Posts by S80_UK

5v is only half the story and mostly not the problem.

Sufficient amperage is key here.

Agreed. Voltage regulation and sufficient amperage are very importand. You also need adequate quality cables and connnectors to ensure minimal voltage drops. The problem is typically that USB power supplies that have enough current capability are often compromised in terms of their ability to maintain a good 5 volt supply at the connected device due to the cabling. USB specs allow for some voltage drop, but the short term current spikes required by some platforms such as the Pi can be significant and often result in excessive voltage drops unless the cable is adequately rated. The problem only gets worse with longer cables, of course.

Just a thought - I don't think that FLAC audio encoding itself will generally be the problem, but maybe it is exposing a problem elsewhere. For example, could it be related to the tagging? Maybe the tagging format or content is slightly different in the newer files. Did you transcode from FLAC encoded using 1.2.1 to FLAC using 1.3.2 or did you re-encode from some other format? If you aren't familiar with it, take a look at dBpoweramp and try batch encoding a bunch of files. It's pretty quick, very little work, and it may help. The tags will be retained and embedded in the newer file.

Agree. I am not one of the "Political Correctness" brigade, but having worked in the semiconduction industry for some years, where there were quite a few wives in the business who were more capable engineers than I, I am of the view that the expression is due for retirement. In most cases that I can think of, the terms "not very user friendly" or "may present technical challenges" can be worked into a sentence just as readily, and they are probably less ambiguous to users who do not have a knowledge of such English colloquialisms .

I am a developer myself, so I know that I am running a pre-release and even pre-beta software which may contain lots of bugs. But as a User of such a software I see it as my Job to report bugs that I find in there, in order to help the devs fixing it.

Then report them properly!

As a software tester (I test software and hardware for consumer audio products professionally and as a former developer) I know that saying "it doesn't play properly" tells the developer nothing. A proper bug report will tell the developer everything they need to know about the file you were trying to play, its encoding methods, video and audio data rates, etc. It will tell them about the settings in the software, about the details of the video and audio outputs, and so on. Each of those things and many more could influence the software and whether or not it may play a file. A full debug from Kodi actually makes the task for the tester pretty easy.

If you are a software developer, then you should understand the importance of detailed and accurate bug reports. Your brief description of the problem and assumptions as to where the problems may lie are not enough.

How come someone takes the same LE packages and makes a functional piece of software that WORKS ??!!

Study and learn, HTPC fanboys. Modularize!

And thanks for nothing! ))

Rather than a rant about modularisation, you could take a look at the vast amount of work that has been done over recent iterations of LE and recognise that modularisation has been a constant theme, with an increasing number of elements being modularised over the past couple of years. The fact that there is not a separate DLNA renderer "as standard" currently is a reflection of the needs and interests of the developers who do it for the love of it / for the fun of it. It is hardly a failing of the project and is certainly not worth such a criticism. With software such as LE, where the codebase is open, there's a very straightforward way or introducing changes such as you seek - try it yourself. If you don't have the time or skills, fair enough, but your apparent sense of entitlement does you no credit.

Not good enough.

If you aren't actually going to help then please stay out of the thread.

chewitt was trying to explain the complexity behind the issues that have lead to your disatisfaction. Even though it may not have solved the problem that you have faced, your response is somewhat ironic given the title of the thread.

As far as I know you have to disable adjust refresh rate because otherwise the audiostream gets resample. With resampling pass-through is not possible, only a pcm stream

I think you are confusing "adjust refresh rate" and "synchnise to display". The former should and generally does work just fine with embedded audio streams including HD audio. The latter can only be used with PCM due to the resampling issue and if decoded audio is needed with "synchronise to display" then that has do be done within Kodi/LibreELEC. In this case there is some other issue prevening the OP's hardware from working. About a year ago I tried a Kabini processor for a short while with LibreELEC (Athlon 5350 in my case) but I had trouble to get HD working, and had issues with 4k as well. I went back to Intel since I already had the hardware available.

How to check that? I searched the BIOS but couldn't find any FW number. Also i installed Libreelec from scratch and the same result:

Not having a board with that feature I am not 100% certain. I recall reading previously that it was often only updatable via Windows, which is a pretty poor solution for anyone using the board for anything else. I imagine that the update utility would tell you what the version is, but I am somewhat surprised that the ystem does not report it somewhere. Maybe someone else with a board using the LSPCon chip can comment...

You could rename the thread to "Why there's no such thing as a simple SMB question"... :)

Same as no free lunch, I suppose.

I learned a bit too. I knew it was a bad state of affairs. I had no idea how bad. I guess I've been lucky.

Running ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac LGA1151 HDMI 2.0 ITX Motherboard with Intel 7th Gen Core i7 7700T so that shouldn't be any problem looking at the specs:

Supports HDMI with max. resolution up to 4K x 2K (4096x2160) @ 60Hz

Nice board! Just a thought - do you know whether the HDMI firmware fror the LSPCon chip is up to date? (current is v1.66). That's the chip that converts the display port signals to HDMI, since the HDMI from the CPU/GPU can't do it natively. I don't know if that would cause the problem you're seeing, but it will affect some of the 4k capabilies when it comes to getting HD audio over HDMI to work.

Depends on the hardware you are using - do you know if it can output 4k above 30Hz? Some platforms can. Plenty cannot. But since the live TV source I am guessing is not 4k, you could set 1920x1080 and let the TV upscale which would probably be better. The LG upscaler from full HD to 4K is pretty decent. And if your box can output 4k, it will still be able to switch to that resolution when you play 4k media.

Sorry - I misread the NUC number - Yes, the J5005 would be my preference, although since there's a fair bit of acceleration in the GPU you really don't need much in the way of CPU power. For example, I currently run a Celeron N3060 - two cores, Passmark rating 996 - so less power in the CPU and less in the graphics as well. Full HD is never a problem. 4K at 30 Hz is no problem when playing H264 encoded material. Where the Gemini Lake parts score is the support for HDMI 2.0 (and hence 4k up to 60Hz) but watch the system specs, don't just rely on the chip specs, since some J4005 mother boards are only claiming 4k 30Hz. As far as I know the Intel NUCs using j4005 and J5005 are both OK in this respect. The only snag for me is I think they may have fans, and I really want a fanless solution, so I'm looking to ITX boards at present.

Plenty of us on this forum using x86. It's just that we don't have as much to complain about as some other platforms' users. ;)

For the new Gemini Lake hardware the only way to go at present is with test builds, such as the Millhouse Leia builds. And since CPUs such as the J5005 are still very new, there is plenty of scope for things to not go 100%. I can't speak from experience - I've not yet jumped to Gemini Lake (I'm still on Braswell) but I have read one or two people havve had good results with those builds.