Please add Digital Devices DuoFlex C2/T2 support for Libreelec.

• Hi Guys,

I've got the MiniPci-e card and a dvb-c card from Digital Devices. Tried the latest DD enabled images from CvH but my particular card doesn't show up in TVh. Any clue how i could start tackle the issue?

PS: Worked fine in OE 7.x

Using this:

DuoFlex C2/T2 | DigitalDevices.de - DVB Komponenten, SAT>IP Server, S2, C2

Octopus miniPCIe V2 | DigitalDevices.de - DVB Komponenten, SAT>IP Server, S2, C2

All together it's a great DVB-C Solution that never let me down so far, Would really love to get this working again, the card wasn't cheep either and it's the only solution that fits into a NUC with a bit of work i put everything together...

Thanks,

Linus

• Did you tested LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0.2-digital_devices.img.gz ?

That include the latest drivers DD has to offer.

PS: Worked fine in OE 7.x

OE included a Patch to support these cards, we dropped it in favor of TBS drivers that support much much more cards.

As long DD din't get their drivers into the kernel (unlikely that happens till some hobbyist cares about it) there is nothing we can do besides providing a dedicated image.

• Hi CvH,

Thanks a ton for elaborating !

Didn't know about the patch for OE...

I'd be happy to test images if you've build them.

And to answer your question, yes I've tested the LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0.2-digital_devices.img.gz but the problem is that the PCI-e bridge doesn't seem to work for these builds (I've also tested the earlier builds, LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0.1-digital_devices.img.gz and LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0.0-digital_devices.img.gz, unfortunately without success.

Guess this is what's required to get the bridge working: Releases · DigitalDevices/dddvb · GitHub

And this is their drivers page: 80

Please let me know what sort of contribution I can help with, I'd be very interested to get this working on LibreElec, as I intend to move permanently to LE.

Thanks,

Linus

• It logs very suspicious like a driver bug, google search finds some additional users with the same problem (debian ..)

ngene: Unknown symbol dvb_ringbuffer_write_user (err 0)

pls contact DD support (no way at github to do something) and ask for fixing their drivers :)

if they got something I can easily build a new image

• Hi CvH,

thanks for the tip, I've dropped DD a message on their contact page with a link to this thread. As the least powerful chain link I can only hope that you guys get on well and fix my issue hopefully :-). I really do like the DD device as it's channel switch time is just phenomenal and it's to my best knowledge the only card in that form factor with a dual cable or sat tuner. Also DD is a German based company and delivers a good job on quality and doesn't seem like unwilling to help. They have done an outstanding support job once my card failed and replaced it on warranty after almost 2 years with an incredible analysis report on what broke. I have to take up the cudgels on behalf of them and bring that up for the community!

Thanks,

Linus

• Hi CvH,

Here the German -> English translated response I got back from DD support:

The error comes from the ngene driver which is part of the Kernel, which we can't influence. Normally the card should work with the ngene driver out of the box unless the kernel has been modified somehow. As LibreElec is an OpenEmbedded OS, we can't eliminate that possibility.

I can't imagine that this is a general problem as we got many customers who run these older cards with Micronas chipset on recent Ubuntu/Debian Systems. Thus I would suggest to test the card on Ubuntu 16.04 or a later Debian 9 to see if it exposes the same error, or if the card is properly detected there.

That's it so far... CvH what's your take on this ?

Should I do as requested, or do you think that's a useless exercise ?

I mean this is a whole lot of work to setup and configure everything..

Thanks again for your help!

• The error comes from the ngene driver which is part of the Kernel, which we can't influence.

The driver comes from GitHub - DigitalDevices/dddvb: ddbridge linux driver and we only build the modules so there is no influence from our side (hopefully).

I could build an version with an more recent driver version (maybe tomorrow) if the problem appears here too. With LE9 there is a possibility to install these drivers as addons, but currently we are not there already. Btw if you get some reply again pls post in german, google translate is a bit wacky for this.

• Hi CvH,

WoW ! That was a fast tomorrow ;) really appreciated !

I've tested Index of /LibreELEC/8.0_Krypton/Generic-x86_64/ and unfortunately it's a fail....

Here's the demesg|paste: IEUG

I'll go ahead and install Ubuntu 16.04 as DD requested to see if that brings any enlightenment....

In parallel I'll mail the guys of DD and point them again to this thread...

Will let you know how it goes...

Thanks again and sorry for bothering so consistently...

Linus

• Hi CvH,

I have done my bit and gave up after 5 hrs trying to fix things. But I know for sure now that Ubuntu is not the solution either.

Problems I've seen on 16.04.03 (what you get today as download):

• Firmware files neither installed nor installable via apt
    • ddbridge, is there, but not loaded. Loading it prior to ngene works but doesn't help
    • ngene driver loads the firmware but complains about not being able to identify the demod (guess demodulator)

I'll save you from all the juicy details but it was not a simple endeavor!

Digital Devices's support has all the dmesg logs + a ton more description...

Will keep you updated.

Thanks again!

Linus

• Hi CvH,

Techsupport from DD called me today (unheard of!! they really rang me up !!) and we had a chat about a couple of things and options.

First of all: There are two series of chipsets, one based on micronas, which requires ngene drivers - maintained, or better abandoned by Oliver Endriss aka UFO. The whole kernel module seems in limbo ever since...details here: Digital Devices DuoFlex C&T - LinuxTVWiki

Due to missing cooperation of micronas (part of TDK) and other limitations of this hardware revision 1, DD came up with a better chipset that allows flashing the FPGA and other nifty tricks.

The second chipset which DD uses now needs DDbridge as driver.

Unfortunately I have the first one. I know it's impossible for anyone to support ngene from what I've read.

For that reason I'll think about purchasing another tuner card that I can use with my existing PCI bridge. During my holidays I'll not watch too much TV anyway :)

I guess this means we can close this thread, or keep it open, maybe someone has a better final verdict ?

Thanks again, and will send an update once I've come to a decision.

Here some information about the hardware I have , just in case someone else runs into this:

This is the card/set I am using, it's comprised of a mini pcie card that goes into the mini pc (zotac ad04) and a tuner card that sit's in an extra box I build for it, strapped with zipper tape on the back of the Mini PC. All this goes onto the vesa mount of the back of my TV.

Twin Tuner TV Card DVB-C/C2/T/T2/ISDB-T (4 Port Bridge) - DD DuoFlex C2T2 Octopus mini PCIe

Twin Tuner TV Karte DVB-C/C2/T/T2/ISDB-T (4 Port Bridge) - DD DuoFlex C2T2 Octopus mini PCIe

That's the chip on my card unfortunately:

micronas

This is the chip on their new hardware revision that I consider buying:

lattice-ecp3

• Really appreciate it CvH!

For the next two weeks i'll be offline, as i am on holiday in lovely Italy with the family.

Lets make a plan when i'm back. There might be a chance to load the ngene module with specific parameters to configure the driver correctly for my device, I believe we're not too far off. I've seen the ngene module loading OK (no ngene: Unknown symbol dvb_ringbuffer_write_user (err 0)) but the card still didn't show up, here the messages i've observed full logs attached.

This is from the full ubuntu install (16.04.03)

Relevante Auszüge aus dmesg, komplettes log siehe Anhang: dmesg-cleaninstall-wo-firmware.log

[ 8.283413] cxd2099: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.

[ 8.283479] cxd2099: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel

[ 8.298654] nGene PCIE bridge driver, Copyright (C) 2005-2007 Micronas

[ 8.298776] ngene 0000:04:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)

[ 8.299025] ngene: Found Digital Devices DuoFlex PCIe or miniPCIe

[ 8.313538] ngene: Device version 1

[ 8.318644] ngene 0000:04:00.0: Direct firmware load for ngene_18.fw failed with error -2

[ 8.318655] ngene: Could not load firmware file ngene_18.fw.
    [ 8.318667] ngene: Copy ngene_18.fw to your hotplug directory!

[ 8.321049] ngene: probe of 0000:04:00.0 failed with error -1

_________________________________________________________________________________

Von meiner alten Openelec installation habe ich dann die erforderliche firmware nach ubuntu /lib/firmware kopiert

Danach wieder Relevante Auszüge aus dmesg, komplettes log siehe Anhang: dmesg-cleaninstall-with-firmware.log

[ 8.294156] cxd2099: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.

[ 8.294229] cxd2099: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel

[ 8.350887] nGene PCIE bridge driver, Copyright (C) 2005-2007 Micronas

[ 8.350997] ngene 0000:04:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)

[ 8.351243] ngene: Found Digital Devices DuoFlex PCIe or miniPCIe

[ 8.355754] ngene: Device version 1

[ 8.358199] ngene: Loading firmware file ngene_18.fw.

[ 8.411624] i2c i2c-14: error in i2c_read_reg

[ 8.411644] i2c i2c-14: No CXD2099 detected at 40

[ 8.415839] No demod found on chan 0

[ 8.423405] No demod found on chan 1

[ 8.428731] No demod found on chan 2

[ 8.429982] No demod found on chan 3

Thanks,

Linus

• Hi have an simlaiert issue, i use this one https://www.digital-devices.eu/shop/en/octopu…oppel-ci-bridge

DD Octopus Twin CI & DuoFlex S2 - Twin Tuner Card DVB-S/S2 (Doppel CI Bridge)

the tv card looks like to work in LE9, but the ci slots are not available, the ci slot from my old tv card don't available too, but this one works in LE8 befor i installed the DD octopus card, i have the new libreelec v 9 couse in v8 the dd card don't work

does someone know if the double ci slot will work?