3D Subtitles are shown twice

• Hi. I have Problems with subtitles when i am watching a 3D MKV with 3D Subtitles. Kodi doubled the Subtitles, i have one at the correct Position and a second one in the middle of the Screen. When i play the mkv with another Player like Media Player Classic everything is ok. I found something on the web that says it could be a Problem with the 3D Gui of Kodi, but that was a Problem of a beta Version of a previous Kodi. I am using a Rpi 2 with the latest libreelec Release Kodi Krypton 17.3. Never had this Problem with Jarvis. Is this a bug or is there a setting to solve this which i did not found yet?

• yeah. I have a 3D Tv :D

Media Info makes no sense. It happens with every 3d MKV i have. I made my MKV with the Prog BD3D2MK3D from the Doom9 Forum. As subtitle Format i use PGSSUP attached to the MKV.

It seems to be the same Problem like i found on the Net. If i disable all 3D Funtions within Kodi the Subtitles are displayed like they should but this sucks very hard because of 2 issues.

1. I have to switch my TV to 3d Mode by hand which iss a pain in the ass because i do not have a shortcut button on my remote

And

2. The Kodi Gui is not useable in 3d Mode

Where can i find the kodi.log File?

• If i disable all 3D Funtions within Kodi the Subtitles are displayed like they should but this sucks very hard because of 2 issues.

That doesn't sound right. Have you produced subtitles with two copies of each subtitle (e.g. duplicated SBS or TAB).

You don't want to do that. When playing a 3D video kodi will automatically duplicate the subtitles in the correct manner

(may be Frame packed, SBS or TAB).

• BD3D2MK3D produces 3D subtitles. It extracts the depth information if existing from the source and use this information for the new subtitles. I use TAB so In my case it produce a .sup File with 2 lines, one for the upper Image and one for the lower.

I was afraid that Kodi is duplicating the subtitles and that it is not a bug. When was this feature implemented? With Krypton? Like i said, never had this issue with Jarvis or Isengard. Is there a way to force Kodi not to duplicate the Subtitles in 3D Mode?

• Sorry for the delay, have been extrem busy at work. I attached the Krypton Logfile. I also made another test and installed Jarvis on a second SD-Card and played a 3D Movie. What can i say... On Jarvis it works without Problems. I did 2 Screenshots that you can see the Problem better (NOTE: for taking the Screenshots i set my TV back to 2D Mode, Kodi is still running in 3D Mode)

Here's the Screen with Jarvis, like it should be.

Here the same Scene with Krypton.

Obviously something was changed between the 2 Versions, so what can i do except downgrading all my devices to Jarvis?

And your question for the naming of my files. No, i did not add an Extension like "3D-HTAB", it is not necessary. The Files are tagged with the "Stereomode" Flag and i let Kodi extract the Media Information from the Files and all 3D Movies are recognized as 3D Movies.

• Official Post

I've had a chat at Kodi HQ, and as one of the developers just said:

The video he created (most likely using DVDFab) has been created for players that can't handle 3D, thus everything got prepared so that the user only has to trigger 3D mode on his TV and be done. Kodi however can handle and process 3D and thus only needs "raw" subtitles, regardless if the source is MVC encoded or SBS/TAB.

if all his movies are like that, he can turn OFF 3D support, which leaves him with a broken UI when his TV is in 3D mode. To my knowledge Kodi always handled subtitles the way it does right now, so nothing changed in regards to 3D support since Jarvis

In other words, could you perhaps do a test with an external .srt subtitle for that 3D video, and see if the subtitle is displayed correctly?

• I will. Cause i own every Movie i encoded i can use the original Subtitle Stream. I will report but i am sure that it will work.

But i have to disagree to the statement that Kodi always handled subtitles from 3D Movies like it does now. Proof can be seen in my Post above. And Isengard also didn't handle 3D Movies that way Kodi does now. I started with Isengard and always watched 3D Movies with Kodi since then and never had this issue. If i had, wouldn't i have changed the way i made my MKV's?

• So, Update. I extracted the Subtitle from the 2D Version of the Movie and copied into the Movie Folder. Kodi found it. I don't know why, but there is a timeshift between the displaying Subtitle and the runtime of the Movie, but that doesn't matter. The Subtitle was displayed only once and not twice.

BUT: i had another Idea. I have another little HTPC on which i was running Kodi before i switched to the Raspberry. I switched because the Raspberry had several Advantages like less power consumption, less noise but the most important thing was, the Rapsberry was able to switch the 3D Mode of my TV which my HTPC was unable to do. According to the Forum is this an issue of the Intel Driver. After testing with the installed Jarvis (no issues) i downloaded the newest Generic.x86_64 Libreelec Image, made an Update to Krypton and tried to play a 3D Movie with the 3D Subtitles. And guess what.... It doesn't double the Subtitles...

Short Summary of all my testing:

Raspberry Pi2 with Isengard and Jarvis: no issues

Rapsberry Pi2 with Krypton: double Subtitles

Intel based HTPC with Jarvis and Krypton: no issues

Can someone explain that to me? Is this a bug on the Raspberry Image of Libreelec?

Edit:

Just hooked up my Workstation PC which is running the Windows App of Kodi. Same thing here: No doubled Subtitles.

Edited once, last by SebSonic (July 18, 2017 at 7:46 PM).

• Official Post

Well, if development meant that one single program would run the same for 100% on all the various hardware in the world, it would save a heck of a lot of time of extra development and testing. Sadly, each hardware has its own requirements and its quircks. :)

It's very possible that it is a RPi-only problem (I'm not a Kodi developer myself). Thank you for testing, I'll pass on your test results to the crew.