Mouse slow to respond

• I'm an absolute novice at the Raspberry Pi 3, LibreELEC, KODI and Linux in general. I have quite a few problems getting things set up, some of which I'm still researching. But I can't find anything at all on this particular one.

I am using a wireless mouse, Logitech, which I'd describe as "soft and sponge-like" in operation. The cursor movements are slow with a noticeable delay at times. Sometimes I have to wiggle the mouse a bit to bring a selection into focus even though the cursor is over the focus box. There is also a noticeable overshoot in cursor movement.

A wired mouse shows none of those problems.

The intended application is as a media server for a hospitalized patient with limited use of her limbs, and the room layout makes it very inconvenient to used a wired mouse. I can't find any mouse adjustments either in LibreELEC or KODI except for enabling/disabling mouse support.

If there is a solution that involves digging into the OS from a command line, I'll give it a shot although I may be back with more questions. I've got a system backup on a spare SD card, so I'm not afraid of messing things up.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The forum rules say one topic per post, so I'll ask a few other questions in other threads.

• Official Post

A wireless mouse has certain extra aspects to think of, one in particular is saving battery power. So it's possible having to 'wake up' the mouse (and its connection to the attached device) with a wiggle. If you can use a wired mouse, including an USB extension cable(s) if necessary, that would be the better option IMO.

On a Raspberry Pi 3 (which is still no PC equivalent in raw CPU power), mouse movements can be sluggish, also because during video play, the GUI fps rate is slowed down for overall video performance. An RPi is a brilliant video player considering its age and minimal setup (think of it as an average smartphone from 2009), but its CPU is minimum at best. Its current 64bit chip is still used as 32bit for the time being.

And given the fact that using a keyboard(like) device is getting you around in Kodi faster, a mouse is usually not the fastest way when browsing through the Kodi menus. Some people use their TV remote (via CEC) to control Kodi, others use game controllers. But I can also understand that hospital patients have a limited choice in Kodi control options.

• These answers are complete BS, ignorant and plain wrong.

I had same problem on my first Raspberry install and found the solution with some searching:

Add: usbhid.mousepoll=0 to /boot/cmdline.txt

fixed!

only problem I have now is that my first install was with Berryboot and not Noobs.

Berryboot mounts the /boot partition for easy access inside both Rasbian and OpenELEC.

Now I just installed via Noobs, and there's no /boot mounted.

Looks like Noobs or LibreELEC mount this partition as /flash, so:

Add: usbhid.mousepoll=0 to /flash/cmdline.txt

this would fix your mouse problem.

New Problem: LibreELEC mounts /flash as read-only, so you need to look which device and partition it is and remount it as writeable:

eg: df -h (to see mounted partitions), then:

mount -o remount,rw /dev/mmcblk0p8 /flash

(just chance the /dev/... to fit your local setup)

now you can do: nano /flash/cmdline.txt and fix your mouse lag problem...

PS. Yes, this topic was over 100 days old, but it was the first answer I got in DuckDuckGo when looking for a solution... so I added it here once I figured it out.

Edited once, last by Rittmeister (October 27, 2018 at 9:09 PM).

• These answers are complete BS, ignorant and plain wrong.

Well, good evening to you too.

You can have your own opinion, however some Kodi skins don't even have/allow mouse support.

The fact is, that when a mouse is usable with Kodi, it's considered a bonus.

FYI: we don't care much for Berryboot, and OpenELEC is pretty much dead by now after 1.5 years of total inactivity.

Looks like Noobs or LibreELEC mount this partition as /flash, so:

LibreELEC works, like OpenELEC used to, with a read-only system partition and a storage partition for many years already.

Also, calling BS and 'ignorant' in your first post on this forum is not the preferred way of making friends here.

• You seem to care more about your getting triggered than about me providing a solution to a problem that thousands of users seem to have.

Also, no need to get all triggered and hurt feels when I mention Berryboot and OpenELEC. I know it is "dead" that's why I am checking LibreELEC out now.

• well, the good news is: My Playstation Dualshock 2 works now, unlike with the previous Berryboot/Openelec version.

If the mouse had not worked at least to some degree, I would probably have given up already.