LibreELEC OS Auto Update question

• Hi there!

I notoced this line in the LibreElec wiki:
    LibreELEC operate a 24-hour canary period between publishing a new release and the release being available via auto-update. In this 24-hour period you can only do manual updates.

Is this 24 hour period built into the LE OS, or is it something that is set on the server side?

I am managing my own branch of LE, and am attempting to roll out an update, from 7.0.2.003 to 7.0.3. The systems are all set to auto update, and in fact upon reboot, they all receive a popup that says "LibreElec update available". But the auto update does not happen.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Ken

Edited once, last by kenmills (April 7, 2017 at 3:17 AM).

• Official Post

It's all done in the backed.

The client pings the server, the server replies with the latest version and the client checks if it is on that version then decides to update or not.

• Ok cool... Hmm, then why aren't my auto-update devices getting updates automatically I wonder?

I can do a manual update no problem.

I am wondering about this canary period, how does that work?

Cheers,
    Ken

Edited once, last by kenmills (April 7, 2017 at 5:20 AM).

• Hey again,

OK gotcha, thanks Irusak!

So if i am using a custom LIbreELEC, with a custom update website, then I can control that with a releases.py script and update.php.

I will take a peek into my code to see if I can see why it is not auto updating.

Thanks for your help!
    Ken

• Official Post

Hey again,

OK gotcha, thanks Irusak!

So if i am using a custom LIbreELEC, with a custom update website, then I can control that with a releases.py script and update.php.

I will take a peek into my code to see if I can see why it is not auto updating.

Thanks for your help!
    Ken

Not exaclty.

releases.py and releases.json are completely separate from the auto update backend. We do not host the code for our auto update backend. Basically it is just some php scripts that handout a url.

releases.py and releases.json are just for manual updating and for use with the USB-SD creator utility.