Inspired by RetroPie/recalbox/Lakka, I've modified LE to allow for proper emulator gaming without any addons. I know there's ongoing work to integrate the libretro cores into Kodi with "retroplayer", but for the moment I'm still sticking with a standalone frontend for launching different types of emulators. One reason is that KMS (kernel mode setting) is superior with regards to input lag, another is that not all emulators have a proper core yet (amiga/c64/dosbox for example).
- Based on LibreELEC 8.2
- Kodi 17 Krypton
- AVX2 / FMA optimizations from Clear Linux
- Emulationstation (Herdinger fork with some fixes from RetroPie)
- sselph's CLI scraper included (not automatically used)
- RetroArch with Vulkan support (only Intel for now) and a selection of the most popular cores cross compiled and optimized for LibreELEC
- VICE C64 emulator
- Amiga emulators (Chips' uae4armfor RPi or FS-UAE for Generic)
- Dolphin Wii/GameCube emulator
- PCSX2 (Generic only and requires the Docker addon)
- ResidualVM (Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island engine)
- Dosbox extended SDL2 fork by duganchen
- Shortcut to Emulator frontend from Kodi homescreen (minor Estuary mod, no launcher addon required)
- F2FS/BTRFS/XFS file system support
- LVM / DM-CRYPT support
- Kernel NFS 3/4 server support (/storage exported rw to any IP, exports are in /storage/.config/exports)
- OpenVPN server
- Transmission BitTorrent, SABnzbd and Plex Media Server
- QEMU (statically linked binary to enable running ARM Docker containers on x86_64)
- DRI3 enabled by default on Intel (gives you tear free video in browsers)
- Modesetting driver enabled by default on Atom/Celeron class CPU's
- Google Chrome
- Blu-ray playback (requires MakeMKV addon)
How to ask for support:
1. If your problem exists on regular LibreELEC then create a new thread. That means you should compare with regular LE if possible.
2. Reproduce your issue then post the zip file from the logshare together with information about your hardware.
3. Ignore these instructions and you will be ignored (or maybe insulted depending on the mood).
Link to download: libreelec – Google Drive
Github project: GitHub - escalade/LibreELEC.tv: Just enough OS for KODI
Note to anyone cloning my project: I like to rebase my changes from time to time to get a clean history. This means your local clone will be out of sync when I do. In that case you can do "git fetch origin && git reset --hard origin/emu" to update, but stash any local changes you have first if any.
RA will run in KMS mode by default on Intel GPUs. To use Vulkan, change the video driver in RA settings (restart of RetroArch required) and force disable KMS like this:
This simply creates the file "kms", which the launcher script will check for and make adjustments accordingly. Remember to remove it if you like to use Vulkan or OpenGL again.
To start them do "systemctl enable service ; systemctl start service" in SSH, where service is either "transmission", "sabnzbd", "plex" or "nfs-server"
Gamelists are disabled, if you want to use scraping edit /storage/.config/emulationstation/emulationstation.conf and remove --ignore-gamelist from the arguments. Out of the box it will look for roms in /storage/roms. BIOS files are under /storage/roms/bios. Configured input controllers are DS3/DS4 (bluetooth) and keyboard.
Emulated games don't have any sound!
All the emulators use ALSA by default. Some times there are more than one sound card or more than one output and the sound will go to the wrong place by default. In this case you should have a look at /storage/.config/asound.conf.sample. Use it as a template and save the edited one as /storage/.config/asound.conf. When done correctly the command "speaker-test" should output noise.
It's generally a good idea to turn off "keep audio device alive" under system audio settings in Kodi. That will stop Kodi from hogging your audio device, which can prevent other applications from using it.
Keyboard bindings for Emulationstation
Other useful keyboard buttons
Updating Chrome / Spotify / Plex
These apps are downloaded to /storage/.cache/app.[chrome|spotify|plex]. Delete this directory and the latest version will be downloaded on the next run.
Run Docker ARM containers on x86_64