Rock64 hardware acceleration and kernel versions

• Hello,

Thanks for the great work ! Just discovering LE and impressed to see how many boards are supported.

My question relates to the Rock64 board: I don't understand what kernel source is used as base in LE images.
    Looking at kernel versions (5.10, 6.1, 6.10) I believe you are using rockchip BSP.

However, looking at this, I thougt BSP support for rock64 (rk3328) stopped with kernel 5.10, so I'm surprised to see that you provide a Rock64 image based on kernel 6.1 for LE12.

My apologies if the question is not directly about LE. I'm searching a way to use rk3328 hardware encoding/decoding for Frigate (on armbian).
    I opened an issue there, but also trying to gather as much information as possible, and it looks like you are the most advanced and up to date on this.

I am a beginner with linux kernels etc... Still trying to find a way in the many kernel options for this board (Mainline, BSP, Ayufan, others ?), and which ones allow hardware acceleration for ffmpeg.
    I hope you can help me to understand a bit more and find ressources to get it working.

Thank you !

• I believe you are using rockchip BSP.

LE runs upstream mainline kernels only (inevitably with some patches, but we try to limit that). LE 11.x uses Linux 6.1, LE 12.x uses Linux 6.6 and LE13 (master/dev) currently usues 6.6, 6.9 or 6.10 depending on the SoC platform. All kernel and ffmpeg sources are in the buildsystem.

BSP kernels are universally horrible and need to die in fire :)

• BSP kernels are universally horrible and need to die in fire :)

:D Ok thank you for your message.

That's a surprise for me, I assumed BSP because kernels in rock64 LE images match with BSP releases (5.10 and 6.1 at least).

As a consequence, are Rock64 hardware encoding/decoding capabilities used by LE ?
    If yes, I don't understand how, as I often read "BSP kernel required" for this.