Fresh install on Pi2 and unable to install add-ons

• Hello,
    Just did a fresh install of LibreElec Jarvis on my Pi2. I am unable to install any add-ons. I tried to install the skin Aeon Nox but that fails on a prerequisite (white studio icons). Did an install from a zip-file and that succeeded but Aeon Nox still fails. Did a fresh install multiple times, re-downloaded the image, etc. Nothing helps. Took a look at the storage setup and it looks a bit strange to me considering everything is on a 16 GB SD card:

LibreELEC (official) Version: 7.0.1
    Pi2:~ # df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
    devtmpfs 363.4M 0 363.4M 0% /dev
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 511.7M 123.7M 388.0M 24% /flash
    /dev/mmcblk0p2 27.0M 26.3M 0 100% /storage
    /dev/loop0 113.9M 113.9M 0 100% /
    tmpfs 368.5M 0 368.5M 0% /dev/shm
    tmpfs 368.5M 5.3M 363.2M 1% /run
    tmpfs 368.5M 0 368.5M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    tmpfs 368.5M 376.0K 368.1M 0% /var
    tmpfs 368.5M 0 368.5M 0% /tmp
    Pi2:~ #

The /dev/mmcblkop2 is almost full and I expect that one to use all the storage available on the SD card.. Not sure if this is related but you never know .
    Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. I also tried it with OpenELEC (I know, I know) but that has the same issue with add-ons (storage wise is is the same as with the LibeElec Jarvis situation shown above).

Edited once, last by McRam (June 13, 2016 at 3:37 PM).

• Seems your storage partition didn't get resized, how did you do the install?

Hello,
    I used both Rufus and Win32 Imager to write the LibreELEC Pi2 image to my SD card. Then booted the Pi2 with the SD, etc. Install went smoothly. I also saw that the resize partition action took quite some time. Tried the touch trick as well (I know we are not supposed to use it, and it did not work).
    Kind regards,
    McRam

• I have done 5 complete installations. All with the same result as mentioned above.

I had a similar situation, what helped was a hard reset on LV, after that everything was smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I had a similar situation, what helped was a hard reset on LV, after that everything was smooth.

Do you mean hard reset by disconnecting the power? Done that loads of times as well to no avail. Not sure if the problem is caused by the storage being almost full or something else though.

• Do you mean hard reset by disconnecting the power? Done that loads of times as well to no avail. Not sure if the problem is caused by the storage being almost full or something else though.

I mean hard reset via the LibreElec setting menu

• P.S. I also tried it with OpenELEC (I know, I know) but that has the same issue with add-ons (storage wise is is the same as with the LibeElec Jarvis situation shown above).

So you say you've got a 16GB SD card, but neither OE or LE will expand the ext4 partition? Have you ever managed to install any release on to this SD card which has then gone on to use all the available 15-16GB of space?

Since OE is also failing to resize the partition my suspicion would be that the SD card has failed, or the SD card is a fake and isn't really 16GB - see this article and consider testing the SD card with a tool such as h2testw on Windows.

Not sure if the problem is caused by the storage being almost full or something else though.

That's definitely the reason why you can't install any add-on, the question though is why you don't have the space... after a fresh install from disk image LE (and OE) will automatically resize the ext4 partition to use ALL available space which should in your case be slightly over 15GB. This is a relatively straight forward process and if this isn't working then there's possibly something wrong with the SD card...

• So you say you've got a 16GB SD card, but neither OE or LE will expand the ext4 partition? Have you ever managed to install any release on to this SD card which has then gone on to use all the available 15-16GB of space?

Since OE is also failing to resize the partition my suspicion would be that the SD card has failed, or the SD card is a fake and isn't really 16GB - see this article and consider testing the SD card with a tool such as h2testw on Windows.

That's definitely the reason why you can't install any add-on, the question though is why you don't have the space... after a fresh install from disk image LE (and OE) will automatically resize the ext4 partition to use ALL available space which should in your case be slightly over 15GB. This is a relatively straight forward process and if this isn't working then there's possibly something wrong with the SD card...

The SD card has worked fine in a Nintendo DS. I just tested the SD card with fakeflashtest and in Windows for bad blocks and it is just fine. Also retested with another 16GB SD card (also Kingston) and I get the same issues. What I forgot to mention is that after the initial resizing and the reboot a file system corruption is reported and LE tries to fix this. I get this with both cards (so starting to think the resizing is not done 100% correctly). I also used both Rufus and Win32 Disk Imager on both SD cards but the results are the same. Also used 2 card readers but same result. I am stumped and a little unhappy. Wanna use my Pi2 with LE...

Edited once, last by McRam (June 14, 2016 at 1:28 PM).

• How are you powering the RPi2? Can you try a different power supply?

I am using the official power supply (BX-502000 output 2A). Also tried a Samsung power supply from a tablet (output 3.5A). Same problems .

Decided to try something else: installed Raspbian using same SD card. Setup and everything was flawless. No errors/warnings at all and df -h showed the entire SD card being used.

So I am starting to suspect LE has some issue with 16GB SD cards (or Kingston in particular) since Raspbian has no issues at all with it. Unfortunately I do not have any smaller sized SD cards to test with. Just 16GB's.

Edited once, last by McRam (June 14, 2016 at 2:41 PM).

• So I am starting to suspect LE has some issue with 16GB SD cards (or Kingston in particular) since Raspbian has no issues at all with it. Unfortunately I do not have any smaller sized SD cards to test with. Just 16GB's.

Just to be clear, you have the same problem with OE? This question isn't about scoring points, it's just that the image creation/first boot process has diverged somewhat between OE and LE and if you have this same failure-to-resize problem with OE then it's unlikely to be caused by any LE changes...still not sure what could be causing this (all my available SD cards top out at 8GB).

• Tested again with OE as well (both current and beta version). They both give me the same issue. Used multiple SD cards, multiple SD readers on multiple computers. Still the same result. It actually looks like the /dev/mmcblk0p2 is being resized. It says so on screen and takes quite a long time to finish, but immediately after it has finished the resize and performs the reboot I get the file corruption message (same as with LE). I assume it fixes the corruption somehow but in some way reverts /dev/mmcblk0p2 back into its original size or something like that???

Edited once, last by McRam (June 17, 2016 at 9:59 AM).

• The resize is normally very quick - for an 8GB SD it's only a few seconds, I haven't timed it but I'd say it's less than 10 seconds. I wouldn't expect it to take much longer with a 16GB SD so if it's taking "quite a long time" (can you time it?) then perhaps it's experiencing errors and failing to do anything at all...

One thing to try would be writing the image to SD card, adding "dtoverlay=mmc" to config.txt, and then booting the new image to see if the resize succeeds while using this older mmc driver.
    [hr]
    Also, can you run "dmesg | paste" after you've booted into LE, and paste the link.

Edited once, last by milhouse (June 17, 2016 at 11:14 AM).

• The resize is normally very quick - for an 8GB SD it's only a few seconds, I haven't timed it but I'd say it's less than 10 seconds. I wouldn't expect it to take much longer with a 16GB SD so if it's taking "quite a long time" (can you time it?) then perhaps it's experiencing errors and failing to do anything at all...

One thing to try would be writing the image to SD card, adding "dtoverlay=mmc" to config.txt, and then booting the new image to see if the resize succeeds while using this older mmc driver.
    [hr]
    Also, can you run "dmesg | paste" after you've booted into LE, and paste the link.

Progress!!! It works now. Am able to install add ons, etc. Storage is now fully available:

Pi2:~ # df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
    devtmpfs 363.4M 0 363.4M 0% /dev
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 511.7M 123.7M 388.0M 24% /flash
    /dev/mmcblk0p2 13.9G 60.7M 13.9G 0% /storage
    /dev/loop0 113.9M 113.9M 0 100% /
    tmpfs 368.5M 0 368.5M 0% /dev/shm
    tmpfs 368.5M 5.3M 363.2M 1% /run
    tmpfs 368.5M 0 368.5M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    tmpfs 368.5M 236.0K 368.3M 0% /var
    tmpfs 368.5M 0 368.5M 0% /tmp

Link for the requested info is: TbJX

Milhouse obviously the driver seems to be the issue. But what is wrong exactly? Are my SD cards too old for the regular/newer driver? Thanks a lot for your help so far. Much appreciated!!!

• Is that dmesg with the dtoverlay=mmc or without? It would be good if you could upload the dmesg after booting without dtoverlay=mmc, ie. while using the default sdhost driver.

• Is that dmesg with the dtoverlay=mmc or without? It would be good if you could upload the dmesg after booting without dtoverlay=mmc, ie. while using the default sdhost driver.

The first one was with the legacy driver (mmc).

The info with the current driver is on: ZbTD

If you need anything else please let me know.

Edited once, last by McRam (June 17, 2016 at 4:01 PM).