kodi is reporting errors and errors. Any idea what's wrong here? LE 8.2.3 works like a charm on the very same hardware.

If the behaviour is to be expected because of the alpha status, please just ignore this post. But quite some people seem to be running the alpha successfully, so I thought it would be good to report that at least on the Z83 mini PC it does not work at all right now.

I agree with the argument that sudo is not needed when you are root. However I doubt very much that ssh root@IP really logs you in as a fully qualified root. I tried to modify config files and found out that many directories are write protected (rwx,rwx,r_x). Root should be able to edit such files or at least change the previleges with chmod. Nothing of that works.

Could somebody please give an advice how to handle this problem?

The root filesystem is a (compressed) squashfs file system and therefore must be readonly. Even root cannot modify any files there. If you want to make changes there, you need to re-create the squashfs and perform an update of the box. Modifying the squashfs can only be performed on a linux system. Best is probably to just build the whole system on your own, then you can modify everything according to your needs.

However, everytime I try to install your update, there is a problem with the Kernel. The message goes "Missing kernel .img or SYSTEM!" What am I doing wrong because I put the file in the update directory, just like you describe it.

Thanks,

Matze

Are you sure you chose the correct image? You do not specify which hardware you are using, but there are different images for x86 or raspberry machines.

How can I enable the "Exit" option in the shutdown menu? I already set "showexitbutton" to true in my advancedsettings.xml and the exit button indeed is showing up, but selecting it simply gets ignored.

Always needing to reboot when I want to make sure I'm starting with a sane state is overkill most of the time. And I do not always have a second machine available to ssh into and kill kodi.

By the way, why does the boot partition of the installer get set to legacy_boot in the first place? This does not sound correct to me because everything gets set up for EFI boot. Is this a work around for strange systems or just an leftover from previous times that still is working only by luck because most EFI implementations are able to cope with it?

In my opinion this partition should just be set to regular boot, and after adding the 32 bit bootloader files, the generic image would be truely generic and also work for those mixed systems with 32 bit boot loader (such as the Bay Trail).

Is there some interest/intention to add support for the Z83 mini PCs that are sold under various names? IMHO this is a great device for running LibreELEC. It comes with 2 GB of RAM and has 32 GB of disk space, gigabit ethernet, USB 3, HDMI output and even a SD card reader. I got mine for about 70 Euros, which is in the same price range one has to pay for a Raspberry Pi3 (since you also need case, sd card, power supply and HDMI cable), but offers much better performance (I'm regularly using music visualizations such as goom that are not available for the raspberry).

The only issue with that device is that it has a 32 bit UEFI, so the generic installation does not work. I played around with it today and came up with these small changes, which allow installation of the generic image on such a device. Adding the 32 bit syslinux files will not harm anybody else; only annoyance is that the EFI partition of the installer needs to be set to EFI boot instead of legacy boot. When booting later on from the internal disk, this change is not needed.

Would it be feasible to create a special project/device for this mini PC? I have found several people on the net trying to install LibreELEC onto the Z83, and there are some images flying around that solve the boot problem (by using grub it seems), so offering an additional official image for those users might be a good idea. Especially as it is so easy.

vpeter Thank you. I will add it as project-specific patch for easy deletion in case it breaks something for someone else.

I was suffering from the very same problem with my MCE USB remote. As a workaround I swapped the channel and volume buttons, but after I found this thread, I gave it a try. And it works like a charm! Tested it both on a raspberry Pi 3 and on a generic HTPC. So I wonder if this really should only be project-specific.

Anyway: Thanks a lot for this great fix!

I'm using a HTPC running libreelec 8.2.1 with vdr backend. I'm watching TV via a raspberry3 with vnsi. Everything is working just fine. Now I tried to enable power saving and configured the server to shut down after 15 minutes of inactivity. The server will happily wake up for planned recordings and the client will wake up the server as well via WOL. But if the server is idle and I'm watching TV from the raspberry, the server still will shutdown after 15 minutes (it does not matter whether I'm watching live TV or some recording). There must be some mechanism for vdr to tell kodi to NOT shut down as recordings during absence are working just fine. But this mechanism seems to be missing for remote clients. Does anybody know how vdr is telling kodi that it is active and that the system should not be shut down automatically?

Hi,

I'm investigating a weird problem: I'm using libreelec 8.2.1 on an Intel HTPC based on this board and with this remote (lircd is disabled of course). After switching on my TV (an old Samsung) the remote does not work for about one minute. After that delay it is working perfectly. I'm sure the problem is triggered by the TV set: If I press buttons with the TV turned off, I can see the control-LED of the USB dongle react on every keypress. As soon as I turn on the TV, the LED will not react at all. The problem vanishes after one minute. I already played around with CEC settings of the TV (turned CEC off completely meanwhile) and also tried various BIOS settings of the board. I even went as far as to recompile libreelec with CEC disabled, but still no solution. Does anybody have an idea what could cause this strange behaviour? Of course I can use yatse on my smartphone as a workaround and then switch to the remote after one minute, but it is still annoying as I prefer the remote over yatse.

Btw, I'm using the dvb image from CvH as I recently switched to a digital devices v7a card which works absolutely perfectly! Kudos and big thanks to CvH for your work :love: But problem also exists with the official image (when using a DVB card that has already supported drivers there).

I also have a Raspberry3 with the same remote, but there I do not have the problem. But it is connected to a different TV which might be the problem. Cannot test the raspberry on the problematic TV at this time of the year :)

Alternatively I would be interested in recommendations for a good remote (time is more precious than money); preferably some wireless so I can hide the receiver behind the case...