LE8 on WeTeK OpenELEC: Freeze because of memory leak?

• Hi,

last week I installed the new LibreELEC 8.0.0 release on one of my WeTeK OpenELEC boxes.

To narrow things down and to be sure I wiped the complete box and the *only* plugin I installed is the "Tvheadend HTSP client 3.4.18.1".

The Tvheadend server is *not* running on the box, but I'm streaming from a Tvheadend server on a RPi in the network.

After several hours, it seems that Kodi is using up all the memory and the box either locks up or suffers from severe swapping with a load going up to 18 and above.

To reproduce, one just has to boot up the box (using the default skin), start LiveTV and wait for some hours. No switching/GUI usage required to crash the system.

Attached see two "top" screenshots - one with severe swapping and one with a died box - as well as a "journalctl -f" trace of a died box.

I will add more logs if required/later.

TIA,
    Sepp

• Hi,

so I *tried* to make a more decent set of logs.

Problem is, that when things finally go wrong, things a quite screwed up and one can't just use the samba logfile feature.

So here is what I did:
    1) Rebooted
    2) Switched on LiveTV
    3) opened one SSH terminal with "journalctl -f"
    4) opened second SSH for "top" and later control
    5) waited for things to screw up
    6) when system was finally total stuck, I used the second terminal to kill kodi with "killall -9 kodi.bin". This took about 5 minutes just to accept the keystrokes.
    7) Tried to create the logfiles, but they were to big to be processed on the available "disk space"
    8) copied away "kodi.old.log" (nearly 1 GB!) and deleted it
    9) executed "createlog"
    10) found out, that in the created ZIP file also data from journalctl was lost.

So here is what you get now:
    - a full logfile ZIP-ball created after things screwed up and KODI was manually killed, with "kodi.old.log" missing and crippled journalctl data
    - a separate zip-file with "kodi.old.log" -> ZIPPED 70 MB, TOO BIG TO UPLOAD
    - a separate zip-file with the trace of "journalctl -f" followed on a remote ssh terminal

If you need more, please tell me.

Sepp

EDIT: Ok, I uploaded the big "kodi.old.log" to a one-click-hoster. Please find the file here:

kodi.old.log.zip | Uloz.to

• Hello,

did some more investigations and wrote a script to log the memory usage of the "kodi.bin" process.

I did two runs now, and interesting enough, memory usage is always constant for a long time. But then, always after 400 minutes, memory usage starts to increase over some minutes until all memory is used up.

Test procedure was: Reboot -> start monitoring script -> go to live TV -> watch first channel in fullscreen -> don't touch anymore

Attached you find the results. One plot over the full time and one detailed plot for the "crawl up time" for each run.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
    Sepp

• I have the same issue with LibreELEC 8.0.0 on the Wetek Core. After a while the GUI is extremely slow and mosthly a SSH reboot is the only option.

LibreELEC devs, I see several threads related to this topic, does it make sense to still share bug reports or is there enough information for you to investigate?

chears

• Any news?

On my side I did some more tests:

First I installed the TVHeadend server add-on on the WeTek and changed the configuration of the TVHeadend client, so that I see the local TV stream and not the one of the remote server.
    Result: Same thing. Approx. 400 minutes everything works well, and then memory usage goes up until everything is too late.

Then I installed the YouTube plugin and started a video 10 hours long (Cantina Band: Play that same song! :D ).
    Result: Kodi again freezes, but this time without memory usage increasing! The freeze also _seems_ to take place after approx. 400 minutes. Unfortunately, again all useful logs were lost due to the powercycle and/or the freeze. I will try to reproduce and somehow produce useful logs.

Any ideas? Any advice?

Cheers,
    Sepp

• codesnake: Good!

As promised, I tried to produce useful logs. Doing so, I realized that the freeze always seems to occure around the overflow of dts_in/pts_in in CAMLCodec:: Decode. There is this 32 signed int value, and when it exceeds 0x7FFFFFFF things go wrong.

Here the log for watching PVR with tvheadend client when the memory increase happens:

And here with the YouTube plugin:

I've also seen that the code in AMLCodec.cpp which should handle this overflow gracefully was changed between Jarvis and Krypton.

Maybe it's here to search?