Making it kid-friendly ?

• Hi together,

we got 4 Libreelec installations that all work over a shared database. a fifth player will be installed for my daughter now.
    Since i dont want that my 6 year old watches horror movies i want to categorize the movies.
    the first thoughtsteps were easy. create a new genre called "daughter" and add all the movies she can watch to that genre. so far so good, after doing that and editing the database a long time, i sadly recognize that i cant tell kodi that a user can only access a single genre.

The profile thing on kodi is working not so good if you use a shared database and a shared dropplace for images. the images will be downloaded for every user again so that i got at least 4-5 copies of every image. spacewasting.

anyone got an idea for a solution?

Regards
    Michael

• Kodi profiles need a major code overhaul and don't really work for this kind of use case. However, in my experience kids watch the same ~5 things over and over and over (and YouTube) so clever Kodi features like central watched status are utterly lost on them. I separate "kids" content at a source level, and manually scrape that one kids source to the new device while other devices use a MySQL config. The kids room has a hardware box that cannot be suspended etc. so I set an overnight cron job to update the library. As long as it gets some artwork kids think the GUI is amazing. They are kids so don't over-think the solution :)

• dear chewitt,

thanks so much for your reply.
    Uhh i dont think that will work for my purpose.
    surely i can manage it with the separating it in the source level, but in that case i have to move all kid-friendly content from the movie directory. that would take days for me with my database size.
    You are absolutly right..kids are mostly limited to their content they want to see.. but what will the future bring? Now Spongebob is cool.. i can seperate that.. but what is when she gets older and wants to watch movies? :)
    But thanks for your idea!

Edited once, last by ramses3 (April 1, 2017 at 2:17 PM).