Kodi Skin Not Saving Changes and Solutions

• Integrated with Xonfluence you have a setting to save changes....it's in skin settings,skin reset,reload-save settings..it's a known fact that kodi doesnt always read editing of xmls before a restart especially changes in sources,wakeonlan..advanced settings and so on...we live with them and dont bother me...

Ok. I tested the “Reload – Save settings and reload Xonfluence” button which can be found on the Skin Reset option under “Skin Settings – Skin Reset”. I changed a skin setting, used that button, and I used the Home button on the Firestick Remote (a hard exit). My settings were saved. That’s wonderful. Now allow me to explain a few things:

1. The Power button exit on the Xonfluence skin still has a bug that does not allow users to properly exit the Kodi program with the Firestick remote. In my solutions, I provided a method of adding an Exit option under System that will allow them to exit Kodi properly and it appears to save the skin settings as well.

2. A developer’s perspective on user friendliness is always different from a user’s perspective. Developer’s rarely care how user friendly the software is. They will often roll their eyes when confronted with a simple change that would make things a little easier or more obvious. It takes a while to gain the respect of software developers because they are smart people and they have no patience for stupidity.

3. When users navigate to the Skin Reset option, there is one thing that jumps out at you: A big red triangle with an exclamation mark in the center. Right under it, it states “Warning…” My point is that a new user or even the average user will navigate to the Skin Reset option and a big warning sign will jump in front of them and they would be concerned that all of their changes will be reset to default if they go anywhere near that option. The save option button at the top of the screen is overshadowed (hidden from sight almost) by the big warning sign. I know…it’s obvious to YOU that a save option is on that screen somewhere because you are clearly familiar with the Xonfluence skin but it will not be obvious to the average user or a new user. This is merely a user friendliness issue that developers sometimes don’t think about. Why have a button buried somewhere when the saving function can be “hard coded” to save your changes as soon as you exit the Skin Settings screen?

4. Your statement “It is a known fact that Kodi doesn’t read xml’s…” is nothing more than gibberish (like a foreign language) to the average user. The average user has no idea what an xml is, what it does, and most importantly…they don’t care. The average user wants a user friendly application that allows them to do stuff. That’s it.

In any event, thank you so much for the Save Settings button tip...again it was not obvious and (as you could see) it took a while before someone provided that answer.

Edited once, last by swaynetrain1 (March 21, 2017 at 12:07 PM).

• Now allow me to explain a few things:

1. The Power button exit on the Xonfluence skin still has a bug that does not allow users to properly exit the Kodi program with the Firestick remote.

How does the exit command on xonfluence differ from that used on other skins?

• How does the exit command on xonfluence differ from that used on other skins?

[hr]
    The Xonfluence skin Power button on the bottom left of the screen has 2 menu options: 1) Exit 2) Skin. The Exit option with the Firesick makes a noise but does not exit Kodi. Also, the menu Power options do not highlight the user selection with a solid color (green in my case) like other screens with the Firestick. This bug appears to be unique to the Firestick Android OS. I loaded the exact Kodi setup onto my phone and the Power menu options work fine. As far as your question is concerned, I have only worked with one other skin...Confluence. The Confluence skin Power menu has only one option:. Exit. The Confluence Exit works fine on the Firestick and on my Android phone as well. When I get home, I'll attach a pic of the Xonfluence Power menu options using the Firestick after Exit has been selected.

Edited once, last by swaynetrain1 (March 21, 2017 at 4:17 PM).

• [hr]
    The Xonfluence skin Power button on the bottom left of the screen has 2 menu options: 1) Exit 2) Skin. The Exit option with the Firesick makes a noise but does not exit Kodi. Also, the menu Power options do not highlight the user selection with a solid color (green in my case) like other screens with the Firestick. This bug appears to be unique to the Firestick Android OS. I loaded the exact Kodi setup onto my phone and the Power menu options work fine. As far as your question is concerned, I have only worked with one other skin...Confluence. The Confluence skin Power menu has only one option:. Exit. The Confluence Exit works fine on the Firestick and on my Android phone as well.

So we've established that there isn't an issue on your android phone.
    There is an issue on your firestick. But you've no idea what's causing it.
    Have you used xonfluence on libreelec?

Edited once, last by trogggy (March 21, 2017 at 4:11 PM).

• So we've established that there isn't an issue on your android phone.
    There is an issue on your firestick. But you've no idea what's causing it.
    Have you used xonfluence on libreelec?

No sir. I have not. I'm not sure if the libreelec OS is compatible with any of the devices I have used so far. I actually just deduced the Xonfluence Power option is a Firestick Android OS issue last night when I loaded it on my phone.

• Well in the Kodi world I bet every single person that have been using kodi for more then a month knows what editing xml is...so make sure you have notepad++ handy as you r gonna need it...Regarding buried settings it's not only a skin issue...they are all around kodi and even after 5 years I m still looking for simple settings around kodi....some don't even exist and that's when you need to create them yourself by editing xml...
    Have a look here regarding xonfluence...it's a good skin tough still few bugs with krypton Xonfluence (Jarvis v16.x & Krypton v17.x)
    [hr]

No sir. I have not. I'm not sure if the libreelec OS is compatible with any of the devices I have used so far. I actually just deduced the Xonfluence Power option is a Firestick Android OS issue last night when I loaded it on my phone.

If you have a usb stick you can try it on your Pc

Edited once, last by Mario77 (March 21, 2017 at 4:44 PM).

• No sir. I have not. I'm not sure if the libreelec OS is compatible with any of the devices I have used so far. I actually just deduced the Xonfluence Power option is a Firestick Android OS issue last night when I loaded it on my phone.

Posting here about it makes no sense then - this is a libreelec specific forum, so generic 'kodi' problems are best referred to and addressed at the main kodi forum.
    If you look there in the skin support > confluence section you'll find a thread dedicated to xonfluence, where Helly (the author) will respond to genuine issues. So if there is one the opportunity is there to fix it, rather than apply a sticking plaster.
    Normally you'd be best served by reproducing the problem with debug logging enabled, pasting your log to eg pastebin.com and referencing that in your post. That way it can be seen whether there is genuinely a skin issue.
    Having said that I searched the thread and only found one post from 12 months ago that seemed relevant - which suggests it's most likely not a Xonfluence issue.
    To quote Helly:

This is probably not a skin issue. As I told before, a skin is only a cosmetic layer over the Kodi engine. I can make a button, but (for most of the buttons) I'm not responsible of what is executed when pressing that particular button.

So if you (and a lot of other people) encounter problems, here is what to do:
    * Check your logfile. Is the error skin.xonfluence related then I'm interested. You can send me the logfile and I can have a look.
    * Try the same thing with the default Confluence skin. Does this also happen on Confluence, than it is certainly not a skin issue and you need to post this issue then in a different forum.

Maybe it's a new issue that's appeared in the Jarvis version of Xonfluence. It's not impossible.
    Either way this isn't the right place to get something useful done.

• [hr]

Well in the Kodi world I bet every single person that have been using kodi for more then a month knows what editing xml is...so make sure you have notepad++ handy as you r gonna need it...Regarding buried settings it's not only a skin issue...they are all around kodi and even after 5 years I m still looking for simple settings around kodi....some don't even exist and that's when you need to create them yourself by editing xml...
    Have a look here regarding xonfluence...it's a good skin tough still few bugs with krypton Xonfluence (Jarvis v16.x & Krypton v17.x)
    [hr]

If you have a usb stick you can try it on your Pc

I have a USB stick and I'd certainly be willing to try using libreelec with the intention of running Kodi on it. I will look into it.

Edited once, last by swaynetrain1 (March 21, 2017 at 11:11 PM).