Mini Tut - startup animation - workaround for dark GUI on non HDR TVs

• Disclaimer: None of this is my original idea, it is all pieced together from this forum, kodi forum and kodinerds. Still, I had to piece it together so I decided to make a mini tutorial for those that want to do this as well.
    Also, names, directories, etc are up to you, but make sure to be consistent.
    Finally, of course I assume no liability, shit can always break.

Motivation: On S905x devices connected to non-HDR TVs, the GUI is too dark (HDMI output starts in HDR mode?) up until you play a video for the first time. So making Kodi play a video before you even see the GUI is the perfect workaround. Also, startup animations are cool if they're not too long.

Step 0: SSH to your box

Step 1 - copy the default skin and make the copy usable
    This step is only necessary if you use the default skin. As we have the useful "reboot from internal" command baked into that I will assume that you use this, just as I did. I will further assume that we are on Krypton betas. Of course you can name the copy anything you like, just make sure to be consistent. If you use Jarvis substitute "estuary" for "confluence". If you use another skin, skip Step 1 and substitute its name in the later steps. you get the idea.

Copy the skin's folder to writable space:

Code
    cp -r /usr/share/kodi/addons/skin.estuary /storage/.kodi/addons/skin.estuary.withintro

Edit the addon.xml of the copy to distinguish it from the original:

Code
    nano /storage/.kodi/addons/skin.estuary.withintro/addon.xml

Right in the first line you find " addon id="skin.estuary" ", change this to addon id="skin.estuary.withintro". further on you find " name="Estuary" " change this to "Estuary with Intro" (or anything you like).
    Press CTRL-X, Press Y followed by Enter to save the changes.

Bonus: copy your previous skin settings:

Code
    cp -r ~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/skin.estuary/ ~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/skin.estuary.withintro/

Now we have to enable the copied skin. First we have to restart Kodi to make it aware of the copy:

Code
    systemctl restart kodi

Then in the GUI enter addons - my addons - look and feel - skins. There you should find the copy with the name entered above with an X next to it. select it and choose "enable", select use and confirm. you are now using the copy.

Step 2 - copy your intro video

Choose a file you want as your intro. You can use one of the awesome contributions in this thread on the kodi forum or anything you like. Bonus points for making your own.
    Rename it to "intro.mp4", depending on the file the extension should be something else.
    Connect to your box via SMB. open the "videos" folder. copy the "intro.mp4" file to this folder.

Step 3 - tell your skin to show the intro when starting up

Edit Home.xml:

Code
    nano ~/.kodi/addons/skin.estuary.withintro/xml/Home.xml

right at the beginning of the file you will find " <defaultcontrol>9000</defaultcontrol> "
    directly after it (advisably in a new line for readablity) add:

Code
    <onload condition="Window.Previous(startup)">PlayMedia(/storage/videos/intro.mp4)</onload>

Adapt according to your filetype (or differently named file more generally).

Step 4 - see it work

Code
    systemctl restart kodi

Kodi should startup with your video before presenting the home screen.

Step 5 - bonus
    If you like you can disable Kodi's splash screen, as you now have a cool video anyway.

Code
    nano ~/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

type out

Code
    <advancedsettings>
    <splash>false</splash>
    </advancedsettings>

If you already had an advancedsettings.xml, of course you only have to add the splash line.

Of course you can use other methods to copy the files and edit the xmls. I just think that ssh/nano is fastest.

Alternative: install Partymode Autostart addon, select a video, edit the settings to your liking. This is definitely easier and I also did this at first, but it doesn't start quite at startup so it's not as elegant as I'd like.

Have fun and maybe rate me if this helped you.

Edited once, last by juramusger (January 22, 2017 at 10:16 AM).

• Doesn't seem to work in Confluence on Kodi 16, but it is working great in Kodi 17 w/Estuary. Thanks for the solid tutorial!

If you can edit the title to the post, it would be good to include something along the lines of "dark s905x HDR startup workaround" in there. Would probably get more eyeballs on it, and be easier to find in searches if/once it falls off the main page.

Edit: Confirmed working in Kodi 16. Likely a typo on my part in the addon.xml portion.

Edited once, last by glitch (January 22, 2017 at 11:39 AM).

• Doesn't seem to work in Confluence on Kodi 16, but it is working great in Kodi 17 w/Estuary. Thanks for the solid tutorial!

If you can edit the title to the post, it would be good to include something along the lines of "dark s905x HDR startup workaround" in there. Would probably get more eyeballs on it, and be easier to find in searches if/once it falls off the main page.

It works in confluence on Kodi 16. I can confirm. Good Job!!!!!

Edited once, last by TNS (January 22, 2017 at 9:46 AM).

hmm, it should work with confluence, can you tell me which part doesn't? can you create the copy of the skin and enable it?
    edited the title for easier finding.
    [hr]

What is the difference with this, compared to setting a startup video?

Like in MQ7 or Aeon Nox? I don't think all skins have a startup video.

exactly, the difference is it works with all skins, even those that don't have the option to set a startup video. like the new default skin that I kinda like.

Edited once, last by juramusger (January 22, 2017 at 10:16 AM).

• hmm, it should work with confluence, can you tell me which part doesn't? can you create the copy of the skin and enable it?
    edited the title for easier finding.

Hmmm... Let me give it another crack. The copying and enabling the copy worked fine, and I was even able to edit the resulting files to point to the video, but the video would never play on startup. Even tried multiple file locations. Once I updated to 7.90.beta3 and did the same thing in Estuary, all worked.

I'll be back...

Update: Yup, it's working. My best guess is I probably had a typo when I edited /storage/.kodi/addons/skin.confluence.withintro/addon.xml that caused it not to match up with the copy directory name. I double, triple, and quadruple checked the home.xml file originally, but since the copy was showing up in my skins I never thought to recheck the addon.xml edits before giving up and updating to Krypton.

This is why I shouldn't be tweaking Kodi @ 4AM

Edited once, last by glitch (January 22, 2017 at 11:41 AM).

• Hmmm... Let me give it another crack. The copying and enabling the copy worked fine, and I was even able to edit the resulting files to point to the video, but the video would never play on startup. Even tried multiple file locations. Once I updated to 7.90.beta3 and did the same thing in Estuary, all worked.

I'll be back...

Update: Yup, it's working. My best guess is I probably had a typo when I edited /storage/.kodi/addons/skin.confluence.withintro/addon.xml that caused it not to match up with the copy directory name. I double, triple, and quadruple checked the home.xml file originally, but since the copy was showing up in my skins I never thought to recheck the addon.xml edits before giving up and updating to Krypton.

This is why I shouldn't be tweaking Kodi @ 4AM

Glad it works now !