WT Play 2: NAND and SD - alpha 10: network disconnecting during playback (Solved)

• lrusak  chewitt  codesnake before I start testing and maybe do a PR, any reason for the outdated driver ? just want to be sure i'm not missing anything :)

Ask amlogic. The kernel is supplied by Amlogic and they screwed up big time many things. You can go ahead and try to backport a recent version. Just make sure to use git and keep the git history. cherry-pick might help.

Good luck.

Edited once, last by GDPR-1 (January 14, 2017 at 12:43 PM).

• Ask amlogic. The kernel is supplied by Amlogic and they screwed up big time many things. You can go ahead and try to backport a recent version. Just make sure to use git and keep the git history. cherry-pick might help.

Good luck.

Thanks, i'll have a go, and yeah that kernel looks a bit "patchy" i'll try and update parts.

btw for others:
    I'm still compiling test builds for the WeTek Play 2, if people like to try (dont blame me if stuff breaks)
    I will rename a file if its patched by me, if not, they are straight compiles from github master.

LibreELEC WeTek Play 2 test builds

Edited once, last by Jester (January 14, 2017 at 1:14 PM).

• I'm using only my 32bit builds for WP2 and I never had network dropping or outage. I did some iperf experiments a while ago and I'm using Gigabit without any issues.

• GDPR-1

So i'm trying to compile with the updated driver in the kernel, however it isnt compiling...

only change I made was change package.mk to point to my github instead of the libreelec one for linux-amlogic
    PKG_VERSION="e2670ec"
    PKG_URL="https://github.com/jester-xbmc/linux-amlogic/archive/$PKG_VERSION.tar.gz"
    PKG_SOURCE_DIR="$PKG_NAME-amlogic-$PKG_VERSION*"
    PKG_PATCH_DIRS="amlogic-3.14"

however i'm getting:

mode of '/home/x/http://LibreELEC.tv/build.LibreELEC-WeTek_Play_2.aarch64-8.0-devel/toolchain/bin/lex' changed from 0664 (rw-rw-r--) to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    /home/x/http://LibreELEC.tv/packages/linux/package.mk: line 18: $'\r': command not found
    Makefile:12: recipe for target 'image' failed
    make: *** [image] Error 127

any clue ?

• Jester You did not attach the file but looks like you have some nonsense inside. Looks like you edited that file in an archaic windows editor because \r is a special character for carriage return. Looks like you have that in one of the variables.

Edited once, last by GDPR-1 (January 15, 2017 at 8:57 AM).

• Jester You did not attach the file but looks like you have some nonsense inside. Looks like you edited that file in an archaic windows editor because \r is a special character for carriage return. Looks like you have that in one of the variables.

I must be drunk, but no, I used vi

Ill have another look, thx

• You can use different modes in vi. Also it can happen if you copy paste something?

To be sure I just did a git reset and edited the package.mk again, it now downloaded from my repo, so lets see what happens.
    build system is an old NUC, so have to wait 4 hours...I need to upgrade, lol

thx

• well, that driver upgrade is proving to be a pain, fixed a couple of errors, but running into more....

drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_platform.c: In function 'stmmac_axi_setup':
    drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_platform.c:115:23: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type 'struct stmmac_axi'
    axi = kzalloc(sizeof(*axi), GFP_KERNEL);
    ^~~~
    drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_platform.c:133:61: error: 'AXI_BLEN' undeclared (first use in this function)
    of_property_read_u32_array(np, "snps,blen", axi->axi_blen, AXI_BLEN);
    ^~~~~~~~
    drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_platform.c:133:61: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
    drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_platform.c: In function 'stmmac_dt_phy':
    drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_platform.c:170:6: error: 'struct plat_stmmacenet_data' has no member named 'phy_node'; did you mean 'phy_addr'?
    plat->phy_node = of_parse_phandle(np, "phy-handle", 0);

I'll play around a bit more, but I dont want to spend too much time re-writing a driver to make it compile....
    [hr]
    P.S.

while waiting on compiles, I tried Raybuntu's 32bit build, no issues so far with the network cutting out (also looks like the mem leak is gone...and youtube live streams work)

if people want to try:
    LibreELEC-WeTek_Play_2.arm-8.0-rb-beta1i.img.gz
    (just upload it to your .update folder, and add a file called .nocompat to skip the warning as ur going from 64 to 32 bit)
    [hr]

Edited once, last by Jester (January 15, 2017 at 2:02 PM).

• update:

Spoke too soon, same issue (network disconnect) happened on the raybuntu built....
    [hr]

In the mean time after some digging:
    So this eth issue seems to be a known kernel/driver problem, the guys over at the ODROID C2 forum have mentioned this too (I believe the WT Play2 and C2 both use S905) it seems S905 now has support in the mainline linux kernel (4.10)

Dev's reading this, the eth issue (at least for the C2) can be fixed by disabling eee-1000t

ODROID Forum • View topic - Odroid C2 mainline kernel support
    stmmac/RTL8211F/Meson GXBB: TX throughput problems

indeed eee is enabled:
    ethtool --show-eee eth0
    EEE Settings for eth0:
    EEE status: enabled - active
    Tx LPI: disabled
    Supported EEE link modes: 100baseT/Full
    1000baseT/Full
    Advertised EEE link modes: 100baseT/Full
    1000baseT/Full
    Link partner advertised EEE link modes: 100baseT/Full
    1000baseT/Full

but disabling it doesnt work:
    ethtool --set-eee eth0 eee off
    ethtool --show-eee eth0
    EEE Settings for eth0:
    EEE status: enabled - active

so its hardcoded in the driver im guessing.

might patch the driver to always disable eee, but not sure if an easy fix, looks like its in here:
    linux-amlogic/stmmac_main.c at amlogic-3.14.y · LibreELEC/linux-amlogic · GitHub

Edited once, last by Jester (January 15, 2017 at 7:07 PM).

• Thanks for testing my build, I'm interested in that issue now ;). In fact thats true the memleak seems to gone in my builds.

Edit: I'll read up and throw a patch in my builds for you to test. I don't have that issue so I need testers.

Edited once, last by GDPR-1 (January 16, 2017 at 9:27 AM).

• Thanks for testing my build, I'm interested in that issue now ;). In fact thats true the memleak seems to gone in my builds.

Edit: I'll read up and throw a patch in my builds for you to test. I don't have that issue so I need testers.

Thanks, i'll test whatever you throw at me.

I was already looking into doing a patch, but im at work now so can't do much.

if you set eee_active = 0 on line 319 of linux-amlogic/stmmac_main.c at amlogic-3.14.y · LibreELEC/linux-amlogic · GitHub that might work, then again, I didnt look proplery yet.

• Thanks, i'll test whatever you throw at me.

I was already looking into doing a patch, but im at work now so can't do much.

if you set eee_active = 0 on line 319 of linux-amlogic/stmmac_main.c at amlogic-3.14.y · LibreELEC/linux-amlogic · GitHub that might work, then again, I didnt look proplery yet.

Here you go: LibreELEC-WeTek_Play_2.arm-8.0-eee_off.tar
    I disabled eee hw cap. I have currently no way to try it

Edit: I've tested it with iperf and 16 parallel Threads and I have Gigabit connection. I never had that issue before so please test it then I can send the patch upstream.

ethtool to query eee gives a Operation not supported.

Edited once, last by GDPR-1 (January 16, 2017 at 11:35 AM).

• Here you go: LibreELEC-WeTek_Play_2.arm-8.0-eee_off.tar
    I disabled eee hw cap. I have currently no way to try it

Edit: I've tested it with iperf and 16 parallel Threads and I have Gigabit connection. I never had that issue before so please test it then I can send the patch upstream.

ethtool to query eee gives a Operation not supported.

Just gave this version a try myself but unfortunately the TVHeadend client doesn't seem to work in this version so I can't really test it to see if it has resolved the network drop out issues for me

• You probably just upgraded from aarch64. This is pure arm 32bit and tvh is working.
    There is an instruction in my thread at wetekforums.

But its probably best to keep away from that version if you don't know what you're doing.

Edited once, last by GDPR-1 (January 16, 2017 at 12:27 PM).

• You are correct, I had upgraded from aarch64.

I have now got the TVHeadend client working so I shall give it a test and see if I experience any network dropouts.

I am aware that this is to be considered as test / potentially buggy software so if I run in to any other problems other than network drop outs I won't mention / complain about them at this stage :)

• Hehe, you can mention everything but it's best to mention it in my Thread over at wetekforums. It is my current build just with EEE disabled.
    If the network adapter doesn't fail it should be save for daily use.

Edited once, last by GDPR-1 (January 16, 2017 at 12:51 PM).