Posts by menkalos

The "msdos" partition table type is what LibreElec created for me when I installed the software using the imager. Is there a way to change that so that the imager builds a GPT partition instead? Otherwise, how do I change the partition type on the boot drive? Can I just copy all of the files off to a USB stick, partition the drive as one giant GPT/EXT4 partition and copy the files back and it still be bootable?

All,

I installed LibreElec 10 on a Raspberry Pi 4 that is attached to an 8TB WD drive. I ended up with the following configuration:

Model: WD My Book 25EE (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 8002GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
    Partition Table: msdos
    Disk Flags:
    Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 4194kB 541MB 537MB primary fat16 boot, lba
    2 541MB 575MB 33.6MB primary ext4

I'd like to partition the rest of the drive to make full use of this drive. I'm sure partition 1 is the boot drive and has LibreElec and Kodi on it. How can I tell what is on partition 2? Even that partition is only 33MB in size. What commands can I use to wipe that partition 2 (if possible) and then create one massive partition for my media storage in Kodi? Thanks much!

If I run the command:
    mkpart extended ext4 575 8002

I get an error "Invalid number". Any help is greatly appreciated!

Dave

Anyone? Ping? What am I doing wrong? I very much want to upgrade to the latest Kodi. I download the latest 10.0 for Rpi4 and copy it onto my USB thumb drive using your imager. I plug it into the same USB port that my working 9.2 imaged thumb drive was in. I see the first bit of text scrolling by, but then the screen goes black, and my monitor goes into powersave mode for lack of a signal. I have made NO changes to the Config.txt file, and this is an unmodified RPi4 that runs the old 9.2 image just fine.

Thanks for any help!

I pulled my 9.2 install of LibreElec out of my RV and brought it in to upgrade to a newer build. It boots off of a USB thumb drive with the old build on it. I took another thumbdrive and installed the 10.0 install onto it with the USB-SD creator. I swapped that new thumbdrive for the original and booted my RPi4. I got the initial text screen for a second or two, but then it went black. The lights continued to flash for a while, but I never did get any video over the HDMI port that worked just fine in my previous thumbdrive.

Not sure how to go about troubleshooting this. I'd be grateful for any ideas. Thanks!

I had been running an older version of LibreElec with the Leia version for a while now. It's actually running off of the USB hard drive, with no SD card at all. The same hard drive contains my KODI library.

I just followed the instructions to update to the latest version of LibreElec and Kodi. I downloaded the file LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.95.2.img.gz and copied it (using ssh) to the /storage/.update folder. When I rebooted, it looked like it went thru the upgrade successfully, and then rebooted itself again at the end. I saw the rainbow color box, but that 's it. Nothing else but a a completely black screen (and my monitor eventually goes into power save because of no signal).

I did notice that the screen said that it found an "incompatible config.txt file" that it copied to config.txt.old. When I look at the files (thru the ssh connection that still works), I see that it changed the gpu_mem from my old value of 320 back to 76. I don't see any other changes in that file.

Known issue with latest Matrix build of Kodi? Any recommendations on how to recover this? Thanks much!!!

Oh - and after a couple more reboots, even ssh no longer connects! :(

All you need(ed) to do is/was boot the LE image before trying to copy media to the drive. If the 32k partition contains /storage/.please_resize_me boot scripts detect it, remove the 32k partition, and a new one created at 100% size.

I never copied media to the drive. The drive did resize, but only to the max size supported by the "msdos" partition table type. I think it needs to format the drive using the "gpt" table type instead, so it can support larger partition types.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm booted off of the 8TB drive, and that is the ONLY drive in the system. No SD card at all.

Given this information, what parameters should I use for the parted resizepart command?

When I tried rebooting with an SD card running full blown Raspbian, I tried using the gparted command. That failed, because it said the partition was too big for the "msdos" partition table. It appears that I need to convert to the "gpt" type partition table? Is that right? How do I do that and not lose the content of the drive?

alternatively, can I do a clean install of Raspbian that takes advantage of the whole drive without having to do all this messy drive resizing afterwards? I haven't done anything with the Kodi on this yet, so nothing to lose but the time of reinstalling.

I upgraded the firmware of my RPi4b to the 6/15 update that supports booting from USB. I then used BalenaEtcher to put the latest LibreElec image on it. The end result was a 537MB fat16 boot partition, and a 33.6MB ext4 partition that appears to be mounted as /storage.

How can I expand "/storage" to take the entire 8TB drive instead of just a tiny chunk of it? I want it to host my entire movie collection.

Thanks much!

Could it be that the powerbutton.service is referencing the wrong file? The file references /storage/.config/powerbutton.sh, but there is no such file there with that name. Instead, there is gpioshutdown, which we did set to executable.

It's definitely an issue, I think, but apparently not the only one still. After fixing and rebooting, it still simply powers down instead of gracefully shutting down.

Well, dang. Still no joy. Hitting the IR power down button still appears to be simply yanking the power, not doing a graceful shutdown.

The gpio command is definitely working after adding your add-on, so awesome job putting that together!

Now it's a matter of translating the other bits into their LibreElec equivalents.

One part I can't quite figure out is what is the LibreElec equivalent of the /etc/rc.local file that is supposed to get these three lines before the exit command that is supposedly already there:

sudo /etc/init.d/gpioshutdown &

gpio mode 25 out

gpio write 25 1

There is no /etc/rc.local file to put the commands in (yes, I realize I'd need to modify the path in the first line to /storage/.config, which is where the commands in post 3 put it). What is the LibreElec equivalent? Any ideas about that bit?

I also added these lines to the /flash/config.txt:

device_tree=bcm2710-rpi-3-b.dtb

dtoverlay=power-off,gpiopin=26

dtoverlay=pi3-act-led,gpio=21

I think part of the problem of troubleshooting this is that when it fails, the power appears to be simply instantly cut off, so you can't see if it got even partway through anything.

And thanks again!

Dave

If this project is really about making a simple-to-use KODI media center, then support for most common remote-on-off board should somehow be possible. I'm extremely frustrated that this OS is SOOOO stripped down, I can't complete the configuration of KODI the way I need it. There should be some way for us to use apt-get.

Going to a full-blown OS brings along so much crap that I DON'T need that it compromises the "appliance" nature of what we need. However, this OS has gone too far the other way. Please consider adding WiringPi to the image, or else add apt-get so that those of us who know a little can add the components we truly feel we need.

Thanks much!

There doesn't appear to be a "standard" way to install the WiringPi library, which this piece of hardware apparently requires.

I tried downloading the files manually, but the build script uses make, which apparently isn't part of LibreElec either.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

Surely there is a way to get this remote board working. This is all about Kodi, and Kodi needs to be able to be safely shut down via IR as well as started!

Thanks again!

I bought the IR PowerButton for RPI for my Raspberry PI 3 based Kodi player.

After the hardware install, I went to configure the linux to support it and have the POWEROFF command do a graceful shutdown of the OS instead of a 'crash'.

Here are the instructions I was given: http://wiki.52pi.com/index.php/Power_But..._set_it_up

As you can see, they are NOT for LibreElec. Does anyone have reliable instructions on how to get this configured properly for a LibreElec on RPI3 Kodi box?

Thanks in advance!!!