LE v7.90.010 / C2 / Some mpegs freeze on first frame

• Hello,

I am running LE v7.90.010 on an Odroid C2.

Problem: Some recordings from MythTV freeze on first frame. Audio plays for a few moments and then stops. This occurs if using PVR Add-on or playing from a Video repository. The same video works from MythTV, VLC (on another linux computer) and Kodi running on my Android phone. It also works from Kodi 17 beta 6 on a Fedora laptop.

The ones that fail on the C2 are all from the same cable TV channel. None of the recordings from other channels appear to have the problem.

kodi.log showing a video that plays successfully and then one that fails: ffIL

mediainfo for one that works: bffP
    mediainfo for one that fails: MjTV

One difference is the failed one has this:

Active Format Description : Full frame 16:9 image

Any ideas what the issue is or how to investigate further?

Thanks,

John

Edited once, last by john3492 (January 7, 2017 at 2:27 PM).

• Additional information:

- When I set Accelerate MPEG2 to Never the video plays every time.
    - With MPEG2 acceleration Always the video plays once after a reboot. It will not play again (freezes on first frame with a few seconds of sound).

John

• Additional information:

- When I set Accelerate MPEG2 to Never the video plays every time.
    - With MPEG2 acceleration Always the video plays once after a reboot. It will not play again (freezes on first frame with a few seconds of sound).

John

I had the same issue with the LibreELEC alphas. Have a look at the images available in this thread on the odroid forums:

ODROID Forum • View topic - LibreELEC Krypton/Leia/Agile 64bit kernel 32bit libs

I'm running beta1e and plan to update to beta1f this evening. Watching live and recorded TV MPEG2 1080i60 is working for me now. This is thanks to some patches submitted by @peak3d and raybuntu putting together some test images. The (sort of) downside is that the test images have 32bit libraries so you'll need to follow the instructions about creating the .nocompat file and you may end up having to reinstall any addons to get 32bit versions of them. Getting non-frozen MPEG2 playback was worth it for me.

• Thanks for the information. It sounds like issue is something not specific to my setup and will consider what you did to address it at some point.

John

It's a known issue. I believe the patches from @peak3d will work themselves into one of the official LE alpha or beta releases at some point in the near future. If you want to try the fixes right away, you could use the built-in backup to backup your existing aarch64 install. You could then try the 32bit arm releases from Raybuntu and when the patches are eventually available for aarch64 you could re-image the emmc/sd card and the restore the backup.