Nvidia Binaries for kepler chipset

• Hi All

OK might have tracked down my problem with xserver failing on a previously working install of latest libreelec alpha, looks like it could be nvidia binary driver.

So how can I install the compatible driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-375.26 which supports my GT710.

Anyone have any ideas?

Andy :huh:

• I just got a gt710 and the latest alpha is using that driver. What issues are you having with it?

Ok, this was a working system no problems, with GT610 with alpha 10 libreelec, had a power surge which was enought to reset microwave clock, and the HTPC was in suspend from previous night, needles to say it would not resume as MB BIOS, set to restart in power off. MB was ok, memory no issues, cpu ok, hdd ok, vga possible fail replaced with GT710.

BTW Using Onkyo HT-R390 5.1 and Hisense 50"M3300 4K UHD TV.

So powered on, got to the icy splash screen for the alpha, then text at to left as normal just before the 10 second network pause, then nothing, saw a message flash by xorg server start, failure and then nothing but a black screen. So thought damn vid card dead, so swapped for the GT710 I had, and thought may aswell do a scratch install.

Booted to usb for the image installer ran through with no sign of an issue, install ok to 60gb lappy hd, then usual remove boot media and reboot, which I did.

Boot started Icy alpha splash screen appeared, thought good, then text befor the pause, and NOTHING, waited a while then got the xorg start failure again, back to black screen then a message from tv appeared "HDMI1 3840x2160p@13hz", then back to black screen, and a split second I also saw a jeos message mentioning about an issue with FLUXBOX? Dependancy i think.

Last night I installed debian jessie, which reported a neuveaux issue with the VGA which was rectified by running nvidia-detect then nvidia-driver, which installed all the needed non-free and backports for the card, as the kernel was 3.16, now debian see the card and isnt complaining.

So I'm at a loss as to why, libreelec won't play ball now, when it was just a few days ago?

Any ideas welcom, as not been able to ssh into the box yet.

ANDY.

Edited once, last by Yogensha (January 14, 2017 at 1:53 PM).

• Did you try LibreELEC 7.0.3, i think it includes "352.79" which is compatible with the GT710, i would start there.

Tried 7.0.2 and tha was a no go, I think I tried 7.0.3 after it, again with same result, but will try once more just incase. Will clear partitions with pmagic first before running installer. will report back when tried.

THNX
    Andy

• Tried 7.0.2 and tha was a no go, I think I tried 7.0.3 after it, again with same result, but will try once more just incase. Will clear partitions with pmagic first before running installer. will report back when tried.

THNX
    Andy

Hi All,

Have come across some interesting things, as far as i can break it down there are at least 3 issues at work here, 1 - TV, 2 - the AV Receiver, 3 - Libreelec's quirky handling of 1 and 2.

1 - TV is Hisense UHD 4K 50"M3300 All resolutions upto 3840X2160p,1920X1080p etc

2 - Onkyo receiver R390 Max resolution processing and passthru of video to 1920X1080p ONLY NO UHD. This is why I need libreelec to output at 1080p NOT 2160p.

3 - Libreelec handling of TV and AVR, OK my original thoughts were not far of the mark, in that wanting a manual overide on the install resolution of libreelec.

This is what I found, with libre connected directly to TV HDMI it installed 7.0.3 then ugpraded to To alpha build of kodi 17, both worked at 2160p though a bit sluggish probable as cpu is only Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q6600, 4gb memory, you may think wow problem solved, wrong. Leaving it meas no 5.1 sound!!! Hell No.

So goes to KODI screen settings for resolution and look whats there, good all resolutions that tv can handle are there so lets set 1920x1080p, click the setting and WHAT THE HECK IS THIS.

This seems to point to the jeos xorg subsystem, settings as this is definitely NOT how 1920x1080p should be output to your tv.

As for installing libreelec with onkyo connected, as the onkyo cannot handle anything above 1920x1080p hense no image appears after install is done and machine reboot, why? here is why as far as libreelec and its installer is concered the onkyo avr is invisible, all libre sees is the EDID information from the TV, and assumes MUST run at maximum resolution of tv which is 3840x2160p, and as you cannot manually override it at install heyho here is the problem I've had.

But also it has show another possible issue, in that of handling lower resolutions an larger panels. Peolpe may say just update your AVR, I say not possible yet. So need a work round.

DEVS or anyone can you help. If no solution will have to try an install of ubuntu desktop and kodi works if not might have to go back to windows 7 bloat!

many thanks, if it helps, managed to get all logs and dmesg.txt of the machine, at differen stages, cant forward/upload as needed.

regards
    ANdy

Edited once, last by Yogensha (January 19, 2017 at 2:38 PM).

• Last week i installed LibreELEC ALPHA on a old 3810TZ laptop(1.30 GHZ single core)with the only upgrade being installing an SSD, and even that could run LibreELEC at 1080p without the menu being sluggish.
    Why don't you try to see if you can resolve the 5.1 sound problem first.
    Another weird thing about your screenshot is that it looks like it's in 3D picture mode.
    Do it work if you have your computer plugged directly to the TV and having the receiver in passthrough.

Edited once, last by vitorp07 (January 15, 2017 at 6:12 PM).

• Last week i installed LibreELEC ALPHA on a old 3810TZ laptop(1.30 GHZ single core)with the only upgrade being installing an SSD, and even that could run LibreELEC at 1080p without the menu being sluggish.
    Why don't you try to see if you can resolve the 5.1 sound problem first.
    Another weird thing about your screenshot is that it looks like it's in 3D picture mode.
    Do it work if you have your computer plugged directly to the TV and having the receiver in passthrough.

As mentioned in post, when htpc - receiver- tv setup NO display either in pasthrough mode or active as receiver can only pass through max 1920 x 1080p. (limitation of circuitry)

Onkyo r390 processes audio by extracting it from HDMI input so if you bypass and receiver and plug directly into tv you loose 5.1 sound as audio goes through tv.

I belive window managee used to display kodi gui is fluxbox, was you lappy outputtinf to 4k uhd tv or its own screen.

the screen shot is not in 3d mode see this link for what you can see which is 4 x 1080p images tiled as linux use xrandr to handle resizing:-Tiled representation of 4k display

• As mentioned in post, when htpc - receiver- tv setup NO display either in pasthrough mode or active as receiver can only pass through max 1920 x 1080p. (limitation of circuitry)

Onkyo r390 processes audio by extracting it from HDMI input so if you bypass and receiver and plug directly into tv you loose 5.1 sound as audio goes through tv.

I belive window managee used to display kodi gui is fluxbox, was you lappy outputtinf to 4k uhd tv or its own screen.

the screen shot is not in 3d mode see this link for what you can see which is 4 x 1080p images tiled as linux use xrandr to handle resizing:-Tiled representation of 4k display

I didn't ask you if "htpc - receiver- tv" was working i asked you if "htpc - tv, htpc -receiver(second hdmi or optical wire like i use passthrough)" was working

Edited once, last by vitorp07 (January 15, 2017 at 9:09 PM).

• I didn't ask you if "htpc - receiver- tv" was working i asked you if "htpc - tv, htpc -receiver(second hdmi or optical wire like i use passthrough)" was working

Did mention in previous post that had tried direct link to tv from htpc and it works, but the the dedicated or alternate hdmi/optical for audio are in use by an upscaling BD Player and XBOX one, didn't mention these as they are not available to use.

I still believe it an issue with settings of the x86_64bit install, as just I tested an install of the alpha10 on a borrowed Raspberry PI 3, and 1080p works.

Edited once, last by Yogensha (January 15, 2017 at 9:43 PM).

• You can specify a resolution in kodi so that it stays at 1080p.

Settings -> system -> display

Otherwise please ssh and post the output of the following command and we can put something together

Code
    xrandr | pastebinit

Edited once, last by lrusak (January 15, 2017 at 10:51 PM).

• You can specify a resolution in kodi so that it stays at 1080p.

Settings -> system -> display

Otherwise please ssh and post the output of the following command and we can put something together

Code
    xrandr | pastebinit

Hi Irusak,

As you read I got libreelec to boot, with direct link to tv, (but need to go through the receiver), I was able to set the screen resolution to 1080p but that resulted in the purple screenshot I posted in preious post.

Will fire it up again later, and ssh into the box pastbin the result.

Also i found this going through the kodi logs don't know if it has any bearing on the issue :_

regards
    Andy

• Hi Irusak,

As you read I got libreelec to boot, with direct link to tv, (but need to go through the receiver), I was able to set the screen resolution to 1080p but that resulted in the purple screenshot I posted in preious post.

Will fire it up again later, and ssh into the box pastbin the result.

Also i found this going through the kodi logs don't know if it has any bearing on the issue :_

regards
    Andy

Hi Irusak,

Odities continue, reconnectd htpc direct to TV and changed to 1920x1080p, this time screen is completely magenta??? here pastbin for xrandr, showing modechange

IWdY

This one did a grep of xorg log, for nvidia

IhSP
    [hr]

Hi Irusak,

Odities continue, reconnectd htpc direct to TV and changed to 1920x1080p, this time screen is completely magenta??? here pastbin for xrandr, showing modechange

IWdY

This one did a grep of xorg log, for nvidia

IhSP

Hi again,

Things are getting weirder, while is was in ssh i did a reboot, and machine came back but with screen as my image above, so I decided to change the refreshrate to see if it made a diffrence, and when I hit 30hz, the gui came up at 1920x1080@30hz, great I thought, but it was short lived, played back several file and video was shooting by as though in fastforward but audio was normal.

All this when connected directly to TV.

Disconnected HDMI and wen back to through the receiver, booted machine and you guessed it NO videe/gui nothing just a message from libre XORG.SERVER failed to start!

Thought I would se if tv could detect CEC so told it to scan for active cec devices, Didn't find the htpc on tv hdmi 4, only devices on hdmi 1.

So just formatted a flash drive and going to have a bash at Ubuntu 16.10 desktop, to see what happens with the video.

regards
    Andy

Edited once, last by Yogensha (January 17, 2017 at 12:41 AM).

• Hi Irusak,

I was sat thinking this morning, and of all the things I have tried there is one I have not, and that is to power on the HTPC without the TV or the receiver powered up.

I have just done this and waited for a while to make sure it is up and running, then I powered on the TV followed by the receiver, swithching to VCR/DVR hdmi input, and there was libreelec in all its glory behaving as it should.

So i ssh'd into the htpc and did xrandr | pastebinit Here is the result Suprised me, i is outputting at 1920x1080p however look and the refresh rate it is not what I was execting 148.500 MHz.

So with this piece of information, can we deduce that when powering up the HTPC when the components are on Receiver and TV, the Libreelec boot process (xorg start process active then fails) isn't getting correct information or using wrong information, is this a detection routine for CEC, EDID, MODDPROBE at JEOS Linux level?

But if booted without components turned on, it boots with no problem, but leaves kodi unable to alter the refresh rate in the screen settings. as this is just what has happened 4 times in a row.

And just had 4 failures to boot in a row with tv+receiver turned on!

So who do we ask about how JEOS deals with the xorg+DFP+GPU and what it detects during boot and how to deal with it?

many thanks in advance
    Andy

• [hr]
    Well, seems I may have got to the bottom of it, just need to create a custom xorg.conf, as libreelec is defaulting to a generic profile, that profile has the dot clock set as 340mhz, my tv has max of 300mhz.

After running xrandr to view settings when htpc power up before and after tv/receiver, and comparing to a dump of the edid information directly from tv using 3rd party edid reader, I have found that the information xrandr is returning does not fully match the actual edid information of the tv.

Hisense have confimed that the information in the edid dump is correct, So will be making custom xorg.conf, with modelines to match tv modes, rather that rely of xorg.

Edited once, last by Yogensha (January 19, 2017 at 2:45 PM).