possible to save addons and settings before updating?

• i'm currently running libreelec 7.0.3 on a raspberry and want to update to 8.0.1
    when updating, do i keep all my addons and settings or do i have to reinstall everything?
    if so, is it possible to backup everything in one version and restore that backup to a completely different version after updating?
    and what is actually saved in the backup under settings? does that backup keep your addons as well or just settings?
    thnx

• Yes all you're add-ons and settings will be retained when updating, however, some add-ons may not work if they aren't compatible with the new version.

Yes, use the backup and restore function. The backup contains your entire ~/.kodi folder and some other bits and pieces.

• ok great. then the backup should work the same if i make one in 7.0.3 and restore it in 8.0.1 and even if something doesn't work i should always be able to revert back without losing anything.

one last question, i installed libreelec with a triple boot image i downloaded and it launches directly into kodi. this image also had two shortcuts in kodi under programs that led to retropie and raspbian but a while ago i had some problems and reset all settings and lost those two shortcuts so now i can't use them.
    they're still installed so all i need is the shortcuts, do you or anyone else here know how i can create new shortcuts for retropie and raspbian?

• ok, think i'm gonna have to ssh them over and reinstall everything because like i mentioned above, i installed a triple boot but when i reset the kodi setting i lost the shortcuts to open raspbian and retropie and since no ones been able to help me set up new ones i might as well make a new clean install.
    so i basically need my addons but not the settings since i don't want to overwrite the things already set up.

so what do i need to get if i just want my addons? i've never messed around with the ssh before so i'm not really sure what folders i need and if i need any extra files. is the addons folder all i need?

Edited once, last by JimZiii (April 16, 2017 at 2:15 AM).