RasPi2 streaming over WLAN problems

• Hey guys!

Got a new problem. When I stream a movie from my HTPC to my RasPi2 over WLAN after a while the movie stutters and buffers slowly. I don't know it's Kodi, the AVM Fritz!Repeater 300E or my AVM Fritz!Box 6490 Cable router. The signal between the router and the repeater is... hmm... ok with ~144 Mbit and should do it because other movies stream well but bigger ones... I will try tomorrow to relocate the Fritz!Box but I think it could be another issue.

Here's my config and log: aKMA

• So I relocated the router and no improvement on playback. Problem still there. Only the radio reception has improved. But the communication between repeater and router is always 144 Mbit/s. Firmwares are all the latest.

Could be the problem by Kodi or something else?

• Official Post

I had similar problems, and the problem lies with your wifi. Whilst the connection speed might be high you need to determine the actual download speed. Check that the HPTC and RPI2 is handing the data efficiently (No CPU or I/O waits). I slightly improved matters by buying a wifi repeater with ethernet connection, but was not totally effective.

Doing tests, with a connection speed of 98Mb I was only getting 3-6Mb download. You might improve things by buying a much better wifi dongle with extended antenna to get a better input signal - some of the small wifi dongles only have a small antenna.

Or, you could try a 5Mhz dongle if your router handles it - I believe it will work, but don't take my word for it - search on the forum for advise.

I solved the issue by buying a 1Gb homeplug (The one that connects ethernet over your home wiring)

• I only stream over 5GHz and the AVM Fritz!WLAN Stick N v2 actually is a good dongle. But it surprises me also that the Fritz!Box and the repeater communicate only over 144Mbit instead of 300Mbit. Maybe they throttle but every time I look into the control center they communicate with 144Mbit.

Some infos:

With the homeplug you mean a DLAN adapter right?

• I'm not sure but I think I found the problem. Maybe it was the damn patch cable from the HTPC to the router. Oh man... so much trouble and in the end it's such a simple thing.

Edit: It was the patch cable.

Edited once, last by Johnnii360 (July 3, 2017 at 4:55 PM).