Trying to write /etc/hdparm.conf

• Hi, I installed the INTEL/NVIDIA version to the hard drive of my media center. Everything is great! I like it and it boots so much faster than my previous setup.

However, I cannot create /etc/hdparm.conf to put my external drives to sleep when not being used. I live in hot weather, and they get awful hot. so having them spin for nothing will just wear them out faster.

How do I create this file to control the spindown time of my drives?
    [hr]
    After googling for a few minutes I found some information that lead me to do this:nano /storage/.config/autostart.sh

inserting:
    #!/bin/sh
    (
    hdparm -S 5 /dev/sda;
    hdparm -S 5 /dev/sdb;
    hdparm -S 5 /dev/sdc;
    hdparm -S 5 /dev/sdd;
    ) &

Could someone confirm that will work or is the proper way?
    I am using 8.0.1 by the way.

Edited once, last by fbc (April 2, 2017 at 6:36 AM).

• Official Post

As long as the hdparm command you're wanting to use works from the busybox bash shell (manually test first) that script should be fine. You'll find that Kodi is almost permanently doing something so sending /dev/sda to sleep (assuming it's the boot disk) probably doesn't achieve much.

• As long as the hdparm command you're wanting to use works from the busybox bash shell (manually test first) that script should be fine. You'll find that Kodi is almost permanently doing something so sending /dev/sda to sleep (assuming it's the boot disk) probably doesn't achieve much.

Thanks for the reply! I wasn't too sure I was going to get one. I love this project. I hope it continues to thrive.

Why did this not turn into a conventional install-able and alterable Kodi distro? Why this embedded RO file system feel to whole thing?

• LE is intentionally an embedded/appliance-like OS. If you want apt-get and editable (also means breakable) everything there are several other good distro's to choose from.

I don't know of any other. I was a previous user of Kodi-buntu before it was discontinued. I think I got this one working to where I want it. Plus a network configuration interface from within KODI is a requirement. Many do not offer that. So that narrows it down for me.