ir-keytable issue on LE 8.0.1 with Odroid C2

• Hi there,
    I recently post this issue in "general forum", but ask by the moderator to post it here again, because he thinks it's a Amlogic problem!

Here we go:
    Since I've got lirc not comfortable to run, I decide to give ir-keytable a try to manage my remote control! It seems to run very well, my remote is very fast. I'm very happy with the speed, but there is one issue left! Somehow the last used key will be remembered, but only when you use a new one! For example.

Code
    KEY_UP, KEY_UP, KEY_UP

works fine, very fast without issues

Code
    KEY_UP, KEY_UP, KEY_DOWN

the last KEY_DOWN produced a KEY_UP followed by a KEY_DOWN

so, when I change a key, the last key is performed twice.

Do anyone knows about this? This has to be a setting too, I think....

So here is my Setup:
    LE 8.0.1 on an Odroid C2
    builtin ir is used with a XBox-One

And some outputs:
    [code=php]
    LibreDROID:~ # ir-keytable
    Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event5) with:
    Driver meson-ir, table rc-empty
    Supported protocols: lirc rc-5 jvc sony nec sanyo mce-kbd rc-6
    Enabled protocols: lirc nec
    Name: meson-ir
    bus: 25, vendor/product: 0000:0000, version: 0x0000
    Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
    [/php]
    dmesg
    journalctl -a
    lsmod
    systemctl -a
    udevadm info -a -n /dev/lirc0
    lsusb -v

Thanks for support,
    WebEye

• I noticed the same issue a while ago. I was talking with Kwiboo about it but we haven't found a solution yet.

ah ok, that stops me, to look further after this issue! Thank you!
    But maybe you can help me then with my lirc issue, the problem is, it's damned slow! Sometimes I had to press a button twice for any reaction. I've already played with the repeat/delay options in lircd.config, but without any luck.
    This problem began with LE 7.9x, versions before that had no problems.

Thanks,
    WebEye

• For me it is the same. Using my MCE Remote it is very slow after moving to krypton.
    Hope that someone knows what has been changed.

Recently Raybuntu answered me in another thread:

As he said the ir-keytable issue is well known, but no time to fix it! He also said that Kwiboo fixed the slow response for NEC remotes in LE. So we have eather to wait for an upcoming LE 8.0.2 or have to compile it by our selfs.

Maybe you can try out one of the community builds:

Raybuntu
    wrxtasy

Thanks,
    WebEye

• Yesterday I build the current libreelec-8.0 branch!
    Unfortunately there are no changes to my lirc issue, still got slow response! I think it's eather the lirc update to lircd 0.9.4c or there is something with the meson-ir driver.

Is it maybe possible to compile the current 8.0 branch with an older lird version? A little how-to will be helpful, I'm new to this...

Thanks,
    WebEye

PS: To compile LE on a Atom S1260 is no good idea ;)

• I found a workaround for now!
    I build a LE 8.0.1 with a patch @tom81 has delivered, see at this posting at hardkernel forums
    For all who are interessted, this patch is not a fix, it makes the ir-keytable issue more acceptable! And keep in mind, with this patch will lirc not work.
    So I'm looking forward that sombody resolves the current ir problems, lirc as well ir-keytable....

Greetings,
    WebEye

• I know I'm grave digging, but I couldn't find a newer post with this problem where the last button press registers again with a new button press, effectively doubling every keypress.

It looks like mainline has fixed the issue:

media: rc: meson-ir: add timeout on idle · torvalds/linux@8d7a77c · GitHub

They, fittingly, call these keypresses "ghost" keypresses. It looks to be caused by the hardware not generating a timeout after each keypress, so they added it in software.

My question is this:

Can we get this fix backported to our kernel in the official odroid C2 (and generic amlogic devices) builds?

Thanx

• It looks like mainline has fixed the issue:

media: rc: meson-ir: add timeout on idle · torvalds/linux@8d7a77c · GitHub

They, fittingly, call these keypresses "ghost" keypresses. It looks to be caused by the hardware not generating a timeout after each keypress, so they added it in software.

My question is this:

Can we get this fix backported to our kernel in the official odroid C2 (and generic amlogic devices) builds?

The fix is already in the LE amlogic-3.14 tree, see these 2 PRs: fix in-kernel decoding with meson-ir by HiassofT · Pull Request #83 · LibreELEC/linux-amlogic · GitHub fix flush_timer by danielkucera · Pull Request #98 · LibreELEC/linux-amlogic · GitHub

LE 8.2.5 uses an older version of the 3.14 kernel without these fixes, but the current LE 9.0 development branch has these built in.

so long,

Hias

• Hi,

does anyone have a compiled version of LE 8.2.5 including the fixes mentioned above by Hias?

Alternatively, could someone point me to information on how to apply these patches and compile LE myself (on a Windows machine) for the Odroid C2?

Thanks,

Deepo

• Hello,

since LE 8.2, I had no more issues with my remote (using ir-keytable)!

Maybe you got another issue!

I don't know, how to compile LE on a Windows machine, maybe you should setup a virtual machine with some linux....

Good luck,

WebEye